Notre Dame headed to B1G for Hockey | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame headed to B1G for Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Okay, let's play more hypothetical games....

Let's say the B1G offered UConn a Notre Dame/ACC style of package, until UConn is AAU or the B1G feels completely confident in its football program remaining competitive. All sports invite except for a 5-game B1G football scheduling deal for the "interim" (interim = anywhere between 0-15 years). The payout would obviously be less than full share but even a partial B1G payment would roundhouse any full AAC payment we are scheduled to receive. Would UConn accept that?
I think UConn would have to take that deal, and the increased payout is the primary reason why. Someone with more knowledge in this area can correct me if I'm wrong, but UConn's budget situation appears to be a real problem. It seems to me that we're spending money on athletics to try to maintain a P5-level athletic department even though we don't have P5 revenue coming in. Personally, as an alumnus and a fan, I approve of that strategy for as long as we can sustain it (particularly as it relates to our efforts to look attractive as a P5 expansion candidate), but I worry that it may not be financially viable for very long. Accepting the provisional Big 10 membership you propose would probably go a long way toward alleviating that problem. Plus, the step-up in conference affiliation across most sports except hockey probably helps recruiting, and I'd have to think even a partial Big 10 schedule increases the football program's exposure and stature. In almost every way, I think this hypothetical situation would be better than our current one, even if we'd be stuck in limbo for a while as far as permanent full membership.

But as long as we're hypothesizing… If UConn ever entered into such an arrangement with the Big 10, what would happen if another conference came calling during the "interim"? Better to accept full membership in the Big 12 or ACC then, or wait it out and hope the Big 10 eventually brings UConn's football team into the fold?

Reaction Score
Given we only heard about ND yesterday, we can hardly call the lack of an announcement of another team a "delay".
FWIW, it appears you "... only heard about ND yesterday". The ND hockey to B1G rumor's been floating about for some time.

Reaction Score
FWIW, it appears you "... only heard about ND yesterday". The ND hockey to B1G rumor's been floating about for some time.

Yeah, and there are rumors floating around about ASU and UConn, as well. But they haven't made an official announcement. Which they did about ND yesterday. Which is what he was talking about.

Reaction Score
To be fair, ND/Michigan/Michigan St./Ohio St. all played in the CCHA with Alaska Fairbanks which makes Phoenix look like a day trip! Also, I think recruiting-wise promising a yearly vacation out of the mid-west winter could help bring kids to the B1G schools (if uniform style has an impact, it's worth a shot).

And just like the rest of the moves they have made, if they can get the BTN rolling in Pac-12 country that is a huge bonus for the conference even if it doesn't rake in NYC money.
What does a fixed income have to do with.
the level an income is fixed at is variable.
No or very little mortgage , low property taxes , no worry about tuitions, or even saving for retirement all tend to increase descrisionary
I believe the delay relates to ASU's hockey barn. They currently play in a <800 capacity barn. Plans were to renovate it as of 1/30/2015.
http://www.houseofsparky.com/2015/1...-hockey-oceanside-ice-arena-renovation-update

That may change...

Recently, the Arizona Coyotes may be kicked out of Gila River Arena in Glendale after the COG(city of Glendale) voided a 15 year contract between the city and yotes by hiring a former Ice Arizona employee. The COG did this on purpose to get out of a 15 million a year management fee/subsidy paid to ice Arizona for running and managing the team while IA gets the subsidy and pretty much all other revenues other than paying rent. Stupid deal initially for COG, but smart to get out. Bond rating for city went up

Now, tony Leblanc and other fake owners (really the NHL) no longer can survive or afford all the losses without the 15 million arena management fee. They are trying avoid a lame duck season and telling fans they are going to partner with ASU and build a new NHL arena that will house ASU and the yotes.
http://howlinhockey.com/2016/01/31/...hip-with-arizona-state-in-tempe-seems-likely/

I could see the yotes relocating to Vegas or...

With a B1G invite, I could see them partnering with yotes and building a dual use arena for ASU sports and NHL hockey in Tempe. kinda like how were dreaming of a major tenant and uconn in new renovated arena in Hartford.

So, I think it's still up in the air where ASU will play. Unless ocean side gets renovated, they will still play most games @ GRA

Reaction Score
After I read it for a fifth time I got it.

Notre Dame one of 6 from HE making NCAA tourney this year. Penn State arguably just as good as ND but the B1G with an awful Wisconsin and Ohio St crushed the B1G pairwise which is all that matters for selection to tourney. Does ND make it playing a "weaker" B1G schedule this past year? What happens with NBCSports ND hockey contract?

My understanding is that ND retains the NBC Sports contract for its home games and its away games will be on the BTN.

Reaction Score
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Completely disagree. Take the chance to get our foot in the door any way we can. We know realignment isn’t over and if we want a marriage proposal it is better to be dating at the time than not.

Reaction Score
Basically a marriage of convenience. ND gets out of their ridiculous travel situation in Hockey East, and The B1G gets to sell The ND Brand. Win/Win. As far as an 8th I'd like to see them take North Dakota to make the west wing of the conference happy. That said the tea leaves seem to read ASU here.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Completely disagree. Take the chance to get our foot in the door any way we can. We know realignment isn’t over and if we want a marriage proposal it is better to be dating at the time than not.

We wouldn't be a "date" if we went B1G for hockey only. We would be the lowly pissboy.

Reaction Score
ASU is hugely attractive for the B1G
Taking a trip to Phoenix in winter is a huge recruiting tool

What's in for ASU and us taxpayers.
The prospect of making multiple winter trips to the Midwest doesn't. sound like a good deal for the team or our pocketbook.(sorry purse in AZ)
The Coyotes are staying in Phoenix ,but leaving the the West Valley for Scottsdale
does provide ASU a home closer to Tempe.

pj

Reaction Score
ASU is hugely attractive for the B1G
Taking a trip to Phoenix in winter is a huge recruiting tool

What's in for ASU and us taxpayers.
The prospect of making multiple winter trips to the Midwest doesn't. sound like a good deal for the team or our pocketbook.(sorry purse in AZ)
The Coyotes are staying in Phoenix ,but leaving the the West Valley for Scottsdale
does provide ASU a home closer to Tempe.

Where else besides the Midwest is ASU going to find opponents? The question here is why ASU wants a hockey program.

Reaction Score
Now Michigan and ND want to play each other again in football. What a surprise.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Now Michigan and ND want to play each other again in football. What a surprise.

That has been known for a month or so. After the season, it was leaked that both Brian Kelly and Jim Harbaugh want the series renewed. Then Michigan interim AD Jim Hackett was mentioning that in an interview with a Detroit newspaper.

Reaction Score
Remember the B1G is the only P5 that recognizes us as a P5 opponent for scheduling in football. I would want to protect that. Joining them in hockey (hopefully as a start, if we are not in B12) should at least lock that up going forward and hopefully lead to other favorable treatment in scheduling.

Reaction Score
Remember the B1G is the only P5 that recognizes us as a P5 opponent for scheduling in football. I would want to protect that. Joining them in hockey (hopefully as a start, if we are not in B12) should at least lock that up going forward and hopefully lead to other favorable treatment in scheduling.

Reminds me of an excerpt from an article I once read in the Chicago Tribune:

Penn State's Joe Paterno again has publicly pushed for Big Ten expansion, this time during an interview on ESPN.

"Right now we play -- and then we sit and watch," he said. "We were through (with the regular season) Nov. 21st. I think we put ourselves at a little bit of a disadvantage in that we're out of it soon and everybody's talking about everyone but the Big Ten."
pixel.gif

pixel.gif
Paterno reiterated his desire to add Rutgers, Pittsburgh and/or Syracuse to create a Big Ten title game.

"Even Connecticut," he said.
Yes, Joe--even Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Where else besides the Midwest is ASU going to find opponents? The question here is why ASU wants a hockey program.

You beat me to it. This was my exact question. Why is ASU doing this? Based on Phoenix Coyote Attendance it doesn't feel like there is some burning passion for the sport in the area. Why all of the additional cost for what likely will be very little return? This feels like having Alaska Fairbanks start a beach volleyball team. Sure they might be able to do it, but why?

Reaction Score
You beat me to it. This was my exact question. Why is ASU doing this? Based on Phoenix Coyote Attendance it doesn't feel like there is some burning passion for the sport in the area. Why all of the additional cost for what likely will be very little return? This feels like having Alaska Fairbanks start a beach volleyball team. Sure they might be able to do it, but why?

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...vate-hockey-team-to-ncaa-division-i/19227825/

A $32 million donation from a guy named Don Mullet.
Plus, the most likely 1st round draft pick this year for the NHL is from Scottsdale, AZ. (Not common in the SW)

Auston Matthews
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=199898

Reaction Score
We wouldn't be a "date" if we went B1G for hockey only. We would be the lowly pissboy.
Sorry but that is the same misguided view that has us in the AAC, that kept us from a 7 year home and away with ND in football. That arrogance is not how JC built ou bb program or how KO talks today. Anyone anytime anywhere to get ahead. We adopt that view we will get there. If not we keep sliding down the rabbit hole

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The ASU addition makes sense at first glance, but once you peel back the layers I can't see how it's a good idea. The red flags that I see:

I may be wrong and ASU may get the nod as team 8, but I would be very weary of them if I were a B1G school president.

Out of curiosity, I checked the price to fly Minneapolis-Phoenix vs Minneapolis-Columbus OH some days in January 2017.
$300 to Phoenix, $900 to Columbus
Just one example, but doesnt seem a big expense (other than time). And there is the bonus of connecting with AZ alums.

Yes AZ is not hockey territory, but things are different for a college -- you get students who want to support their school, and then can get drawn in if the environment is right. I'm sure the NHL doesnt help itself with its ticket prices.

ASU is certainly an experiment. Similar to Denver starting a lax program a while back, which has turned into a success.

Reaction Score
ASU is creating a program for players who are from the southwest and want to stay there. The NHL's expansion into the Sun Belt has actually succeeded in creating grassroots movements for youth involvement in hockey. #1 pick in the upcoming draft is a kid from AZ. It's a matter of time before other schools without natural ice step up. The rule that now prohibits D3 schools from establishing D1 hockey programs sucks. Imagine Sewanee with a D1 program. Start forming a conference with UAH, etc. Would be nice to have them instead of some SEC schools.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of an excerpt from an article I once read in the Chicago Tribune:

Penn State's Joe Paterno again has publicly pushed for Big Ten expansion, this time during an interview on ESPN.

"Right now we play -- and then we sit and watch," he said. "We were through (with the regular season) Nov. 21st. I think we put ourselves at a little bit of a disadvantage in that we're out of it soon and everybody's talking about everyone but the Big Ten."
pixel.gif

pixel.gif
Paterno reiterated his desire to add Rutgers, Pittsburgh and/or Syracuse to create a Big Ten title game.

"Even Connecticut," he said.
Yes, Joe--even Connecticut.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...-delany-louisville-and-south-florida-big-east

One source described those terms as "not prohibitive," meaning it would not dissuade the Big Ten from attempting to add one or more from the Big East.

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany declined comment Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom