Notre Dame 2024-25 Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame 2024-25 Season

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
ND Projected to Win ACC; Hidalgo Named ACC-Preseason POY, Joining Citron, Miles on First Team

In the meantime, Transfer Liza Karlen and frosh Kate Koval are named to the Newcomer List.

Liatu King, who made All-ACC playing for Pitt, was snubbed for All-ACC Honors, which screams that the ACC Panel decided they could only have so many Irish on it. And she didn't make ACC Newcomer because -- well, she's not new to the ACC, just the Irish.

In regards to the teams' projected finishes, the Irish took the vast majority of the votes, with NC State getting a few votes and coming in second, with Duke third, Louisville fourth and Florida State fifth. Newcomer Stanford was projected to finish seventh.

In any case, here's the article Irish beat writer Tyler Horka wrote from an Irish perspective:

Reaction Score
I think the Irish will need all the talent they can get given a really tough schedule. Obviously early but Massey has their strength of schedule #3. His list is
1. Iowa
2. South Carolina
3. Notre Dame
4. Louisville
5. UCLA
6. Duke
7. Stanford
8. USC
9. Texas
10. Maryland
16. Connecticut

Of course this will change over time and I think the conference reshuffle moved talent into the ACC, BIG, ,SEC from the old version of the PAC, etc.

I was very surprised at Uconn placement as they are usually much higher. But as these very early rankings change so does the strength of schedule.

Massey differs from the ACC panel and has the ACC at Stanford, NC State, Notre Dame, Duke, Virginia Tech, Louisville, North Carolina, etc.

The attached has to be sorted by SSF to get the strength of schedule result: Massey Ratings - College Basketball Women's : NCAA D1 Ratings

Reaction Score
ND Projected to Win ACC; Hidalgo Named ACC-Preseason POY, Joining Citron, Miles on First Team

In the meantime, Transfer Liza Karlen and frosh Kate Koval are named to the Newcomer List.

Liatu King, who made All-ACC playing for Pitt, was snubbed for All-ACC Honors, which screams that the ACC Panel decided they could only have so many Irish on it. And she didn't make ACC Newcomer because -- well, she's not new to the ACC, just the Irish.

In regards to the teams' projected finishes, the Irish took the vast majority of the votes, with NC State getting a few votes and coming in second, with Duke third, Louisville fourth and Florida State fifth. Newcomer Stanford was projected to finish seventh.

In any case, here's the article Irish beat writer Tyler Horka wrote from an Irish perspective:

I hope you understand why I'm not getting into it over the relative coaching skills in the other thread. I think Coach Ivey is very good and her time as a point guard wining a championship then, as Muffets assistant, then the NBA, qualifies her very well. Those are facts but how good she is vs another coach with a different history and a different group of players gets to be a shouting match. Even the results of one game only tells you about that game.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I hope you understand why I'm not getting into it over the relative coaching skills in the other thread. I think Coach Ivey is very good and her time as a point guard wining a championship then, as Muffets assistant, then the NBA, qualifies her very well. Those are facts but how good she is vs another coach with a different history and a different group of players gets to be a shouting match. Even the results of one game only tells you about that game.
Oh yes....;)

Reaction Score
I think the Irish will need all the talent they can get given a really tough schedule. Obviously early but Massey has their strength of schedule #3. His list is
1. Iowa
2. South Carolina
3. Notre Dame
4. Louisville
5. UCLA
6. Duke
7. Stanford
8. USC
9. Texas
10. Maryland
16. Connecticut

Of course this will change over time and I think the conference reshuffle moved talent into the ACC, BIG, ,SEC from the old version of the PAC, etc.

I was very surprised at Uconn placement as they are usually much higher. But as these very early rankings change so does the strength of schedule.

Massey differs from the ACC panel and has the ACC at Stanford, NC State, Notre Dame, Duke, Virginia Tech, Louisville, North Carolina, etc.

The attached has to be sorted by SSF to get the strength of schedule result: Massey Ratings - College Basketball Women's : NCAA D1 Ratings
How is UCONN at 16?? We face ND, SC, USC, Iowa State, Louisville, etc. Our conference isn't great outside of Creighton and maybe Butler this season but come on. That's multiple top 10 teams.

Reaction Score
How is UCONN at 16?? We face ND, SC, USC, Iowa State, Louisville, etc. Our conference isn't great outside of Creighton and maybe Butler this season but come on. That's multiple top 10 teams.
I was surprised to but if you drill into it the basis is his current rankings.

Uconn only plays 2 teams ranked 10 or higher, ND and South Carolina. Just picking Texas they play 4, ND, South Carolina twice, and LSU.

Most of the teams you listed playing Uconn are not in Masseys top 10, only ND and South Carolina.

All of this changes as the rankings change over time.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
My recollection based on past thread dialogues was Massey is still skewed with last years games as it will take 10 or so games this year to ferret out how teams really are.

I hate to say this to the ND fans, but I was happy to read about the injury concerns with Watson and Westbeld as that is where UConn is thinnest in experience. Not sure what to make of Koval as she was #5 in Hoopgurlz and Hildago was awesome last year in her debut so with both Watson and Westbeld on the mend, playing time will be given that Koval could shine. How good is she really, no one knows at this juncture. The only freshmen center who was an immediate success on the high profile level was Aliyah Boston. All other bigs took some time to fully realize their impact-Stewie, Wilson, Brink. Selfishly, I hope Koval takes lots of time.... :)

Reaction Score
I was surprised to but if you drill into it the basis is his current rankings.

Uconn only plays 2 teams ranked 10 or higher, ND and South Carolina. Just picking Texas they play 4, ND, South Carolina twice, and LSU.

Most of the teams you listed playing Uconn are not in Masseys top 10, only ND and South Carolina.

All of this changes as the rankings change over time.
How on earth did Stanford make his list? Who do they have left??

Reaction Score
My recollection based on past thread dialogues was Massey is still skewed with last years games as it will take 10 or so games this year to ferret out how teams really are.

I hate to say this to the ND fans, but I was happy to read about the injury concerns with Watson and Westbeld as that is where UConn is thinnest in experience. Not sure what to make of Koval as she was #5 in Hoopgurlz and Hildago was awesome last year in her debut so with both Watson and Westbeld on the mend, playing time will be given that Koval could shine. How good is she really, no one knows at this juncture. The only freshmen center who was an immediate success on the high profile level was Aliyah Boston. All other bigs took some time to fully realize their impact-Stewie, Wilson, Brink. Selfishly, I hope Koval takes lots of time.... :)
If the only way to win is hope for injuries I'd rather not play, but to each their own. I honestly hope every team ND plays is at full strength so if ND wins the only excuse you have left are to blame the refs. I don't mean to offend you but that's how I feel.

12au

Baylor WBB
Reaction Score
Massey preseason rankings mean basically nothing. All it is is averaging each teams success for last 2 or 3 years. Personnel is not looked at at all.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Massey preseason rankings mean basically nothing. All it is is averaging each teams success for last 2 or 3 years. Personnel is not looked at at all.
This point has needed to be made every year it seems. Thank you. Meaningless is the word to describe Massey preseason.

Reaction Score
How on earth did Stanford make his list? Who do they have left??

Massey bases it's entire preseason ranking on the past and makes no allowances for changes in players or coaches.

Reaction Score
That might be, I've never asked him.
I actually don't know how he gets them but I'll send him a note to ask. I'm curious now.

Reaction Score
That might be, I've never asked him.

I actually don't know how he gets them but I'll send him a note to ask. I'm curious now.
I asked him and he uses a "weighted average from previous seasons."

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Yup.
Crickets abound in South Bend on that, so fingers are crossed that the boot is for pre-cautionary measures only.
Irish injury streak carries over from last year to this pre-season: Kylee Watson is probably out rehabbing the ACL she suffered in the play-offs; KK Bransford decided to take a redshirt year off to rehab a lower-leg injury; and, Maddy Westbeld having foot surgery a month ago. While Westbeld said she hoped to be back this season, who knows what the timeline is? And now this.

Thank the Dome, Coach Ivey recruited both Lizzie Karlen and Liatu King from the transfer portal. Very much having fingers crossed and thinking good thoughts for both Westbeld and Kate Koval.
Update: Koval is out of the boot and practicing as if nothing was ever wrong.
Using the boot now seems to being used to treat a variety of day-to-day issues as well as serious ones, from minor sprains to bone bruises. Sonia Citron looked to have suffered a sprain in a scrimmage the other day and as spotted in a boot for a day or three. She's fine now, too.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Skylar Diggins-Smith Attends ND Practice

I'm not sure where Diggins-Smith lives in the offseason, but gosh knows she has deep roots in the South Bend area. Whenever she's in town, she will drop by to see Niele Ivey, who she has remained very close to since graduation. In this case, she practiced with the team and that's got to be a positive for Olivia Miles and Hannah Hidalgo. Plus, for newbies like Kate Koval, Liza Karlen and Liatu King, cool to see one of the Irish's more well-known alums in person.

Liked her talk about accountability ("look in the mirror").

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom