Notre Dame 2023-24 Season (merged) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame 2023-24 Season (merged)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Dillon, Miles is cleared to play but is not? How come?
@Geew1992
From the ND sources, I've heard she's cleared to practice. However, Coach Ivey (and anyone associated with the team) says it's up to her and her doctor (straight from a lawyer's mouth to Sonia Citron, probably her closest teammate). Most of us believe this was a serious injury along ;the lines of an ACL, and the idea of her being back now after surgery in April/May is usually unthinkable. Think of players who have had ACL's, from Bri Turner to Paige Bueckers, and it took awhile to get up to speed.

We haven't seen any pictures of her in group activities in practice, so I''m thinking she's at the start of the practice proposition. If Miles can really come back this season, I'm guesstimating the ACC part of the season. Would love to be wrong here, but I'm going all Missouri: show me. ;)

I also think there's a possibility of her red-shirting, which is also a story gaining posts. I'd love to have 'Liv back to play with Hannah Hidalgo and Soni Citron in what would be a dynamite backcourt, but want 'Liv to do so when she's ready and able.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Believe it or not, I think Hannah's tremendous success might've hurt a bit in the second half in that she tried to ISO very often and was driving a bit too deep underneath.
I agree. My impression of Hidalgo was that she is very talented, but she’s not a point guard in college without a lot of work. I’m not surprised by that—what a game to debut as a freshman in the PG position. She‘s definitely comfortable 1v1 and when she learns to balance that with court vision and playing within the system, she’ll be a great asset to ND. Talented kid and I liked her confidence.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Canada's Off to the Olympics by virtue of winning the first two games in the FIFA Qualifying Tournament.
ND alum Natalie Achonwa, the Canadian National Team's captain, and Cassandre Prosper, currently on ND WBB, were part of this team.
Prosper will miss ND's game vs. NJIT on Sunday to participate in the tourney.

Reaction Score
Canada's Off to the Olympics by virtue of winning the first two games in the FIFA Qualifying Tournament.
ND alum Natalie Achonwa, the Canadian National Team's captain, and Cassandre Prosper, currently on ND WBB, were part of this team.

Not a big surprise that Canada qualified for the FIBA OQT in February 2024. The team took the Bronze Medal at the 2023 Americup this past summer finishing behind Gold Medalist Brazil and Silver winning Team USA.

Aaliyah Edwards started for Team Canada at Americup. I’ve wondered if she’ll play in the FOQT in China in Feb. Same weekend as the UConn @ So Carolina game.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Not a big surprise that Canada qualified for the FIBA OQT in February 2024. The team took the Bronze Medal at the 2023 Americup this past summer finishing behind Gold Medalist Brazil and Silver winning Team USA.

Aaliyah Edwards started for Team Canada at Americup. I’ve wondered if she’ll play in the FOQT in China in Feb. Same weekend as the UConn @ So Carolina game.
That's a tough decision for Edwards and UConn.
I think it was a relatively easy for Coach Ivey and Prosper. With all due respect for the NJIT Highlanders, ND should be able to find "next women up" for that assignment. Take it from any Irish fan, S. Carolina is a different story, particularly for a forward like Edwards. All hands on deck would be my thought.

Reaction Score

Clarification required here. The goal of the Olympics aren't guaranteed in this phase. They need to do well in China.

My gut feeling is no. My thinking is with this potentially being her final season, her focus will be on UConn.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Hannah Hidalgo Named ACC Rookie of the Week

She's averaging 28.5 points per game on 46% overall shooting (50% from three), but the eye grabber is 15 steals in two games, including 12 against NJIT Highlanders yesterday, tying the dozen swiped against Valparaiso by one Marina Mabrey.

Congrats, Hannah.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Ukrainian Koval Officially Also "Irish" Now

Kateryna “Kate” Koval, a 6-5 post who ranks as the No. 5 overall recruit in the 2024 class per the ESPN HoopGurlz Rankings, is originally from Ukraine but plays her high school basketball at Long Island Lutheran (Brookville, N.Y.).

Key Quote from Coach Ivey of ND:
“She’s skilled, versatile and extremely competitive. Kate has the ability to dominate on the block but also step out and shoot from the perimeter. Her excellent passing and very high IQ and motor will complement our style of play and identity perfectly. The impact she will make on our program will be immediate and massive.”

Next Steps for Irish (in Roster Building);

- There was a lag in Koval signing her LOI (happened last week, according to LuHI) which most Benchers thought was due to Coach Ivey waiting to hear of Mackenly Randolph's decision. Our gut is that -- while there's no word from Randolph -- she'll go to Louisville or Michigan State.

- This last (edited) paragraph in the attached press release indicates ND strategy for the forward position:
"Notre Dame currently has four forwards on the team: Becky Obinma, Nat Marshall, Kylee Watson and Maddy Westbeld. Marshall, Watson and Westbeld each have an extra year of eligibility, should they choose to use it."

- Think the Irish would love to have all of them come back, particularly Westbeld, who has played the forward position for four years.
Watson is strictly a center, but Marshall can play both. The Irish could then work on signing a forward in the Class of 2025, with forward Leah Macy from Kentucky and the Irish showing a lot of mutual interest in each other.

- Possible projected starting lineup in 2024-25: Olivia Miles, Hannah Hidalgo, Sonia Citron, Maddy Westbeld, Kate Koval.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Notre Dame Rout Over Northwestern Marred by 3rd Qtr. Injury to Sonia Citron

After scoring 19 points in the first half and adding another 4 in the third quarter, Sonia Citron's knee was hit by teammate Cass Prosper, who fell into it. Citron lied on the floor for a few minutes, while the ND team huddled and the arena went silent.

ND went on to (more than) double up N'Western, 110-52. Citron's 23 and Hidalgo's 21 led the Irish, who had 5 players in double figures.
Everyone on the Irish scored and KK Bransford made her first appearance of the year. Still, it's a bittersweet win for the Irish, who have to wait on a report for the player Niele Ivey refers to as the "glue" of her Irish squad.

Best to Soni.

Reaction Score

After scoring 19 points in the first half and adding another 4 in the third quarter, Sonia Citron's knee was hit by teammate Cass Prosper, who fell into it. Citron lied on the floor for a few minutes, while the ND team huddled and the arena went silent.

ND went on to (more than) double up N'Western, 110-52. Citron's 23 and Hidalgo's 21 led the Irish, who had 5 players in double figures.
Everyone on the Irish scored and KK Bransford made her first appearance of the year. Still, it's a bittersweet win for the Irish, who have to wait on a report for the player Niele Ivey refers to as the "glue" of her Irish squad.

Best to Soni.

Ugh…. Way too many injuries. Let’s hope it isn’t serious

Reaction Score

Best to Soni.
No way…how horrible. They can’t catch a break.

Hoping for the best. She is a great player and has always seemed like a consummate teammate.

Reaction Score
Ugh…. Way too many injuries. Let’s hope it isn’t serious
I watched the game and it seemed like it could be serious based on how the hit was taken. She was standing with straight legs under the basket and her teammate fell into her right leg around the knee area, pushing it in the wrong direction. I am no doctor but I feel like that is a recipe for a ACL or MCL tear or strain. But hopefully it is minor.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I watched the game and it seemed like it could be serious based on how the hit was taken. She was standing with straight legs under the basket and her teammate fell into her right leg around the knee area, pushing it in the wrong direction. I am no doctor but I feel like that is a recipe for a ACL or MCL tear or strain. But hopefully it is minor.
Your description mirrors everyone that has rewatched portions of this sequence. Kind of reminds me of when someone rolls up on an unsuspecting offensive lineman. At best, a hyperextension...at worst, what you described. Soni is considered the ultimate teammate and "the glue" by Coach Ivey, so everyone connected with the ND WBB program is holding their breath.

Next morning edit: Here's the play that led to the inury:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Saw it as well and that was my first thought. Like you, hoping it's minor.

Reaction Score

Best to Soni.
Dang!! I flipped to another game before all this happened. Sonia was cooking in that 1st half. I feel bad for her and hope that it isn't anything too serious.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
This is terrible. Hoping for the best for Sonia. I never want to see a player injured.
It's got to be pure anguish for Coach Ivey. Olivia Miles and Sonia Citron committed to Ivey within a week of Ivey getting the HC job and those commitments meant the world to her, not just on the court but as an emotional boost. You can see the affection Ivey has whenever they're together and the reliance she has on her play. Sigh.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Good play for Kylee Watson of Notre Dame: a rebound-tip pass to Maddy Westbeld, followed by two lay-ups vs. Illiinois.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Irish led by 24 each by Maddy Westbeld (pictured above) and Hannah Hidalgo, who also had 8 assists and 6 steals. Maddy shot 10-16 from the field, including 3-3 from three-pt. land, and snared 8 rebounds.

Guard KK Bransford, in only her second game back from injury, played 28 minutes and scored 11 points. Many of those were as a result of her 6 offensive rebounds in which she was fouled, making 6-8 free throws. KK played quite a bit with the absence of Sonia Citron.

Best news of the post-game was that Coach Ivey said Citron suffered a knee sprain, will not need surgery and is expected back within a few weeks. Will follow that closely, but if the prognosis is firm, that's great news for all concerned.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Worrisome that ND was not able to control the drives of Illinois' top three scorers and given the crazy refereeing most drives ended with a foul call. This spiralled into being more careful defending drives and the cycle continues.

Some of that will sort out as ND gets used to playing without Sonia but I think the defense has work to do.

Reaction Score
Worrisome that ND was not able to control the drives of Illinois' top three scorers and given the crazy refereeing most drives ended with a foul call. This spiralled into being more careful defending drives and the cycle continues.

Some of that will sort out as ND gets used to playing without Sonia but I think the defense has work to do.
It’s a little puzzling because I thought ND’s defense was pretty good last year and Hidalgo is a huge upgrade over Mabrey.

Reaction Score
It’s a little puzzling because I thought ND’s defense was pretty good last year and Hidalgo is a huge upgrade over Mabrey.
I think you gotta look at it like Hidalgo is replacing Miles and Dewolfe is replacing Mabrey.

Miles was a pretty good defender, ans has the potential to be better. Her defense is closer to Hidalgo's, but Hannah's is obviously better. Dewolfe is replacing Mabrey and seems to be a similar defender. If Miles and Hidalgo played the 1 and 2 their defense would be a lot better.

Prosper showed promise as a 3 defensively last season when she entered early, but she has been struggling so far. She has the physical tools, she just needs to get her fundamentals down. She is going from a 4 in HS to a 3 in college. There's going to be a learning curve.

Bransford is coming back from injury and is a smart and good defender. I think she should be in the starting lineup instead of Prosper while Citron is out. And honestly remain a starter when she comes back and replace Dewolfe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom