Notre Dame 2021-2022 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Her waiver must be based on the '19-20 season and her injury though I thought the NCAA rule on that is pretty cut and dry. She played 9 games at the end of the season, not the beginning of the season.

That was my initial take on it as well. Perhaps Maya/ND/whomever is writing this waiver are addressing it from the perspective that Stanford/Maya's year was cut off due to COVID prematurely ending the season?

Also, if that's the case, I'm also wondering if the waiver enlists Stanford's buy-in?

As noted in my initial answer to this and other questions (Mabrey), I'm addressing this from the perspective of a WBB observer. (ignore that Dome in the corner ;))

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That was my initial take on it as well. Perhaps Maya/ND/whomever is writing this waiver are addressing it from the perspective that the year was cut off due to COVID prematurely ending the season?

What ended prematurely? ND played in the ACC tournament and at 13-18 would have not made the NCAAs nor the WNIT.

NDs season was done before Covid cancelled everything.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
What ended prematurely? ND played in the ACC tournament and at 13-18 would have not made the NCAAs nor the WNIT.

NDs season was done before Covid cancelled everything.
Stanford's season ended without playing in the NCAAs. And that's who we were talking about.

@UConnCat and I were in a back and forth about Maya Dodson, who at the time was playing for Stanford. (It's right there.)

Notre Dame had absolutely nothing at all to do with Ms. Dodson or Stanford at that period in time.

Reaction Score
Stanford's season ended without playing in the NCAAs. And that's who we were talking about.

@UConnCat and I were in a back and forth about Maya Dodson, who at the time was playing for Stanford. (It's right there.)

Notre Dame had absolutely nothing at all to do with Ms. Dodson or Stanford at that period in time.
forgot she was at stanford then, thanks

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I was also foggy about timelines too. You weren't the only one.;)
forgot she was at stanford then, thanks

No worries. With Maya Dodson taking the 2020-21 year off and then transferring to ND, it's hard to keep track of when she (last) played at Stanford. (BTW, it was the PAC championship game vs. Oregon).

On top of that, there have been a steady stream of Stanford players who have taken a year off (for various reasons), graduated and then come to ND. One of them, Marta Sniezek, did play all 35 games for that 2019-20 Notre Dame team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Perhaps Maya/ND/whomever is writing this waiver are addressing it from the perspective that Stanford/Maya's year was cut off due to COVID prematurely ending the season?

Also, if that's the case, I'm also wondering if the waiver enlists Stanford's buy-in?
Every player's 2019-2020 season/year was cut off prematurely due to Covid. There was nothing unique to Stanford/Maya about that perspective. Plus, the NCAA has already declared that the 2020-2021 season doesn't count against the 4 years of eligibility and Maya opted out for that season.

If, as suspected, she's seeking a medical hardship for the 2019-2020 season, the NCAA rules on medical hardship set forth certain criteria which the student athlete must meet. One of the criteria is that "The injury or illness occurs prior to the first competition of the second half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport . . . and results in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season"

Maya's injury clearly occurred during the first half of the season but it did not result in "incapacity to compete for the remainder of the playing season" since she returned to play in Stanford's final 9 games. Maya must have known that doing so would use up a year of eligibility but she decided to play anyway. Perhaps she'll argue the reason she returned was to play in the NCAAT which was then canceled.

Still, it's the NCAA and we've seen unusual waiver rulings during the past few years. I expect we'll see another.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
ND Explodes for 38 in 1st Quarter; Wins by 44, 108-64, Over Oklahoma at Norman

Dara Mabrey had 17 points in the first quarter, outscoring Oklahoma (12) by herself. And the Irish never looked back. Overall, the Irish did a very good job of keeping OU from running and from allowing open looks from beyond three. Williams was kept in check (9 points) and Robertson, who scored 15 of OU's 25 in the first half, finished with 19. Mabrey finished with 29 and Sonia Citron had 25, including 11 for 11 from the FT line, as well as 6 rebounds and 4 steals. Maddy Westbeld had 13 points and 9 rebounds.
'Liv Miles finished with 12 assists, 9 pts. and 7 rebounds. Assist ranged from a "euro pass" to Citron on a fast break and a side-arm skip laser to Citron who took one cross-dribble and drained a spot-up mid-range jumper. Two are joined at the brain.

Highest point total for Irish in NCAA Tourney (previous high was 99).

Irish will head to Bridgeport to face NC State. I might, too. :D;)

Here are some highlights:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ND Explodes for 38 in 1st Quarter; Wins by 44, 108-64, Over Oklahoma at Norman

Dara Mabrey had 17 points in the first quarter, outscoring Oklahoma (12) by herself. And the Irish never looked back. Overall, the Irish did a very good job of keeping OU from running and from allowing open looks from beyond three. Williams was kept in check (9 points) and Robertson, who scored 15 of OU's 25 in the first half, finished with 19. Mabrey finished with 29 and Sonia Citron had 25, including 11 for 11 from the FT line, as well as 6 rebounds and steals. Maddy Westbeld had 13 points and 9 rebounds.
'Liv Miles has 12 assists, 9 pts. and 7 rebounds.

Highest point total for Irish in NCAA Tourney (previous high was 99).

Irish will head to Bridgeport to face NC State. I might, too. :D;)
Incredible balance from the Irish. Maya’s early dominance opened up Maddy’s mid range jumper and good looks for Dara and Sonia and they all shot well. Just a beautiful offensive clinic and a smart, well executed defensive game plan.

As we all know, defensive pressure and equal talented bigs makes for a huge challenge as we move forward. Liv’s court awareness is a huge factor, but we must score against better athletes than we’ve faced so far in the tournament who will bring more defensive pressure. Patience is going to be very important at certain times.

Really excited about the rematch with NC State. Maya staying out of foul trouble will be huge. Hoping Dara can continue her 3 point accuracy and Maddy hitting her mid range jumper. Sonia getting to the free throw line is another big bonus. It’s going to be a challenge. Fun watching this team develop and hoping we can grind out a win Saturday. Go Irish!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Incredible balance from the Irish. Maya’s early dominance opened up Maddy’s mid range jumper and good looks for Dara and Sonia and they all shot well. Just a beautiful offensive clinic and a smart, well executed defensive game plan.

As we all know, defensive pressure and equal talented bigs makes for a huge challenge as we move forward. Liv’s court awareness is a huge factor, but we must score against better athletes than we’ve faced so far in the tournament who will bring more defensive pressure. Patience is going to be very important at certain times.

Really excited about the rematch with NC State. Maya staying out of foul trouble will be huge. Hoping Dara can continue her 3 point accuracy and Maddy hitting her mid range jumper. Sonia getting to the free throw line is another big bonus. It’s going to be a challenge. Fun watching this team develop and hoping we can grind out a win Saturday. Go Irish!
Maddy's been hitting the mid-range more consistently the last few games, which seems to have energized her rebounding and loose-ball situations. Maybe having older sister Kat "in the house" to watch/support helps. Like you, I'm excited about the NC State rematch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All I can say is if they play like they did against Okie, they have a great shot to win it all.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
IIRC with regards to Dodson (who had foot issues for much of her time at Stanford), the last few games she played were primarily because she wanted to have a chance to play again with her classmate and good friend Nadia Fingall. Will be interesting to see what happens going forward but either way Stanford and its fans very proud of her play (and would love to see them advance).

Reaction Score
Great game. Just couldn’t hold on to the 4th quarter lead down the stretch.

First tournament run under the new coach. Player and coach got some good tournament experience that should carry forward.

Reaction Score
Not a surprise. Like all year, Notre Dame wilted against defensive pressure with bad passes, steals and untimely shot selection. It doesn’t help that Miles and Westbeld had to play the entire games, resulting in fatigue. This is not a NC caliber team, but they played their hearts out despite having roster gaps.

The Irish desperately need another guard who can shoot, play defense and handle the ball against elite pressure, and another versatile Westbeld-like player who can be a handle the ball, create her shot and be a shut down defender. If Dodson doesn’t come back they must find as capable a big in the portal.

I do not believe that, if Dodson comes back, standing pat with Bransford and the current roster will solve this team’s issues. There is a lack of athleticism that must be addressed if ND is going to take the next step. NC State exposed this. Again. It would have been worse had the Irish advanced.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Have to say they looked clueless on sideline in-bounds plays. That is not a difficult in-bounds as you have the whole court to work with and they couldn't get anyone open. That should be coaching 101.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Too many mistakes down the stretch.

Miles didn't box out and gave up the easy putback.

Then Miles is about to dish to Dodson for an easy layup only for Ivey to call timeout. Then Mabrey's spin moves gifts a turnover.

And Westbeld still had an open 3 to retake the lead but left it just short.

NC State really turned up the defense in th 4th and just grinded it out. More experienced team and more experienced coach and that was the difference in the end.

Reaction Score
whoever lost this game I would feel so bad for, both teams really did great tho!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Too many mistakes down the stretch.

Miles didn't box out and gave up the easy putback.

Then Miles is about to dish to Dodson for an easy layup only for Ivey to call timeout. Then Mabrey's spin moves gifts a turnover.

And Westbeld still had an open 3 to retake the lead but left it just short.

NC State really turned up the defense in th 4th and just grinded it out. More experienced team and more experienced coach and that was the difference in the end.
So, on your opinion and to put you on the spot, who wins Monday night? :)

Reaction Score
It depends if Dodson gets the ok for one more year. If not, they would need the top big in the portal. Whoever that may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom