Noticed a change in the Courant's reporting on investigation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Noticed a change in the Courant's reporting on investigation

pj

Reaction Score
You seem spot on with your speculation. What makes matters worse, is we are up against super clean programs. I can't imagine schools like St. John's, Duke, Texas, LSU, and Kentucky are doing any of the things we are accused of doing.

Heh. The punishment for firing Emmert is octuple jeopardy. None of those schools did that.

C

Chief00

Unlike you, I don’t pretend to know things. Like posting on the board about Drummond coming to the a UConn game while he’s tweeting from a court in Michigan.
He was coming but his plans changed and there was a communication break down - asked Facey. And who was the guy who posted in July and August 2011 that Drummond was going to UConn in Sept 2011 when everyone else thought he was going to prep school? It was Chief. We have known each other a long time.

Reaction Score
He was coming but his plans changed and there was a communication break down - asked Facey. And who was the guy who posted in July and August 2011 that Drummond was going to UConn in Sept 2011 when everyone else thought he was going to prep school? It was Chief. We have known each other a long time.
How do you keep things fresh after 7 years?

Reaction Score
This is pure speculation, but if I were guessing the most likely potential violations, I'd say tampering with Sid Wilson while he was at St John's (remember a certain insider posting we might get 2 Brewster players before Sid had left St John's and before Kisunas committed?), and maybe investigations into whether inappropriate contacts were made to Montez Mathis, Cam Reddish. Jalen Carey, Mo Bamba (remember Okafor and Diarra practicing with him in New York?), Tremont Waters (remember Ray Allen happening to meet him at the Jordan classic?), and/or Hamidou Diallo. All of those players were of high importance to the staff at a time when they were struggling. Then the NCAA probably conducted interviews with the transfers assuming that they might have ill will against Ollie and would spill any beans in exchange for a promise of immunity. That's 7 recruits + 3 transfers and if you interview them plus 4 others per player who had knowledge of the player's recruitment, 2 hour interview per person, you would have 100 hours of tape.
What you outlined is spelled
W I T C H H U N T
That’s were you know the conclusion you want and try every possible way to get there.

C

Chief00

How do you keep things fresh after 7 years?
Good question, never really thought about it. Chief changes with technology but not principle core person. Usually, just kind of pick it up where we leave it off as with anyone else. You know, when Dre tried to get ahold of UConn after his decision, he said the first person he talked to was KO. It took him awhile to connect with Calhoun. Kind of ironic given poor recruiting or retention in recent years.

Reaction Score
Thanks.

So past coaches/staffers that could have already been interviewed: Glen Miller, Karl Hobbs, George Blaney, David Sevush and Danny Griffin
And maybe Nike.

Reaction Score
I am letting the legal system run its course. Innocent until proven guilty.

That's where i'm at. At this point I really, honestly believe Ollie's so straight and narrow that he's that way almost to a fault. What I don't think he's very good at is managing. And while it's nothing PUBLIC - the communication issues with players, other coaches, all the turnover - I can see things falling through the cracks. Or him not catching it. That's what I'm most worried with. It seems almost impossible that with all the turnover the past few years, that they might have stepped on a grenade even accidentally. That's what I'm worried about.

If it's with players who didn't come here - then what's the connections with the schools they actually went to?

And the interviews - I mean that goes one of two ways. 100 hours seems like something serious to me. The flip side of it is that if they already have 100 hours worth of interviews done - AND this hasn't broken until now - that it could just be a fishing trip. And they don't have anything worth getting worked up for.

So it could be anything. I'm just going to let it play out. It's all anyone really can do.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
And who was the guy who posted in July and August 2011 that Drummond was going to UConn in Sept 2011 when everyone else thought he was going to prep school? It was Chief. We have known each other a long time.

Im going to have to take this one Chief. Can’t let you take my ONLY shining moment on the board. :cool:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If it's with players who didn't come here - then what's the connections with the schools they actually went to?

Well, according to the scant bit of info we've got, the unnamed players have gotten immunity on these deals, so I'm not sure the connections with other schools even matters.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Well, according to the scant bit of info we've got, the unnamed players have gotten immunity on these deals, so I'm not sure the connections with other schools even matters.
Sounds like "I was offered $5K from UConn but took $10K to go to $$U".

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I posted this in another thread but figured it was worthy of its own thread.

Back on Friday, when the NCAA investigation was just coming to light, the Courant put out their article that 100 hours of interviews had been conducted. Here was the original excerpt from their article that I copied and pasted:

So the initial report was that the NCAA had conducted 100 hours of interviews with both current and former people from within the program. The article from Friday has been updated and that excerpt now reads "Sources told The Courant the NCAA has already conducted roughly 100 hours of interviews with individuals potentially involved."

And in their article today, they are reporting that interviews have been conducted for several months, but not necessarily with anybody from within the program: Details of the NCAA inquiry emerged Saturday. It is focused on recruiting, and includes interaction with several players, not necessarily players who came to UConn. The NCAA has been conducting interviews for several months, though it is not clear whether current coaches or staffers have been interviewed yet.

I don't know, but if it's 100 hours of interviews with people from outside UConn, I'm not as concerned with this as I was before.

The more info that comes out, the less concerned I'm becoming

I'd be surprised if Ollie committed recruiting violations to begin with, it's not like we're the program landing multiple top 25 recruits every year. We never have been that program either.

I'm thinking maybe the worst thing we have to worry about is a booster from the dumpster fire crowd taking a few players out to Kahoots for a night and then telling the NCAA about it :)

pj

Reaction Score
If they're looking at Zach Brown's connection to Boo Willingham, then the issue must be use of UConn's former players to support recruiting. And there was some -- remember quotes from UConn alumni last May that it was an all hands on deck emergency and they were going to help Ollie, then Ray Allen and Emeka Okafor appearing in photos with players we were recruiting?

Reaction Score
If they're looking at Zach Brown's connection to Boo Willingham, then the issue must be use of UConn's former players to support recruiting. And there was some -- remember quotes from UConn alumni last May that it was an all hands on deck emergency and they were going to help Ollie, then Ray Allen and Emeka Okafor appearing in photos with players we were recruiting?

Pics such as this? (NOTE: this was from May 2017) I tried ciphering thru the NCAA rules on past/current players working out with recruits - anyone have specific knowledge of how these things are viewed in the NCAAeyes?

DAEQgrIW0AEFap2.jpg

Reaction Score
Not trying to attack you @J187Money I like your posts.

But, can you at least give us something about what he was talking about?

Like, are we talking about paying players or are we talking something minor compared to that?

(You can answer this by saying, based on your source, if we are in deep poo or DEEP poo and we can leave it up to interpretation from there)

The former.

pj

Reaction Score
Pics such as this? (NOTE: this was from May 2017) I tried ciphering thru the NCAA rules on past/current players working out with recruits - anyone have specific knowledge of how these things are viewed in the NCAAeyes?

Yes. An ex-player is considered a booster if he "assisted or has been requested by university staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.... or been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics." "Once an individual is identified as a “representative of the institution’s athletics interests,” the person retains that identity forever." "Only institutional staff members are permitted to recruit prospective student-athletes." Role of Boosters

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes. An ex-player is considered a booster if he "assisted or has been requested by university staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.... or been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics." "Once an individual is identified as a “representative of the institution’s athletics interests,” the person retains that identity forever." "Only institutional staff members are permitted to recruit prospective student-athletes." Role of Boosters

I get it, but it's a dumb rule. The university should be responsible for its hired employees and nobody else.

Reaction Score
Thanks for finding that site. Didn't even think to consider a past player as a "booster". Even tho this could be nothing at all what the NCAA is looking at...I do remember this past summer Patrick Ewing blatantly stating he was going to try and get Allen Iverson to help recruit Tremont Waters...yet no official inquiry into Georgetown that I'm aware of...

Reaction Score
Just sayin'

The AAC is a major baseball conference.

Baseball > Field Hockey

AAC is markedly better in pretty much every sport and basketball isn’t far off. Add in that the football conference is putting skins on the wall, and the NBE-Catholic Conf is an absurd alt

Reaction Score
I get it, but it's a dumb rule. The university should be responsible for its hired employees and nobody else.

As long as you're OK with boosters paying players. I don't find anything wrong with that personally, but I would stop watching college sports if that happened. But I don't see anything wrong ethically with it.

I see something wrong with it competitively, however. I stopped watching baseball largely because of the differences in team budgets.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom