Noticed a change in the Courant's reporting on investigation | The Boneyard

Noticed a change in the Courant's reporting on investigation

Reaction Score
I posted this in another thread but figured it was worthy of its own thread.

Back on Friday, when the NCAA investigation was just coming to light, the Courant put out their article that 100 hours of interviews had been conducted. Here was the original excerpt from their article that I copied and pasted:
UConn Confirms Investigation Of Men's Basketball Team Following Allegations
Sources told The Courant the NCAA has already conducted roughly 100 hours of interviews with coaches, players and staffers, past and present, and other outside individuals. Those interviews have picked up in pace over the last week or so, and the inquiry includes the recruitment of at least three players, though not necessarily players who eventually came to UConn. The NCAA, which has not responded to a request for comment, compels interviewees not to comment.

So the initial report was that the NCAA had conducted 100 hours of interviews with both current and former people from within the program. The article from Friday has been updated and that excerpt now reads "Sources told The Courant the NCAA has already conducted roughly 100 hours of interviews with individuals potentially involved."

And in their article today, they are reporting that interviews have been conducted for several months, but not necessarily with anybody from within the program: Details of the NCAA inquiry emerged Saturday. It is focused on recruiting, and includes interaction with several players, not necessarily players who came to UConn. The NCAA has been conducting interviews for several months, though it is not clear whether current coaches or staffers have been interviewed yet.

I don't know, but if it's 100 hours of interviews with people from outside UConn, I'm not as concerned with this as I was before.

Reaction Score
Check nuance in this one:

>>No current coaches have been interviewed, we’ve learned.<<

My emphasis added.

Thanks.

So past coaches/staffers that could have already been interviewed: Glen Miller, Karl Hobbs, George Blaney, David Sevush and Danny Griffin

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If true, then it's possible that the NCAA has spent several months getting only one side of a story. It would seem logical that it could take them a minimum of several more months to get the other side of the story, assuming they are so inclined. That will be unfortunate if it puts the university administration in the position of having to wait that long to decide Ollie's ultimate fate.

Reaction Score
If what I’ve heard is true this is real and we are in trouble.

Granted it’s third hand but from people that are not anti-UCONN.

Care to elaborate?

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score

I'm not saying you are wrong (I would love to hear what you say but understand if you cant divulge), but this goes against the narrative that Ollie was not willing to cheat and the fact that we haven't been landing many recruits worth cheating for.

It's hard for me to fathom that this is anything other than a recent trend that came about because of our struggles.

What I need to know is if this is whole thing is about trying to buy recruits (I support paying players so I am not going to be that upset if this was the case) or is this about something most people would consider morally reprehensible?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

I wont ask for the details, others already have!

This is just Basketball and should not impede our future growth of our Flag Ship programs - Football and Field Hockey?

Reaction Score

It's going to be so embarrassing if it's anything post-2014. We've been so bad that I'm not sure how it was worth cheating

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
How is the NCAA not looking into if other coaches were recruiting last three transfers and MAL during the season(s)? Ollie even mentioned it back in the spring

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
How is the NCAA not looking into if other coaches were recruiting last three transfers and MAL during the season(s)? Ollie even mentioned it back in the spring
Agreed. Especially with MAL. However, Notre Dame is on the NCAA’s do not touch list; Louisville has way bigger problems than Steve Enoch; I doubt the NCAA even cares or knows that Vance left for Blue Meth State.

Reaction Score
Something is crazy and off about this.

UConn may very well be dead to rights. BUT...the whole story about several months of interviews?

You would think the President of the university would have been apprised of this happening. Instead we have Susan just 3 months ago stating that the UConn program is clean and she knows it inside and out--and she put the onus on the AD!

Is 3 several? 3 is a couple. Not several.

Reaction Score
Something is crazy and off about this.

UConn may very well be dead to rights. BUT...the whole story about several months of interviews?

You would think the President of the university would have been apprised of this happening. Instead we have Susan just 3 months ago stating that the UConn program is clean and she knows it inside and out--and she put the onus on the AD!

Is 3 several? 3 is a couple. Not several.
I agree 100%. Hard to make much sense of this inquiry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom