Not to rain on the parade, but | The Boneyard

Not to rain on the parade, but

Reaction Score
Do we know for sure that KO and the AAUP are not going to try to throw a monkey wrench into this process? The union has said that they consider Ollie to still be the coach, suspended with pay. Have we ruled out the possibility that they move to block the Hurley hire? Has the University ruled it out?

Reaction Score
Ollie and the union will want to know how this "co-coach" thing is going to work......

Reaction Score
The AAUP could hold up any buy out settlement. They can't dictate who gets key privileges to Gampel.

In just about any other context, the AAUP could and would prevent someone from being hired to replace a union member that they still considered to be employed.

Reaction Score
Hiring Hurley makes it harder to win a case for just cause dismissal. The University is well aware of that.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Hiring Hurley makes it harder to win a case for just cause dismissal. The University is well aware of that.

even if they're tying it around ncaa violations?

Reaction Score
The AAUP cannot force or prevent anything. The only avenues Ollie and the union have are to continue appealing to a higher authority. No, they could not prevent UConn from hiring anyone. The only thing they can do is to delay the official firing of an existing union employee until they exhaust all their appeals or give up.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Are we sure Hurley doesn't become a Union member as well.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
even if they're tying it around ncaa violations?
By Hurley accepting the position I highly doubt there are any earth shaking NCAA violations
KO is going to walk away with money - no doubt in my mind about it
Doing it this way was DB's roll of the dice that he could MAYBE save some money rather than just fire him for performance and choke on the full $10Mill
I sure the hell hope he/UConn has learned a lesson and didn't do the same with DH's contract but if not perhaps DH would not have signed- I don't know

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
By Hurley accepting the position I highly doubt there are any earth shaking NCAA violations
KO is going to walk away with money - no doubt in my mind about it
Doing it this way was DB's roll of the dice that he could MAYBE save some money rather than just fire him for performance and choke on the full $10Mill
I sure the hell hope he/UConn has learned a lesson and didn't do the same with DH's contract but if not perhaps DH would not have signed- I don't know

yeah, that's the only thing I could come up with.

But looking at the contract language, the University has a great position to stand on here.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
In just about any other context, the AAUP could and would prevent someone from being hired to replace a union member that they still considered to be employed.

I had the same thought here, but i would (completely guess) that a donor has stepped up on the buyout front. The minute KO agrees to a number, the AAUP ceases to be an issue. They likely had something on a napkin, which just got met.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We need this settlement to happen soon.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How so?

Reaction Score
So then why would the Union try to screw a fellow member? This OP doesn't make sense.

They have to protect and fight for their original member first. There are guidelines and standard operating procedure they aren't going to disregard that because Hurley was announced as new head coach

Reaction Score
So then why would the Union try to screw a fellow member? This OP doesn't make sense.
It's a process!.jpg

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
We need this settlement to happen soon.

1) They don't fire KO without a replacement available
2) They don't announce replacement without KO "settled"

They know what they're doing here - i think this goes away soon - the hiring of DH was the biggest shoe to drop, by far.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why?
It's a distraction, unfinished business. I don't think we can truly move on until as a program until it's done. I have no involvement yet it's gnawing at me.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Take this how you want to. One time I was at the Portland Valero and ran into KO. Me and him were the only people inside of the store. KO bought a pack of mint mentos. The clerk cashed him out and threw away the receipt. ( I was standing right behind him.) Ollie asked if he could have a new receipt printed out. Idk what this means but if this man keeps tabs on his candy expenditures. He's not going down without a fight. Saddle up. This could get ugly.

Reaction Score
I’m gonna say KO gets a buy out of between $5-$6.5 million and walks Directly to a NBA job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom