Not To Jinx Us But | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Not To Jinx Us But

Reaction Score
For those of you like Charlie who really know this stuff: Who are we going to get (Other than Charli) during the signing period?

Is it really down to Nelson-Ododa, Williams and Scott-Grayson?

17-18 Recruiting thread is broader than this little itty bity question of little consequence. :rolleyes:
JINX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Where we differ, Coco. You say they prioritize academics, and I say they prioritize academic reputation. To me, there's a world of difference. You prioritize academics only in how much time you actually devote to your studies. Why can't you devote the same number of hours to your studies at UConn as at Stanford? I just don't get it. We all (and I'm #1 at this) fall for reputation. But it's all smoke and mirrors, and what remains is a kid sitting in a classroom and taking notes and then going back and studying what she's learned. Can do that just as well in Storrs as in Palo Alto....

It kinda depends. I'm an ancient Uconn alum. It wasn't my first choice, but financially it was the only choice. I encountered a ton of really gifted students and profs. When my 3 sons were picking colleges, they all had great everything, grades, scores, talents. They all applied to UConn as a fall back. I told each of them that don't go thinking UConn is a place for dullards. You'll find plenty of kids who would manage the "elite" schools quite well and many excellent instructors. I told them you get out of any school what you put into it. Maybe the % of "serious students" is a bit higher at elites, but as to teaching, you're as likely to get good educators at UConn as at an elite. Often what distinguishes faculty at elites is more renown in their field than it does teaching quality.

Well, none went to UConn. The objective reality is that only one of them could have had the same major at UConn that they did at the schools they chose. The unknowable about him is whether or not he could've gotten into the same law schools he did with similar grades at UConn. There is a reslity that undergrads school reputation can matter if a student plans to go on to more degrees. It can matter in certain job markets. But as to pure quality of education, UConn students aren't shortchanged. In fact in the crazy expense of attending elites, any difference in academics is diminished. Of course full ride athletes dont have the same affordability issues.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, if you have great talent, if basketball has become your life, if you want to play pro ball, if your aren't afraid to work your off to improve your game and actually be coached, if you want a degree, and if you value team wins/championships over individual stats - UConn is the only choice. Not many girls in that category.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom