Not so subtle Geno dig... | The Boneyard

Not so subtle Geno dig...

Reaction Score
Auriemma: Impatient fans await next Vols coach

"I get asked all the time who would the next coach at Connecticut be," Auriemma said. "I said, 'I really would have no opinion on that.' Because maybe a bunch of my assistants would want that job, or former assistants. I think it's hard for a person in our situation to say, 'Well, I'm going to hand-pick the next coach.' I think anybody who's tried to do that has really not done a good job of it."

Reaction Score
Calhoun messed up. Maybe the poorest decision he ever made as a coach.

Geno learned from it, and maybe no-so-subtly pointed it out during a presser.

Really doesn't seem to be much to see here. He's saying the truth. Calhoun isn't his brother or something. I'd do the same thing--probably wouldn't have been as nice about it either

Reaction Score
Wow, that was not so subtle indeed. Ouch!

Perhaps a hint at where he stands on the whole situation, maybe not.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Really doesn't seem to be much to see here. He's saying the truth. Calhoun isn't his brother or something. I'd do the same thing--probably wouldn't have been as nice about it either

Calhoun hand picked a guy that won a national title. Not too shabby.

How would he, or anyone known, that KO would have fallen apart after that.

Reaction Score
I don't think Calhoun could have possibly imagined that Ollie would have abandoned the singular trait that had defined the entirety of his career prior to being named head coach.

Thank you CHB and Crack. Geno is usually smarter than this so let's assume he is fully throwing this quote at Holly of Tenn. Otherwise he needs to remember how much in favor he was of KO too because of the person and the history to that man. Who he turned out to be isn't what anyone would've thought including Geno I am sure.

Reaction Score
If I was a HOF coach I wouldn't want anything to do with picking my successor. Because if it goes to crap, people are going to remember.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
In the context of his full quote, it's not a dig at JC.

Just a reminder that he was quite friendly with KO. I doubt he'd specifically trash him to make an off hand dig of JC.

He's not wrong either.

Reaction Score
I don't think Calhoun could have possibly imagined that Ollie would have abandoned the singular trait that had defined the entirety of his career prior to being named head coach.

This... KOs first two years were phenomenal and after a somewhat acceptable let-down season, we were a top 20 team w/ two very good recruits coming in (Enoch, Jalen) and a big-time recruiting class coming in. Then it all fell apart. Up until that point, KO was one of the hottest coaching names around. Remember the legit fear he'd be plucked by the Lakers?

Reaction Score
If I was a HOF coach I wouldn't want anything to do with picking my successor. Because if it goes to crap, people are going to remember.

JC had too much ego to leave well enough alone in terms of his legacy.

Reaction Score
Ollie exceeded expecations in 2013 and 2014. Good coaches win with good players. If he was that bad of a coach, we probably dont win in 2014. I know we had Shabazz, but its not like that 2014 team had the talent of 2004.

The same questions will come up when Geno finally decides to retire for obvious reasons with the most important one being will they hire somebody within the UConn family, or go outside? Right now, the favorite is Jen Rizzotti in my opinion.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Did he really though? KO got us a natty the first year he was eligible to go. I'm not sure anyone, maybe not even Jim gets it done. So his assessment as KO's ability to get it done was reasonable. There was no way for anyone to realize the epic shut down he would have after his divorce.

Reaction Score

Yeah. This would be about the only coaches quarrel where both are the favorites with the fan base and no holds would be barred. And it wouldn’t hurt the schools image and probably increase our following. Celebrity death match!!!!

Reaction Score
Ollie exceeded expecations in 2013 and 2014. Good coaches win with good players. If he was that bad of a coach, we probably dont win in 2014. I know we had Shabazz, but its not like that 2014 team had the talent of 2004.

The same questions will come up when Geno finally decides to retire for obvious reasons with the most important one being will they hire somebody within the UConn family, or go outside? Right now, the favorite is Jen Rizzotti in my opinion.

In addition to forcing a hand-picked successor, the idea of having to "keep it in the family" almost never works out. Both JC and Geno's coaching trees have been, by and large, awful in their own head coaching jobs. I hope the women's program looks to grab someone with a more impressive resume than Jen Rizzotti or any of Geno's assistants.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom