Not Impressed | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Not Impressed

Reaction Score
Playing a zone to neutralize our size. Not enough 3s to open it up .

Rusty defense weak help and switching.

Sanogo is a treat. Awareness. Great hands. Quick feet.
Andre lost right now. Needs to get used to college speed he will be ok.
Cole is good. Nice to see him with Gaffney. Nice high low guard passing.
The rest of the guys are fine.

We will be ok. Need more practice and to get in game shape

Reaction Score
Hey guys,

The Huskies come out with lotsa energy. CCSU is very hot in first half.

Since we discussed him the other day? Where's Tyler Polley?

Early in the second half, he just hit an uncontested three. But he also needed about 15' of space & time to get it lined up. His feet are rarely lined up before a shot, or they are still moving when he's shooting. Bad fundamentals.

Polley disappeared for most of the first half. We saw him on the floor once in the first half. After he'd lost his dribble on a cross-over.

We also saw Tyler lose CCSU's big's three times on the break, running back for D with his back to the action. They scored all three times in the paint. Fundamentals. Polley simply does not play like a starting senior with promise. Even on the floor-length steal & dribble bucket in the second half, he had to look down at the ball the entire trip down the court. Like a little kid.

There's plenty to be cautiously pleased with in terms of Husky individual & team performances. Team play is rusty & takes awhile to get used to new guys. And the energy & depth are there. Fitness level, Defensive energy & Pressure are very good for this time of year. Effort is consistent.

But I'm still not sure about Hurley's offense. In the first half, guys got in the way of each other far too often - & have for three years now. Talent like Jackson's & Bouk's needs some space to move & create, Hurley! Clear-outs or calling plays or screens for the hot shooter? Not part of Hurley's concept. They should be!

They didn't need them in the second half today, but UConn still REALLY needs reliable outside shooters. They won't always enjoy this kind of size & talent gap in the Big East. I think they play like the pre-season rankings said they would. They're not yet a national power but a very good team with a huge amount of depth & untapped talent.

I like Coles. Really liked Jackson's unique skill set & effort. Still amazed at Bouk's rangey athleticism & energy (outside shooting still needs consistency). Big Man Sanogo is the revelation. He's a walking bucket in the paint. Just gotta get him the ball in rhythm! Whaley's gotta step up more on helping defense & provide some points.

And raw Javonte Brown's emphatic dunk at the end is something that Josh could never give us in the paint. That bodes very well as he develops - that fire. Lots of talent & depth for Hurley to work with. Should be an interesting year to see what he can do with it.

Fatha

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not that this thread needs any more comments, but 21 points from three out of a total of 48 points is pretty standard. So I don’t agree they’re taking too many threes. I think the offense looks pretty good.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
This team desperately needs Akok down low. Everyone’s rusty.

Reaction Score
Bouknight not meeting expectations from 3, but everything else seems like what we should expect IMO. Need to defend better.

Reaction Score
Stop pressing/gambling and we’re good. We’re over helping on D and we’re paying for it. Just need to play solid.

Reaction Score
Cole needs to pass the ball with some zip and purpose. He can't throw weak lobs all the time.

Gaffney has been solid.

Jackson needs to be less tentative.

Polley looks really good for having torn his ACL less than a year ago.

I miss Akok. I think he and Whaley on the floor together are a great combo. I love that Sanogo moves around too, especially for his size.

Reaction Score
I know it's early but not impressed. All we do is shoot 3's. No real offense. Defense is so so. Prove me wrong

Really disappointed with this comment. Especially the “prove me wrong.”

A reasonable comment would be saying you are concerned about the offense.

Reaction Score
For some perspective ...

UConn is now 15-0 vs. CCSU

Central's 75 points scored is the second highest in series history and the 27 point difference is the closest game since:

1/24/1990 - CCSU 77, #20 UConn 99; Final game at Field House

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
I’m not impressed with Villanova so far. Boston College has it tied up with them at the half.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Whining in mid season form. The team will catch up to the BY in a few weeks. Geez, one game that they won easily using a lot of players and a transfer most expect to start and play a lot not available. Yep, the game is back. Happy isolated Thanksgiving.

Reaction Score
I know it's early but not impressed. All we do is shoot 3's. No real offense. Defense is so so. Prove me wrong
20 minutes of basketball in a season with atleast another 1200 minutes. Relax bro.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom