Not HCPP's fault.... I can't wait to see his recruits | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Not HCPP's fault.... I can't wait to see his recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stop the sugar coating. HCPP was a poor hire. The UConn offense is so poor that there are high school seniors who could replace them. UConn fans deserve better than what they are seeing right now. How many fans in the stands could make the catches that the WRs can't. Take the boxing gloves off, please.

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
Were we distracted by any newly released video games? It does happen.
They did sell 25 million copies, maybe some made it to UCONN. just sayin !

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I agree the players were put in positions to succeed by DeLeone, but there's more to coaching than just drawing the Xs and Os.

I think the people who are holding out hope that PP is a much better recruiter than RE are in for a rude awakening. I hope Casey Cochran is Steve Young, but I'm not counting on it. My head tells me that Nebrich was as or more successful than Cochran playing at a much better level of HS football.

As far as recruiting goes, we all know we have to wait 2-4 years from now to see how the class pans out. As most of frustratingly realize, football isn't like basketball where top recruits turn teams around from day one.

That being said, the recruiting coordinator (SOS) and many of the position coaches are the same as when RE was here. The facilities are the same, the conference affiliation is more uncertain and yet we are getting, on paper, better recruits. Meaning? Meaning all things equal, PP, GD and DB are doing a better job of securing commitments from higher visibility recruits.

Reaction Score
Remember 2006? Last game of the season in Louisville, Petrino blew our doors off and then mercifully called off the dogs and let Terry Caulley get his last hurrah. We thought the talent gap was quite large after that game.

Next season we beat them at home. The team was playing better.

You're never as bad as you think you are and you're never as good as you think you are. The team just played like garbage. If the team isn't prepared then it's on the coaches. It's on the players too, but this is more of a coaching issue.

Reaction Score
I feel like puking. On the bright side (or so I think), we've taken Yale's spot as the best football program in the state... (Or maybe New England...)

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
can't wait for PP to bring in players that can play a pro-style offense

I'll just say I'm a tad bit pessimistic

Reaction Score
How can you say it's not the fault of the coaching staff with missed tackles all over the place and dropped passes galore? Teach these kids how to tackle and teach them how to catch a ball. These coaches are not doing that.
I'm pretty sure these guys should have the fundamentals to tackle and catch once they are in a BCS program.

Reaction Score
These calls to replace PP are as idiotic as I have seen on this board. The job of any coach or manager or teacher is to put people in position to succeed. - BUT YOU CAN"T SUCCEED FOR THEM. This was by far the BEST coached game I have seen by a UCONN team in awhile. Our passing attack and balance are the best that I have seen.

Look forward to the future with this group of coaches.

Reaction Score
I think the pro-PP and anti-PP hire folks on this board should agree not to characterize the other side as 'idiotic'. There's a lot of folks on the latter side, like me, who thought this was a poor hire when it was first announced and are now seeing their worst fears realized. This program has taken a step back this year, the next two games will define how far. (BTW admire the man, but he wasn't the right guy for this job).
I hope the juniors, sophs, freshmen and recruits are looking forward to the future. I'd be very interested to hear the seniors' take on PP after this over.
Not expecting the trigger to get pulled this year, but think PP will be on a very short leash next year. If downward slide continues, can't imagine Herbst giving him a third year.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
and if they don't execute, why don't change a thing. Solid approach

I'm sorry, the lack of execution is all about preparation, mental and physical and planning

all of a sudden these kids can't execute basic plays, and that Randy's fault for recruiting chumps

whatever

Reaction Score
Casey Cochran - QB 2012 - National Rank 67 for position
Michael Nebrich - QB 2011 - National Rank 72 for position
Scott McCummings - QB 2010 - National Rank 76 for position

Neally Cunningham - WR 2012 - National Rank 230 for position
Kamal Abrams - WR 2011 - National Rank 142 for position
Tebucky Jones - WR 2010 - National Rank 121 for position

Really? Probably see them on the bench is my guess. There is NOT that much of a talent difference between the QB's by the scouting experts, and they cant beat out the walkon, who ducks when pressured, literally ducks.

Reaction Score
This Pro/Conn coach PP is missing one important element and that is depth of the team. Unlike BB, consistently winning football requires a steady flow of 15-18 players per year with talent at the upper end of the level than we have been able to get historically. I for one have doubts that PP will have the drive to get that done.

Reaction Score
I just completely disagree. Players have to play with passion and heart. That isn't something you coach. It comes from within. There were many moments today where the players didn't play with everything they had.

WOW this is bad, I wanted to use dumb but do not want to insult a Huskie fan. You are obviously young and never played organized sports. Do you really believe Jim and Geno have won all they have because they were not the ones to demand and draw the passion and heart needed to win?
George has time and again commented on how Jim has the ability when down to will the players to reach down deep. Of course this is probably done with explictives but Geno does the same thing with sarcasim. You are way off base here.

Reaction Score
You are just nuts - the coaches put these guys in a position to make plays and they did not do it. To blame the coaches is just crazy talk. They are not coaching 10 year olds just learning the game.
LOL! Obviously Banddad you never played college football, but keep blowing that trumpet, someones bound to hear you.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure these guys should have the fundamentals to tackle and catch once they are in a BCS program.
Oh sure that's right, and they don't improve on those fundamentals at all for the next 3 years once they have them. They are pros, and should be starting for the Packers, they are automatic with those inate fundamentals of yours. The coaches are just there to tell them what plays to run. If they tackle like my grandmother and drop more passes than a kangaroo then take away their schollies, but god don't fault the coaches.

Reaction Score
Lets get real here. You're saying that WIDE OPEN WR'S not catching the ball is a coaches fault? Seriously? This is from a player who is a Red Shirt Senior .... think about that. He has been playing for 5 years and gets a wide open pass more than once and completely blows it. Are you telling me this is HCPP's fault because the WR's don't like him? Perhaps these WR's always had trouble catching balls ... so I guess they hate both FHCRE and HCPP right? I seem to recall that McCummings missed a wide open pass ... this isn't about the coaches ... its about the players talent. What coach needs to be here for our QB's and WR's to all of a sudden be effective when they have under performed the last few years. Please tell me because I would like to know.
OK here you go....

vince-lombardi.84094124.jpg

This man did just that, he took a ragtag bunch in the late 1950's and made them into champions in just a couple years. He motivated and he taught the game. There's a trophy named after him BTW.

"WHAT THE HELL'S GOIN ON OUT HERE !!!!"

Reaction Score
A bad game doesn't mean that the coach should go but some concerns for me,
Kickoff team to start the game, has no one on it ready to tackle or in Edwards speak having the "want to" in a game that had huge postseason implications as well as the possibility of meeting the goal of every season, winning the league championship. This screwup set the tone for the day and we never recovered.
McCummings had to have practiced that throw in practice and he wasn't ready to pull it off in a game situation. This means the practice reps aren't matching the game intensity and in crunch time it hurt the team badly. He rushed it and missed badly.
At the end of the game the right move to have a chance to win was to get as much as you can off the first down pass play, call timeout and throw the ball in the endzone which would have been about a 55 yard throw for the QB. I couldn't believe that the coach's would think the multi-lateral play with a QB on the field who can't run was the better choice. Troops lose faith in leaders who draw up missions with no chance of success.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't remember not seeing Randy's team play with everything they had.

When you "buy" what the coaches are selling you play disciplined and focused football.

Last years run by this team was proof of that. I really think PP dumped too much too fast on these guys and he doesn't have enough guys made for his system, on offense and defense.
Case in point..and many may think this is a silly point but whatever. End of the 3rd quarter..Sandstorm is raging over the PA, Louisville players are together, jumping around and getting amped. Our sideline, spread out, heads down, zero energy. Zero. Now I know that jumping around to Sandstorm is not a sign of a team's focus, but it was a sign of a general malaise IMO
That was at the end of the 3rd when the momentum changed. I'm not observing much rah rah here in this thread. Losing does that to you.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't remember not seeing Randy's team play with everything they had.

When you "buy" what the coaches are selling you play disciplined and focused football.

Last years run by this team was proof of that. I really think PP dumped too much too fast on these guys and he doesn't have enough guys made for his system, on offense and defense.
I guess he lost his touch this season.

Reaction Score
HCPP is just not going to cut it. The team out there yesterday was unispired, lacked focus and are not a team. Dropped passes are about focus, plain and simple. Another poster hit it on the nose. LVill Players getting jacked up jumping around to Sandstorm AS A TEAM. Our guys...walking around heads down. I just dont see any team chemistry or personality. This is a direct reflection on a total lack of leadership. It is the coach that hones a bunch of guys into a team and beleiving. HCPP is at best a technocrat type coach. Look at Notre Dame. They enjoy the best recruits in the Nation, but were horrible under Wllingham and Weiss and still trying to recover. Boise State, rouse to prominence living on a dream with great leadership, inspiration and discipline. They execute, execute, execute. I dont buy the recruit execuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom