Not Fouling at the End of Temple | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Not Fouling at the End of Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fair point as far as the assistants go. IIRC, the reason this all started with all of the asst coaches being from the UConn family was after the Nate Miles violations. I just got the feeling that from that point forward, JC wanted all of his own guys that he can trust as assistant coaches. But, as far as Ollie goes, I would love to see him bring Howie back on board in a George Blaney type role after he hangs it up at CCSU. Yes, Howie is a UConn guy, but I think he knows a lot about the game and I really believe he would be an asset to the team and staff when it comes to in game situations.
I think you are on to something here. No way Howie lets that happen at game end. Maybe he's had enough at Central and let's face it, he and KO are bromantics.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
When are we going to receive an explanation for what happened (didn't happen) on that last play?

I don't know if that's going to happen. Unless KO addresses it on his radio show.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
from Dom Amore's column this morning:
"The Huskies had a foul to give and didn't use it, probably because Ollie trusted the defense after two shot-clock violations and didn't want to risk a foul in the act of shooting."

Probably, which means no one bothered to ask. Shameful

The next time I trust Amore's pure basketball analysis will be the first.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
But Calhoun had a mix of non-UConn guys as assistants. In fact, none were UConn. Not Tom Moore, not George Blaney, not Andre LaFleur, not Dave Leitao, not Clyde Vaughn, not Patrick Sellers--tho Sellers obviously had a UConn connection.

Yeah, but some were former players for JC: LaFleur, Leitao, Hobbs, and Sellers obviously had the Rod Sellers connection. Glenn Miller had started out his career from nothing with UCONN in 1986. That's all 'in the family' stuff.

While I wouldn't mind having Clyde Vaughn back, his influence is so overstated. He was with the program for two years! And we just dumb lucked ourselves into Emeka Okafor at that time.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but some were former players for JC: LaFleur, Leitao, Hobbs, and Sellers obviously had the Rod Sellers connection. Glenn Miller had started out his career from nothing with UCONN in 1986. That's all 'in the family' stuff.

While I wouldn't mind having Clyde Vaughn back, his influence is so overstated. He was with the program for two years! And we just dumb lucked ourselves into Emeka Okafor at that time.

Mostly right, but I think Hobbs was much earlier. Hobbs was on Corny Thompson's team, well before the Calhoun era. Back when the BE was stacked. That Hobbs/Thompson team would win the ACC this year--but not the B12.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Mostly right, but I think Hobbs was much earlier. Hobbs was on Corny Thompson's team, well before the Calhoun era. Back when the BE was stacked. That Hobbs/Thompson team would win the ACC this year--but not the B12.

Thanks for the correction. Did that off the top of my head.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
But, as far as Ollie goes, I would love to see him bring Howie back on board in a George Blaney type role after he hangs it up at CCSU. Yes, Howie is a UConn guy, but I think he knows a lot about the game and I really believe he would be an asset to the team and staff when it comes to in game situations.
I think you are on to something here. No way Howie lets that happen at game end. Maybe he's had enough at Central and let's face it, he and KO are bromantics.

Pass on Howie. I think he's done at this point; seems like he's been coasting the last few years. Would love to see them go get one of those crack recruiting closers. Doesn't mean those guys can't coach either.

Reaction Score
No they wouldn't. Perno would still be coaching.

Well, yeah, but they held their own and beat teams that would annihilate the ACC, Georgetown with Ewing, St. John's with Mullin, Seton Hall with Callandrilo, Pinone and Nova, the Rautins Syracuse team (don't think Pearl Washington was there yet).

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
We lost twice on inbounds plays last year in the last three seconds. It's possible they just trusted their live ball defense more than letting Temple run an organized out of bounds play where we get caught on a screen again. That may not be a satisfactory explantation, but I can at least understand the thought process.

Except hadn't Dunphy called a timeout to set up the very play that beat us?

I can't understand the thought process, sorry. No way, no how. This isn't 20/20 hindsight. This is everyone in the world screaming at Gibbs to foul, except for the people being paid to tell him that. Really inexcusable.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Was KO asked about it on the WTIC Coaches show tonight? I missed it.

Reaction Score
nomar said:
Except hadn't Dunphy called a timeout to set up the very play that beat us? I can't understand the thought process, sorry. No way, no how. This isn't 20/20 hindsight. This is everyone in the world screaming at Gibbs to foul, except for the people being paid to tell him that. Really inexcusable.

I think it's the better move to foul but when you have shown a definite problem with guarding out of bounds plays and you've played good D down the stretch, I think there's an argument to be had to trust your live ball D and not choose to defend the type of catch and shoot inbounds play that has burned us. We're Brimahless too - making us more vulnerable to some sort of backdoor lob from out of bounds that every team has up their sleeve. I don't think it's unreasonable, if maybe misguided, to decide not foul to avoid putting yourself in that position again.

It also wasn't the designed play that beat us - they tried to run something for DeCosey and ended up just going one on one.

Not fouling against Syracuse bugged me as a strategic miscalculation. This one I don't necessarily agree with, but I can live with it based on what's happened to us in the past. Of course, now that we've lost this way too, there's less reason to go against the book next time.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Pass on Howie. I think he's done at this point; seems like he's been coasting the last few years. Would love to see them go get one of those crack recruiting closers. Doesn't mean those guys can't coach either.
What difference does coaching make? Has it looked like Hobbsy, RM or KF are doing any coaching? - I didn't bring up Miller because I would miss his socks.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well, yeah, but they held their own and beat teams that would the ACC, Georgetown with Ewing, St. John's with Mullin, Seton Hall with Callandrilo, Pinone and Nova, the Rautins Syracuse team (don't think Pearl Washington was there yet).

That team lost 7 out of their last 8 games. With Dom at the helm, they aren't annihilating anyone.

Reaction Score
That team lost 7 out of their last 8 games. With Dom at the helm, they aren't annihilating anyone.

Well, that was the 82 team. The 81 team went 20-9, they played Ewing during his freshman year in 1981.

The last 8 games of the regular season went like this:

19 Wed, Feb 4, 1981 REG @ Providence Big East W 79 70 16 3 W 2 Dunkin' Donuts Center
20 Sat, Feb 7, 1981 REG Boston College Big East L 71 76 16 4 L 1 XL Center
21 Wed, Feb 11, 1981 REG @ St. John's (NY) Big East L 65 72 16 5 L 2 Madison Square Garden (IV)
22 Sat, Feb 14, 1981 REG @ Syracuse Big East W 65 63 17 5 W 1 Carrier Dome
23 Tue, Feb 17, 1981 REG @ Seton Hall Big East W 77 70 18 5 W 2 Walsh Gymnasium
24 Sat, Feb 21, 1981 REG Providence Big East W 71 57 19 5 W 3 XL Center
25 Mon, Feb 23, 1981 REG Villanova Big East L 73 74 19 6 L 1 XL Center
26 Sat, Feb 28, 1981 REG @ Georgetown Big East L 58 60 19 7 L 2 McDonough Gymnasium

4-4 record.

They beat Syracuse, Georgetown and St. John's earlier in the season.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Was KO asked about it on the WTIC Coaches show tonight? I missed it.

He said they talked about fouling in the huddle. He said he felt his instructions were too open to interpretation. He wanted them to let the dribbler put in on the floor, then foul. Next time he'll have them foul as soon as it's inbounded. They talked about being guarding against fouling in the act, but IIRC that was Joe D leading. I hate when he does it. Joe D. gives his opinion 3 hours a day and during games, I would rather hear what the coach thinks. He did again later when he brought up not calling time after the Temple hoop. "I'll give you my take..." I got the impression KO wanted a timeout, though he didn't come out and say it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well, that was the 82 team. The 81 team went 20-9, they played Ewing during his freshman year in 1981....
The last 8 games that team played were in 1982, cherry-picker. And UConn never played Ewing in 1981

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Yeah, I don't remember us "holding our own or beating" those teams.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't remember us "holding our own or beating" those teams.

Though we should have. Especially in 1981, the league was ripe for picking and we spit the bit. Instead BCU wins with a bunch of Connecticut players.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Yeah, I thought Corny & Mike would do more for us. We just stopped getting better.

Reaction Score
He said they talked about fouling in the huddle. He said he felt his instructions were too open to interpretation. He wanted them to let the dribbler put in on the floor, then foul. Next time he'll have them foul as soon as it's inbounded. They talked about being guarding against fouling in the act, but IIRC that was Joe D leading. I hate when he does it. Joe D. gives his opinion 3 hours a day and during games, I would rather hear what the coach thinks. He did again later when he brought up not calling time after the Temple hoop. "I'll give you my take..." I got the impression KO wanted a timeout, though he didn't come out and say it.

Thanks. So...basically he told them the right thing to do?

Reaction Score
The last 8 games that team played were in 1982, cherry-picker. And UConn never played Ewing in 1981

Huh, I thought Ewing was on the 1981 team. Anyway, I didn't name a year. I was talking about that team in general, it was the same exact team, 7 deep, and they had some success their first 2 years in the BE before they began the downtrend. Corny Thompson, Aleksinas, Mike McKay, Norman Bailey, Giscombe, Hobbs, etc.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I thought Corny & Mike would do more for us. We just stopped getting better.

No guards, how much can good big guys do without competitive guards? I mean Bobby Dulin was ok at best and he was their PG with help from Clay Johnson and Disco Sullivan. Hobbsie and Vern were gone when Corny, Mike and Chuck were all seniors, they would have helped for sure. Great FT shooting team, #1 in the country if I remember correctly like a crazy 80% as a team? I've always said give them Earl Kelley and they would have been tremendous.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hobbsie and Vern were gone when Corny, Mike and Chuck were all seniors, they would have helped for sure. ... I've always said give them Earl Kelley and they would have been tremendous.

Actually, Hobbs and Giscombe were sophomores when Corny was a senior. Perno didn't play Vern enough. Then again, Dom's last recruiting class was probably his second best, and he didn't play those guys (Cliff and Phil) either.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Huh, I thought Ewing was on the 1981 team. Anyway, I didn't name a year.

You wrote, "The 81 team went 20-9, they played Ewing during his freshman year in 1981." How you can say you didn't name a year, well that's just a gift. And the way you move goalposts, effortless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom