Not even mad | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Not even mad

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Fair enough. I’m more encouraged by Cobb than I am discouraged by Carlton. Look at the difference in Cobb between last year and this year. Not saying Carlton “will” have a similar trajectory. But I’m not going to write him off. The skills are there. Just needs to adjust to this level. He’s getting better coaching, and we’ll need him to keep his confidence up and keep working hard.
Sophomore Carlton is more or less as expected. Senior Cobb is a freaking miracle. So good to have a post presence again.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We also have to live through Gilbert's mistakes through the non-conference. Coach is right. He has to knock off the rust. Kid hasn't played in 2 plus years. He will be a much better player in January than he is now.
Lots of terrible turnovers

Reaction Score
We learned about Cobb which is huge but you guys aren't worried about what we learned about Carlton?
Or what we ignored to know?? He’s a 3 Star role player that will have flashes of good stuff at this level. Josh is just josh. Too gentle as I would not call him soft.

Reaction Score

All you need to do is look at UConn's 2004 season. In 2004 we started out 3-0 and lost to Georgia Tech by 16 in the Garden. We beat Georgia Tech pretty handily in the National Championship game. I think every team improves as the year goes on. Some teams just improve vastly more. I'm not saying we're winning a Championship this year but, maybe we can atone for this loss by beating Iowa in the tourney. Just like we did to Georgia Tech in 2004.

Reaction Score
All you need to do is look at UConn's 2004 season. In 2004 we started out 3-0 and lost to Georgia Tech by 16 in the Garden. We beat Georgia Tech pretty handily in the National Championship game. I think every team improves as the year goes on. Some teams just improve vastly more. I'm not saying we're winning a Championship this year but, maybe we can atone for this loss by beating Iowa in the tourney. Just like we did to Georgia Tech in 2004.
2004 everyone knew we were the best team in the country before the season started. I was at that Georgia Tech game at the Garden and my friends and I all couldn't believe what happened but we still said we were winning it all right after the game. Tonights game is similar in us being completely flat and a game you burn the tape on but all similarities end there. I like this team and if they play hard, stick together, and grow it can be a rewarding season but we all know Jalen and Alterique are the only players who would get burn on that 2004 squad.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I think we learned he had a couple of bad games. I think it’s too early to put Cobb down for all conference and too early to put Carlton down as a lost cause. He’s only a sophomore.
I agree with Superjohn on this one. I haven't seen anybody fill out a ballot for All Conference. But he has a point. You have to think. What is going on. Cobb looks much better at this point, and that is coming off the bench. Not putting down Carlton by no means. But you have to wonder.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
A lot is positive but it worried me to see them slip back into old habits

Reaction Score
Didn’t Okafor or sit out that first game?

Reaction Score
We learned about Cobb which is huge but you guys aren't worried about what we learned about Carlton?
I think we learned that he’s a sophomore with plenty of work to do. I’m not going to write him off based on a two-game sample size, just as I wasn’t going to anoint him the next great big man after a two-game sample size.

Reaction Score

I was at MSG in November 2003 and saw Georgia Tech take a lethargic UCONN team to the woodshed, 4 months later UCONN whipped Gtech in the title game.

I wouldn't mind seeing that bit of history repeated.

EDIT: just reading through the thread I see this bit of history is already being discussed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Iowa was clearly the better team. They are very tough in a halfcourt game and our guards got rattled. A few bad calls made it an uphill battle. Gotta give credit to Iowa for playing very good D and executing well. I honestly think the only way we would have beaten that team would have been to run all night and turn it into a fullcourt game.

Fortunately, we have a stretch of easier games coming up that should allow our guys to get back in the groove and regain their confidence. I expect them to look very different against Cornell. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see UConn win by 15 or more.

Reaction Score
Carlton still needs some muscle. He looks “soft”, like he still has baby fat. That being said, as has been mentioned, he was 3*. We shouldn’t have unrealistic expectations about him. I love what I am seeing from Cobb.

Reaction Score
Happens so often, it’s like a formula. Big win followed by
Flat performance. It’s a long season, we’ll be fine. Going undefeated is not a realistic expectation.

Reaction Score
Didn’t Okafor or sit out that first game?

I believe Okafor played but with an injury and was ineffective which allowed the GT center to have a good game. A healthy OK4 played in the final and controlled and totally outplayed said center.

Reaction Score
I would agree with you to an extent but I don't see it as an aberration. Cobb looks like a guy who can compete against strong guys down low, Carlton doesn't. My excitement for what Cobb showed is tempered by what I saw from Carlton.

I think everyone here has been in agreement that Carlton is a 4-year project. He’s at the start of year 2. It’s pretty clear he’s made some progress that’s shown as strong play vs mid-level teams.

Next step is getting stronger and more aggressive vs. higher-level comp. I think he has the potential to reach that next step with Hurley at the helm but it may not really happen until next year.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think everyone here has been in agreement that Carlton is a 4-year project. He’s at the start of year 2. It’s pretty clear he’s made some progress that’s shown as strong play vs mid-level teams.

Next step is getting stronger and more aggressive vs. higher-level comp. I think he has the potential to reach that next step with Hurley at the helm but it may not really happen until next year.
Carlton needs to not be scared of contact. I think him being on the bench the last two games and watching Cobb get physical will motivate him. He’s talented on both ends of the court. He also needs to work on his foot speed and jumping. He may not improve his athleticism but he can definitely play by having a high IQ

Reaction Score

I was thinking of 2004 this week. I think also of the Dream Season (1989-90) when St. John's beat UConn 93-62 on January 2nd and UConn came back to beat St. John's 72-58 on January 27. As any NBA fan can tell you, never draw conclusions from one game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom