Not anything new, but this board is ridiculous | The Boneyard

Not anything new, but this board is ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Two games...TWO GAMES into our season as defending national champions and some people are ready to jump off the bridge.

Lack of a killer instinct? Really? In 8 months these kids who won us a National Title, somehow lost the killer instinct?

and

Napier can't play any defense? Either can Lamb?

and

How about Alex...not tough anymore and don't get me started on that bust Drummond...

I think the term New England curmudgeon was probably coined after reading this board.

It's two games vs Wagner and Columbia. We won, we'll move on and our kids will be fine.

Reaction Score
Sounds like somebody just lost their fantasy football game, bet the under in the Packers game, got drunk, and then wanted to vent about something.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Sounds like somebody just lost their fantasy football game, bet the under in the Packers game, got drunk, and then wanted to vent about something.

Wrong on all accounts, dick.

I just find it incredible after going through last March anyone would question any of these kid's "killer instincts" over a 12 point win vs Wagner.

Reaction Score
I'd rather blow everyone about by 40, but right now it isn't the worst thing to bring Drummond and Daniels (and Boatright soon) along with meaningful possessions. It's easy to make a play up by 30 when nothing's on the line and everyone's feeling great. If the other team hits a couple threes to cut a lead to 10, and they have to step up and make a play under a little bit of pressure - that's an early building block in their development. Not saying we should do it on purpose - learning how to put a team away is an important part of developing too, but it's a long season and there's always some positives and negatives to take out of any game this early.

Reaction Score
I can also vouch that it isn't anything new, as the OP said. How many here remember the great Marathon Oil ledge jump of 1998?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Two games...TWO GAMES into our season as defending national champions and some people are ready to jump off the bridge.

Lack of a killer instinct? Really? In 8 months these kids who won us a National Title, somehow lost the killer instinct?

and

Napier can't play any defense? Either can Lamb?

and

How about Alex...not tough anymore and don't get me started on that bust Drummond...

I think the term New England curmudgeon was probably coined after reading this board.

It's two games vs Wagner and Columbia. We won, we'll move on and our kids will be fine.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Wholeheartedly agree, can't believe all the Debbie- downers tonight!
Wagner is an experienced, confident, scrappy, physical team. Both they and
Columbia should finish in the top 3 in their leagues. JLamb has never been a PG but
He gained valuable experience playing PG against quick, physical
Defenders.
Free throw shooting definitely needs improvement, as does offensive
Execution in the half court, but these are the type of games where the team
Can gain the experience. 50 pt blowouts teach sloppy habits
And overconfidence, these give teaching point opportunities

Reaction Score
I agree with the op. its laughable how negative people are on here. its the second game of the season people! this team is where it should be with so many new parts,missing players and oh yeah no kemba. give them time. by the time march roles around i have NO DOUBT this team will be among the best in the country.

Reaction Score
Hey I give Wagner and their coaching staff, the Hurleys, a ton of credit on this one. How many teams will we see that can make Shabazz start the offense from 35 feet away or take away the ofense because they can guard him? #'s 15 and 4 both made him work his butt off to get theoffense in play as did anyone guarding Jeremy. Wagner's defense was very good and they play really hard. Let's give them a little credit for ebing a tough basketball team and making the Huskies work for their points in a big way.

Having said that a work in progress. This will end up the same as last year with a different road taken. Not necessarily a NC but a team capapble of playing for it. Right now they are not Top 10 as far as I can see but they will find their indentity. Watching UNC and the Cuse they have maturity at this point but our guys will be there and soon enough. There will most definitely be bumps so be prepared things will not come easy. Nonetheless come Feb/March there will not be many better teams you can see that. Getting Boatright back will be huge too!!

Reaction Score
^ Mau I am not liking the "give Hurley credit" I mean do we have to go so far that we are complimenting dookies now? Although I agree with everything you mentioned. I am liking the soft start of the year at this point- it looks like we will need the time.

That said- I personally think it has nothing to do with the team- or RB being out- or the mask- or that we are young and need to learn to play better together.
I believe it is our fault. We have not tended the mojo well early in the year. Our success has made us a soft whiny group here at the boneyard-posting about what we deserve and if we will lose any games this year.
The mojo police need to come back in full force-for instance there should never be a game allowed to start without a haiku thread well underway.
Also a good STFU every once and a while never hurt anyone- (I've received many here and ignored them all).

WE ARE DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Anyone who is about to jump off a bridge I suggest you read Jeff Jacobs column in the Htfd. Courant today.
Usually I disagree with Jacobs 90% of the time. Today, however, he got it 100% right.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
^ Mau I am not liking the "give Hurley credit" I mean do we have to go so far that we are complimenting dookies now? Although I agree with everything you mentioned. I am liking the soft start of the year at this point- it looks like we will need the time.

His mistake was putting the in Hurley. You can absolutely give credit to HC Danny Hurley. Playing at Seton Hall, he was a Big East guy!

Reaction Score

That said- I personally think it has nothing to do with the team- or RB being out- or the mask- or that we are young and need to learn to play better together.
I believe it is our fault. We have not tended the mojo well early in the year. Our success has made us a soft whiny group here at the boneyard-posting about what we deserve and if we will lose any games this year.
The mojo police need to come back in full force-for instance there should never be a game allowed to start without a haiku thread well underway.
Also a good STFU every once and a while never hurt anyone- (I've received many here and ignored them all).

WE ARE DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winning

Reaction Score
Hey I give Wagner and their coaching staff, the Hurleys, a ton of credit on this one. How many teams will we see that can make Shabazz start the offense from 35 feet away or take away the ofense because they can guard him? #'s 15 and 4 both made him work his butt off to get theoffense in play as did anyone guarding Jeremy. Wagner's defense was very good and they play really hard. Let's give them a little credit for ebing a tough basketball team and making the Huskies work for their points in a big way.

Having said that a work in progress. This will end up the same as last year with a different road taken. Not necessarily a NC but a team capapble of playing for it. Right now they are not Top 10 as far as I can see but they will find their indentity. Watching UNC and the Cuse they have maturity at this point but our guys will be there and soon enough. There will most definitely be bumps so be prepared things will not come easy. Nonetheless come Feb/March there will not be many better teams you can see that. Getting Boatright back will be huge too!!
As always, well said, Mau. Watching the game up close live, I was extremely impressed with how hard Wagner pressured our handlers. The refs allowed a lot of bumping which allowed Wagner to defend all the harder. Compounding the problem, our guards, yeah all two of them, couldn't defend as hard as Wagner because they both knew they had to play about 35+ minutes and had to stay out of foul trouble.

Although there have been some over-the-top posts after just watching 2 games, but most of it seems like sound observations to me. I don't have a problem with someone criticizing, say, Alex, who had back-to-back bad games. Hey, even his coach is keeping him on the bench because of his dissatisfaction with his game thus far. Now that doesn't mean he's going to stuggle all season long.

There's not a player on this team that I don't have confidence in as far as developing into a very good player during some stage of this season. This team is going to need time before they hit their stride. Boatright's absense IMO is really hurting this team's chemistry. Bazz & Lamb have had to play way too many minutes and when one of them is out of the line-up, it forces at least one player if not more to play out of position. Bazz, Boat and Lamb can all play off the ball at the 2. Once you begin to take any two of them out of the line-up you end up with someone playing the 2 who's not suited for that position and in some cases you end up with replacing that player at the wing with someone who doesn't play that position as well either.

If Lamb is at the one because Bazz is on the bench, JC has to slide someone like Daniels to the 2. Now you not only have a 2 playing the 1, you have possibly your best wing at the 2 and replacing him with either Giffey or Roscoe who are very good players but probably not as good an offensive weapon as Daniels at the 3.

Don't get me wrong, Giffey had some nice moments, but has been making some mistakes that are earning JC's ire. Roscoe seems to be looking more like a 4 lately and simply lacks that ball skills to create his own shot at the 3, which is what is expected in JC's system. I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I think many are underestimating the impact of not having Boatright. Position wise, he's arguably more important than the other two freshman. We at least have Roscoe & Giffey to man the 3 and plenty of bigs once they're all healthy. It's simply hard to execute on a consistent basis when you have just one PG and one true 2G. Boatright gives us that 3rd guard (combo guard) to keep the level of play high throughout the game.

So there's room to share critical observations, but for those who can't wait to step out on the ledge, please come back in, close the window and give it a few more games before you go back out there. :)

Reaction Score
As always, well said, Mau. Watching the game up close live, I was extremely impressed with how hard Wagner pressured our handlers. The refs allowed a lot of bumping which allowed Wagner to defend all the harder. Compounding the problem, our guards, yeah all two of them, couldn't defend as hard as Wagner because they both knew they had to play about 35+ minutes and had to stay out of foul trouble.

Although there have been some over-the-top posts after just watching 2 games, but most of it seems like sound observations to me. I don't have a problem with someone criticizing, say, Alex, who had back-to-back bad games. Hey, even his coach is keeping him on the bench because of his dissatisfaction with his game thus far. Now that doesn't mean he's going to stuggle all season long.

There's not a player on this team that I don't have confidence in as far as developing into a very good player during some stage of this season. This team is going to need time before they hit their stride. Boatright's absense IMO is really hurting this team's chemistry. Bazz & Lamb have had to play way too many minutes and when one of them is out of the line-up, it forces at least one player if not more to play out of position. Bazz, Boat and Lamb can all play off the ball at the 2. Once you begin to take any two of them out of the line-up you end up with someone playing the 2 who's not suited for that position and in some cases you end up with replacing that player at the wing with someone who doesn't play that position as well either.

If Lamb is at the one because Bazz is on the bench, JC has to slide someone like Daniels to the 2. Now you not only have a 2 playing the 1, you have possibly your best wing at the 2 and replacing him with either Giffey or Roscoe who are very good players but probably not as good an offensive weapon as Daniels at the 3.

Don't get me wrong, Giffey had some nice moments, but has been making some mistakes that are earning JC's ire. Roscoe seems to be looking more like a 4 lately and simply lacks that ball skills to create his own shot at the 3, which is what is expected in JC's system. I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I think many are underestimating the impact of not having Boatright. Position wise, he's arguably more important than the other two freshman. We at least have Roscoe & Giffey to man the 3 and plenty of bigs once they're all healthy. It's simply hard to execute on a consistent basis when you have just one PG and one true 2G. Boatright gives us that 3rd guard (combo guard) to keep the level of play high throughout the game.

So there's room to share critical observations, but for those who can't wait to step out on the ledge, please come back in, close the window and give it a few more games before you go back out there. :)

I'm not sure why Roscoe's playing so tentatively on offense, and won't put the ball on the floor. I believe he has a better handle than he's given credit for (during the Hartford ProAm 'Scoe aggressively took ball to the hole and was able to generate a number of nice 'and 1 opportunities). Maybe he fears being benched in favor of DD if he makes any sort of mistake. I just want to see him trust his stuff a bit more on offense. Same goes with NG who seemed unwilling to even attempt a 3.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why Roscoe's playing so tentatively on offense, and won't put the ball on the floor. I believe he has a better handle than he's given credit for (during the Hartford ProAm 'Scoe aggressively took ball to the hole and was able to generate a number of nice 'and 1 opportunities). Maybe he fears being benched in favor of DD if he makes any sort of mistake. I just want to see him trust his stuff a bit more on offense. Same goes with NG who seemed unwilling to even attempt a 3.

NG plays ok defense, but he doesn't even freaking look at the hoop on offense, and makes me nervous every time he has the ball in his hands. Reminds me of watching a high school kid who is nervous during a big-game, puts his blinders on. Not trashing the kid, but blinders are a bad sign.

'Scoe is what 'Scoe is. He is a rugged, tough, mean defender who can guard multiple positions and shoot spot up threes with pretty good efficiency. He shoots with confidence when he's spotting up. He doesn't really have terrific instincts or agility to put the ball on the deck, however. Still, that's an excellent skill combination for a quality role player.

Reaction Score
We suck. Calhoun sucks. Blaney sucks when he's not sleeping. And Drummond is the 2nd coming of Boo Willingham. ;)

Reaction Score
I don't think this board is too bad, actually. The team isn't playing up to its potential, but then again neither is any team at this point in the season. Everybody on our team can improve, so I think it is fair to point out the strengths/weaknesses in their game. No reason to complain about 2-0, but at the same time, we all know the team can play better. Improvement will be key. After a few more games we will have a better idea of where we are, and from that point, improvement is all the fans can hope for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom