Not another negative thread, a rational thread. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Not another negative thread, a rational thread.

Reaction Score
All I ask for is when losing is too see what 10 toes and no escaltors looks like. Don't need to have shooters, dribblers, full/healthy roster, rebounders or 5* players to make that happen.

Just need someone to demand nothing less or tolerate nothing less.

Knowing we weren't going undefeated every season, that's really what I brought into a while back. I'm still waiting to receive my purchase.

Reaction Score
It’s crazy that this is the same coach who said this in the 2014 NCAAT game against Nova:
Still one of my favorite halftime interviews from a UConn coach ever.

Gonna be watching 2014 highlights all night, reminiscing.

Reaction Score
Look, we looked pretty good against Tulane and UCF, at least for what we are capable of. But, two wins against average-to-mediocre team in our conference don’t hide our faults.

We have one ball handler, one guy who can pass the ball, one guy who can get to the rim consistently. That is Jalen. And when the only other guy who can create his shot is out, an away win is virtually impossible for this team.

I’m betond the point of getting mad at this team, I can’t get frustrated at players who are who they are, role players. You can’t expect much out of them. That goes back to recruiting, yes, but it is what it is.

Ollie hasn’t been great, we all know that, but at this point there isn’t much he can do. AA is the worst offensive player i’ve ever seen that plays 30+ minutes a game, Diarra and DO are just not good players, at least at this point for Diarra, Carlton shows things but is a poor defender and IMO somewhat overrated on here, and Whaley, although he has been a pleasant surprise, is still very raw and not an offensive threat.

I know this isn’t gonna make most people happy, but to expect more than a inconsistent, hard to watch team is somewhat irrational. It is what it is, hopefully our younger guys keep improving and are ready to take on bigger roles as the season progresses.
Not to mention this team thrown together at the 11th hour as well. It’s Shakespeare’s best!

Reaction Score
I have a buyout thought for everyone. Why wouldn’t the famed nba alum pony up the loot to save the U if they felt KO was killing it? Not a jab at the haters just a thought. Wouldn’t take much more than a phone call or brute to for those guys to get 9 mill together in a week or so.

Reaction Score
What exactly is it that all the "complimentary" and/or "athletic" players bring to this team? What role do all these "role players" play? It would be one thing if they had a guy who was a lights-out shooter they brought in for instant offense and to shoot free throws at the end of a game, or an offensively-challenged big who eats space in the center and can rebound - that's what role players do. UConn doesn't have those guys. From what I can see, it's basically Adams, Vital, Larrier, and then a bunch of "role players" who can't shoot, (based on tonight's performance) can't rebound, can't dribble, and can't pass. It's like this team has eight guys who do nothing more than bring five fouls to the table.

Sad to say, but the talent on last year's team was head and shoulders above the talent on this team. Last year, UConn had at least six guys who you could potentially score (Adams, Vital, Brimah, Purvis, Jackson, and even Facey on occasion). To think I was hoping that this team would be better due to addition by subtraction.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is what it currently feels like:

1. Beginning of the season the roster is healthy
  2. Slowly but surely started to show promise with the roster (blew out BU, beat Oregon in Oregon)
  3. Gilbert gets injured
  4. Team starts playing an embarrassing brand of basketball
  5. For the next 11 games, the team looks mediocre to OK
  6. Team finally starts to figure out with roster less Gilbert v. UCF & Tulane
  7. Then Larrier goes out and likely is the straw that breaks the camels back
My point is that this was a horribly coached game by KO and looking at how we got here, it feels like it takes him a while to course correct as the lineup keeps thinning out. It's not an excuse, just an observation.

I'll also add that this is not the game I would ballistic on KO. Hard when you have one truly good player and a bunch of guys that are more complimentary in skillset. That title belongs with [insert bad loss here of your preference since 2014].

Vital is good when he doesn't have to force it up or create too much -- he was asked to do both today and the results were horrendous.

I'm not going to draw anything from this but Ollie did not do a good job (obviously).

I also don't play AA and DO rest of season. They are both bad and I'd rather let young guys get experience who are the future.
Bingo-it's a combination of everything......injuries, coaching, limited talent.

I agree no more AA and DO. May be AA for a few minutes but let the young bigs play and develop.

Reaction Score
No other coach takes this current group of players (and next year's) and makes them better. Sorry. Someone mentioned going with 3 guards last night as a coaching issue - who else brings up the ball if we don't play Anderson?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Guys can't shoot, dribble and pass. Guys can't defend the 3 ball or the rim, don't know how to properly rotate and box out. We've got guys with low energy to start games, guys with headaches and bad shoulders and guys who get overly demonstrative when they hit a three and a two consecutively. We've got guys who make faces, stare at the ground while holding rolled up papers and pretend that drawing up a simple inbounds play is the equivalent of writing War and Peace.

We can rip the kids all we want but only one person is responsible for this hot steaming mess: the coach.

Reaction Score
Guys can't shoot, dribble and pass. Guys can't defend the 3 ball or the rim, don't know how to properly rotate and box out. We've got guys with low energy to start games, guys with headaches and bad shoulders and guys who get overly demonstrative when they hit a three and a two consecutively. We've got guys who make faces, stare at the ground while holding rolled up papers and pretend that drawing up a simple inbounds play is the equivalent of writing War and Peace.

We can rip the kids all we want but only one person is responsible for this hot steaming mess: the coach.
No other coach makes Antoine Anderson a better shooter. No other coach makes Antoine Anderson a better ball-handler. No other coach makes Vital a better ball-handler. You can bench him for show-boating, you can yell at him for being overly demonstrative, but he's a top 3 scorer on this team so unfortunately, you don't have the luxury of pulling him for an extended period of time. No other coach puts 20 lbs of muscle on Whaley and Carlton to stop Parks from bullying his way to 21 pts and 11 rebounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I have a buyout thought for everyone. Why wouldn’t the famed nba alum pony up the loot to save the U if they felt KO was killing it? Not a jab at the haters just a thought. Wouldn’t take much more than a phone call or brute to for those guys to get 9 mill together in a week or so.
This is actually a great point but KO is their brother essentially. I can’t see them kicking in to cost him his job.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
And some think hanging onto Ollie is worth it to keep the commitment of the 90th best high school player?
Serious question, where is the cash coming from to buy out KO's contract (I apologize in advance if you are a significant enough contributor to cover it)? Most who aren't crying constantly about the need to can our current head coach are accepting of the strong likelihood of him being here for the remainder of this season and the entirety of next season.

If it were presented to us that the buyout has already been covered, I'm sure nearly everyone here would be posting about who they would like to see as our next head coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom