Not another negative thread, a rational thread. | The Boneyard

Not another negative thread, a rational thread.

Reaction Score
Look, we looked pretty good against Tulane and UCF, at least for what we are capable of. But, two wins against average-to-mediocre team in our conference don’t hide our faults.

We have one ball handler, one guy who can pass the ball, one guy who can get to the rim consistently. That is Jalen. And when the only other guy who can create his shot is out, an away win is virtually impossible for this team.

I’m betond the point of getting mad at this team, I can’t get frustrated at players who are who they are, role players. You can’t expect much out of them. That goes back to recruiting, yes, but it is what it is.

Ollie hasn’t been great, we all know that, but at this point there isn’t much he can do. AA is the worst offensive player i’ve ever seen that plays 30+ minutes a game, Diarra and DO are just not good players, at least at this point for Diarra, Carlton shows things but is a poor defender and IMO somewhat overrated on here, and Whaley, although he has been a pleasant surprise, is still very raw and not an offensive threat.

I know this isn’t gonna make most people happy, but to expect more than a inconsistent, hard to watch team is somewhat irrational. It is what it is, hopefully our younger guys keep improving and are ready to take on bigger roles as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
I said it in the game thread: without Larrier, this might not be a top three team in the America East. They're just painfully limited and devoid of talent. I consider myself one of the more optimistic posters at this point, but even after the last two games, I knew this was coming. When I heard Larrier was out any hope I had of winning this game immediately evaporated.

Reaction Score
Losing Larrier is a bridge too dar on this team but I don’t understand why the rebound discrepancy tonight. Also been saying that we don’t have a reliable 3 point shooter, no one seems to agree.

Reaction Score
At this point they need to force someone out and Adams and Larrier need to stay. There’s just an overwhelming lack of talent on this team.

Reaction Score
I feel like you have severely misread the tone of the board if you think that saying that this team isn't capable of more than inconsistent and hard to watch basketball will somehow surprise people or that you'll be met with much disagreement.

Reaction Score
Look, we looked pretty good against Tulane and UCF, at least for what we are capable of. But, two wins against average-to-mediocre team in our conference don’t hide our faults.

We have one ball handler, one guy who can pass the ball, one guy who can get to the rim consistently. That is Jalen. And when the only other guy who can create his shot is out, an away win is virtually impossible for this team.

I’m betond the point of getting mad at this team, I can’t get frustrated at players who are who they are, role players. You can’t expect much out of them. That goes back to recruiting, yes, but it is what it is.

Ollie hasn’t been great, we all know that, but at this point there isn’t much he can do. AA is the worst offensive player i’ve ever seen that plays 30+ minutes a game, Diarra and DO are just not good players, at least at this point for Diarra, Carlton shows things but is a poor defender and IMO somewhat overrated on here, and Whaley, although he has been a pleasant surprise, is still very raw and not an offensive threat.

I know this isn’t gonna make most people happy, but to expect more than a inconsistent, hard to watch team is somewhat irrational. It is what it is, hopefully our younger guys keep improving and are ready to take on bigger roles as the season progresses.

What you are saying is fair. But there's more to it. Only having 4 guards (one of whom is always injured) is a recipe for an uphill battle. And there are plenty of other glaring deficiencies. This simply is not a well constructed nor well coached group of players. It really is a mess.

Reaction Score
Sorry. No.

With 7 minutes left we are losing the rebounding battle by 15!

Vital and anderson are both playing terrible.

And yet we still go 3 guards?

Not to mention how many points given up inside the paint.

Absolutely terrible adjustments by KO given larrier out and the developments of the game.

Pathetic.

Reaction Score
I feel like you have severely misread the tone of the board if you think that saying that this team isn't capable of more than inconsistent and hard to watch basketball will somehow surprise people or that you'll be met with much disagreement.
A lot of people after the last few games thought that we had turned over a new stone in some respects.

Reaction Score
Memphis has less talent than this UConn roster. They lost everyone but Martin to transfers, and had a horrible JUCO filled recruiting class. There’s no world in which the game should be this lopsided.

There’s always an excuse for Ollie, and a lot have been legitimate gripes. But how long can you let this continue? Who has faith in this program right now? Our fans don’t, the media doesn’t, and worst of all, the players don’t seem to.

There is simply an insurmountable number of obstacles ahead of KO as HC of this program. I love KO, but UConn needs a change of scenery badly.

Reaction Score
Memphis has less talent than this UConn roster. They lost everyone but Martin to transfers, and had a horrible JUCO filled recruiting class. There’s no world in which the game should be this lopsided.

There’s always an excuse for Ollie, and a lot have been legitimate gripes. But how long can you let this continue? Who has faith in this program right now? Our fans don’t, the media doesn’t, and worst of all, the players don’t seem to.

There is simply an insurmountable number of obstacles ahead of KO as HC of this program. I love KO, but UConn needs a change of scenery badly.
If AG and Terry are healthy, yeah I think we have more talent. But KO does not cause a 30 point swing with his coaching, they have better players playing than we do right now.

Reaction Score
This is a bad team that’s poorly coached.

And this year’s roster is likely better than next year. Can you imagine what Ollie will do with even less talent?

Enough. Just enough.
No I agree completely, i’m just trying to make the point that our players, or more specifically their talent level, is as much of a reason that we are where we are.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
No I agree completely, i’m just trying to make the point that our players, or more specifically their talent level, is as much of a reason that we are where we are.
I disagree to an extent. This team isn’t loaded, but there are top 50 teams with less talented rosters, but with great coaches.

Reaction Score
I disagree to an extent. This team isn’t loaded, but there are top 50 teams with less talented rosters, but with great coaches.
I’m not sure I agree with that. I guess it is debatable, but that’s where the coaching and talent development discrepancies come in as you said. But I think the notion that we have a overly talented roster is kinda a proof is in the pudding kind of thing.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I’m not sure I agree with that. I guess it is debatable, but that’s where the coaching and talent development discrepancies come in as you said. But I think the notion that we have a overly talented roster is kinda a proof is in the pudding kind of thing.
Yeah it’s a hard concept to agree upon or quantify. Either way, my point is that Ollie doesn’t come close to getting the most out of these kids.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Tonight was just a crap show, nothing else to be said.

Reaction Score
Enough with all these athletic players. The most basic task on the court is shooting the ball, and our team has an incredible lack of even marginal shooters. How can a team be constructed like this? Take a bus ride out into the Indiana cornfields and find some 6'4" farmboy with a decent set shot who can make 40% from beyond the arc in a part-time role.

Rant #2: How can the coaches not even teach how to set a pick? Tonight, the UConn players were standing SIDEWAYS when trying to set a pick for Jalen. Such poor fundamentals I have never seen.

Reaction Score
We go through this after every bad loss though. This isn’t a pro team where a coach is hamstrung sometimes by a lack of talent acquired by a GM. In this case, the coach is also the GM, and to this point a very poor one.

Reaction Score
This is what it currently feels like:

1. Beginning of the season the roster is healthy
  2. Slowly but surely started to show promise with the roster (blew out BU, beat Oregon in Oregon)
  3. Gilbert gets injured
  4. Team starts playing an embarrassing brand of basketball
  5. For the next 11 games, the team looks mediocre to OK
  6. Team finally starts to figure out with roster less Gilbert v. UCF & Tulane
  7. Then Larrier goes out and likely is the straw that breaks the camels back
My point is that this was a horribly coached game by KO and looking at how we got here, it feels like it takes him a while to course correct as the lineup keeps thinning out. It's not an excuse, just an observation.

I'll also add that this is not the game I would ballistic on KO. Hard when you have one truly good player and a bunch of guys that are more complimentary in skillset. That title belongs with [insert bad loss here of your preference since 2014].

Vital is good when he doesn't have to force it up or create too much -- he was asked to do both today and the results were horrendous.

I'm not going to draw anything from this but Ollie did not do a good job (obviously).

I also don't play AA and DO rest of season. They are both bad and I'd rather let young guys get experience who are the future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom