OT: - Not a quiz, but for fun - Name a place not pronounced the way it looks | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Not a quiz, but for fun - Name a place not pronounced the way it looks

Reaction Score
Chuluota (pronounced Choo-lee-OH-tah), FL, a small town near Orlando.

Between Orlando and Chuluota is my town, Oviedo (Oh-VEE-doe).

Reaction Score
From my neck-o-the-woods:
Tooele, UT (too-Ella)
Oquirrh, UT (Oh-ker)
Nephi, UT (Nee-fie)
Scipio, UT (Sippy-oh)
Sevier, UT (seVeer)
Hurricane, UT (Hurrikin)
Duchesne, UT (doo-Shain)
Ouray, CO (you-Ray)
Olathe, CO (oh-Laytha)
Berthoud, CO (Ber-thud)
Saguache, CO (sa-Watch)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Tulalip, WA is another interesting one. Too-lay-lup is about how it's pronounced.

Reaction Score
The place names here in CA could drive one crazy. Many are pronounced like in Spanish (it once was all Mexico here) but many are not. My favorites include the town next door to me - Port Hueneme. I wanted to say it like Spanish, HWEN-na-may. It is really pronounced wye-NEE-mee. My other favorite is north of here. Paso Robles ignores Spanish pronunciation and is pronounce PASS-o Ro-bulls. The other thing is many place names here came from DEVELOPERS and may mean nothing. I always thought La Crescenta was Spanish for The Crescent but it turns out it was named by an Anglo developer and is meaningless.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
2 more from Arizona -

Prescott - the saying goes Prescott like Biscuit

the Mogollon Rim (its a geographic feature, a major escarpment) - pronounced - as they say - muggy on rim.

Reaction Score
Hmm, no one mentioned California. Only Arnold pronounced it the way it's spelled. Foreigners...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet but the #1 pick for me is Des Moines, Iowa. i
Yea, that's the first one came to my mind. My brother lives out there.

I'll add Norfolk and Suffolk. Pronounced norfuk and suffuk.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Where is Versailles?
It is in the department of Yvelines, in the province of Ile de France. 20 klicks southwest of Paris city center. Nice place , but I would not want to pay the utilities there.

Reaction Score
Yea, that's the first one came to my mind. My brother lives out there.

I'll add Norfolk and Suffolk. Pronounced norfuk and suffuk.
In the same geographic area, Portsmouth, Va.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I visited Rolla a few years ago. When the rental car clerk at the Saint Louis airport asked me where I was headed, I said, "Roll-a." She'd never heard of it. When I said it was down 64, where the University is, she said, "Oh, you mean Rahl-a." There were a lot of country boys at the company I was visiting
I was so used to saying Rah-la I failed to see the Roll-a possibility. I worked with a few country "boys" while in St. Louis (San Louie?). They used a few colloquialisms. I gave a responsibilities choice to a fellow. He responded dontmakemenonevermind. For a moment I wondered if he was of German heritage. After parsing the "word" and cancelling the double negative, I asked; you don't care which choice? He response: "That IS what I said!" One fellow expressed to me he was "flustrated." Presumably a combination of being flustered and frustrated. Now flustrated is in the Merriam Webster dictionary.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With so many hoops fans I'm surprised no one mentioned Loo-a-vul.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom