Not a lot to analyze from the CCSU game. | The Boneyard

Not a lot to analyze from the CCSU game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
When the game can't tell us much, I paid more attention to the announcers' mistakes.
Picozzi is getting old, or his mind was on Christmas instead of the game. At one point, he was talking about how good Shane Miller is. But his biggest lack of attention was in the 1st half when a Blue Devil -- I think it was Bowles (sp?) drove the lane and drew a foul. The ball rolled around the rim, and didn't go in. It really looked like it was going down, but it didn't. He said, "He'll have a chance for the traditional 3 point play." They showed the reply twice. He still didn't notice. On the 2nd foul shot, he said, "They're not counting the basket, and he gets two shots," or something to that effect. Of course they aren't counting it, Bob. It didn't go through the hoop. Then late in the game, he said "When Shaka Smart started coaching Texas Tech..."

Greenberg's no better. Harry Dickerman? Omar had a great sophomore season?

I did pay attention to the game itself. Like I said, not too much to take away from this one. But...

With no Amida, Miller became the primary beneficiary of Hamilton's lobs. I think he has Dham to thank for 16 of his 25.

Did they count Dham's pass to Facey that went off the heel of his hand, directly to Miller who laid it in as an assist for Dham? I hope not.

Overall, Facey played well. Defensive positioning needs work, but since he's so good at getting/maintaining defensive rebound position, that's a trade off we can live with, I think. At least until he goes up against a skilled offensive center and his defensive footwork really gets exploited. Without actually rewatching the game to concentrate on the minutes differential, it seemed to me that he got a lot of burn in the 2nd half.

I was also impressed with some of what Enoch did out there today. He's got some decent looking offensive moves. I believe someone might have mentioned it previously, but he might just has a little Marcus White in him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
When the game can't tell us much, I paid more attention to the announcers' mistakes.
Picozzi is getting old, or his mind was on Christmas instead of the game. At one point, he was talking about how good Shane Miller is. But his biggest lack of attention was in the 1st half when a Blue Devil -- I think it was Bowles (sp?) drove the lane and drew a foul. The ball rolled around the rim, and didn't go in. It really looked like it was going down, but it didn't. He said, "He'll have a chance for the traditional 3 point play." They showed the reply twice. He still didn't notice. On the 2nd foul shot, he said, "They're not counting the basket, and he gets two shots," or something to that effect. Of course they aren't counting it, Bob. It didn't go through the hoop. Then late in the game, he said "When Shaka Smart started coaching Texas Tech..."

I did pay attention to the game itself. Like I said, not too much to take away from this one. But...

With no Amida, Miller became the primary beneficiary of Hamilton's lobs. I think he has Dham to thank for 16 of his 25.

Did they count Dham's pass to Facey that went off the heel of his hand, directly to Miller who laid it in as an assist for Dham? I hope not.

Overall, Facey played well. Defensive positioning needs work, but since he's so good at getting/maintaining defensive rebound position, that's a trade off we can live with, I think. At least until he goes up against a skilled offensive center and his defensive footwork really gets exploited. Without actually rewatching the game to concentrate on the minutes differential, it seemed to me that he got a lot of burn in the 2nd half.

I was also impressed with some of what Enoch did out there today. He's got some decent looking offensive moves. I believe someone might have mentioned it previously, but he might just has a little Marcus White in him.

Total. Ripoff. We want Chief's Briefs!!!!!!!!!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Total. Ripoff. We want Chief's Briefs!!!!!!!!!

Another nickname for Rich is Dick, so maybe we can...nevermind, I think I'll just stop there.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
The one stat that surprised me was they shot more free throws than we did (26-22). Low majors should not be shooting more free throws than us. I get that we shot 60% so there aren't a lot of free throws to go around but that's not a good trend. Also we had two more fouls (22-20). We shouldn't get more fouls when our guards should be destroying their guards on drives. Those two things concern me from a game that didn't.

One other thing that also concerned me was that while Hamilton was getting his triple double, he also got beaten on defense consistently for the second game against a team with a lot less talent. Kid has to become an average defender sooner than later. Right now, he's a sieve. Besides giving up points, he puts other players at risk of picking up fouls.

Reaction Score
One other thing that also concerned me was that while Hamilton was getting his triple double, he also got beaten on defense consistently for the second game against a team with a lot less talent. Kid has to become an average defender sooner than later. Right now, he's a sieve. Besides giving up points, he puts other players at risk of picking up fouls.

Ollie benched him a couple of times for that. Once not shortly after he re-entered the game. Can't keep him on the bench for long but it appears Ollie is aware and trying all he can to send a message. Coach is limited due to DHam being so good. Situation reminds me a little of James Harden.

Reaction Score
The one stat that surprised me was they shot more free throws than we did (26-22). Low majors should not be shooting more free throws than us. I get that we shot 60% so there aren't a lot of free throws to go around but that's not a good trend. Also we had two more fouls (22-20). We shouldn't get more fouls when our guards should be destroying their guards on drives. Those two things concern me from a game that didn't.

He is our worst on man defender no doubt. Problem is he's our offense and also our best defensive rebounder, even with his weaknesses we have to have him out there. Strange because he could be a good defender, he just seems to have trouble staying in one place.

Reaction Score
He is our worst on man defender no doubt. Problem is he's our offense and also our best defensive rebounder, even with his weaknesses we have to have him out there. Strange because he could be a good defender, he just seems to have trouble staying in one place.
True, sort of. Part of the reason, not all, is that often times is he is faced with a mismatch. When we go big, he is forced to guard a smaller, usually quicker wing on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
True, sort of. Part of the reason, not all, is that often times is he is faced with a mismatch. When we go big, he is forced to guard a smaller, usually quicker wing on the perimeter.

True, to a point. He is a good enough and smart enough athlete to be a good defender against 6'4-6'10 if need be. Don't need to be great, just need to wander less and stay home. Love the kid just needs to tighten up.

Reaction Score
Some observations from section 113, row M, seat 5:
Dham does so much out there its amazing;
Enoch is HUGE, like NBA center Huge. Based on his frame alone scouts are paying lots of attention to him;
Sterling is good, but really has not found his role on this team;
Rodney is a very unique player. When he is "on" points come very easily;
The team is much better when Miller gets lots of touches;

Reaction Score
True, to a point. He is a good enough and smart enough athlete to be a good defender against 6'4-6'10 if need be. Don't need to be great, just need to wander less and stay home. Love the kid just needs to tighten up.
Whats not to love? If you are a basketball fan in general and not UConn specific, its still fun to watch a kid play like DHam.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We should play a zone to hide DHam and Gibbs' horrid defense.

Reaction Score
I think we threw the ball away three of our first four possessions. And why does DHam constantly leave his man? Just stay with the guy. And CCSU shot too many lay ups. But that will be life without Brimah.

Except for that, not much to complain about.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Another nickname for Rich is Dick, so maybe we can...nevermind, I think I'll just stop there.

Dick's drippings? I mean there was a NASCAR driver named Dick Trickle so that one's not available.

Reaction Score

I'm in Connecticut this Xmas weekend visiting family here. My wife and I were able to get some free tickets to the game while waiting in line. Great fortune! We worked our way down to the lower bowl since the place was only half filled. Weird time and date for the game for sure!

I disagree about SM just getting easy points in the game. He did get some nice lobs from DHAM especially the back forth break pass from DHAM for the dunk and play of the game. Though unlike other games were they fed him once or twice inside they actually did multiple times and he just out jumped the Central defenders with nice jump hooks and turnarounds. He also had that 3 point shot in the flow was nice to see. First of the season I believe. It is just incredible how athletic SM is and can just jump over people. I know in the Texas game it will be harder with their bigger lineup. Definitely DHAM, RP and KF also played well. Now SE I like too and as someone mentioned he already has an NBA Center body. I did like his one post move he scored on. He gets such great position down low and ceils off his man. The team needs to start rewarding him down low for this. Now on defense he seems scared to stand up straight and take a charge or block a shot when a small guy is coming at him full speed. He needs to learn to stand strong and play better D there. Definitely his D is lacking over his offense but it is refreshing to see a big man get that great position down low and score with a soft touch. I love PN but he is pretty much just 5 fouls at this point of his career. He has definitely seen his career take the TO slow decline over the course of it. I think like TO the added weight actually hurt more than helped due to their limited athletic ability.

Great to see a game this year even though it was a blowout. Go UCONN!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

There are a lot of good things happening with this team offensively vs. some prior year teams. On the other hand, I agree with your post and many others that this team does not bear any resemblance to the "elite defensive" Uconn teams of the past. What some announcers and pundits called "winning ugly" as in 2009 and maybe 2011 was really lock down elite defensive play that took many a big name opponent completely out of their game. This was "hungry huskies" at it's best. It took time to mold those teams into that both as individuals and as a unit. This is going to take some serious attitude adjustments on the players part and relentless coaching to play with that intensity down the road. I believe that the coaches have the capacity and willingness to do the job. The jury is still out on the players. Believe they have the capacity to do it. Do they have the willingness? Sure hope so. Go Huskies. Shock the world (again!!!!)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Dhams defense is due to lack of "practice". He probably never worked on D in HS and AAU.
He is a great athlete so that is not the problem
To me, he sometimes looks just plain non caring and a bit lazy
I love the guy and have seen improvement in many areas but not in the D and that is an immediate MUST

Reaction Score
If we don't have Amida unitil say mid Feb, and can win key games it sets us up for a good seed and we will be a better team for it when he returns. At that point we put it all together for the run. Very nice bromance piece on KO and Howie. If Howie ever gives up Central I would love him to come back in some capacity for us, he's got a lot of knowledge.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Every team seems to shoot more FTs than UCONN. Getting zero benefit of the doubt this year.

Hamilton's just not a good defender. He should be better, given his length and decent athletic ability, but he's not. He and Gibbs are holes, and in my opinion, this is what has killed us this year. You can hide one hole on defense, but two is mostly impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom