Not A Fan Of Rebecca Doing Games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Not A Fan Of Rebecca Doing Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
What separates Lobo from every other color commentator in women's college basketball is her ability to dissect and analyze both simple and complex basketball plays and present the Xs and Os to the viewer. She does this better than anyone else calling WCBB games. She does not just know the basics like some, and she does not just throw out terms like others. Rather, she explains the simple and the complex, but does so in a way that educates the viewer, and she does so in a way that heightens the enjoyment and understanding of the game.

She also has a very dry sense of humor and is quick-witted. When she was calling a WNBA game on Oxygen a few years ago, Pam Ward did a promo for "Nice Package," Oxygen's new home improvement show. After Ward's plug, Lobo immediately quipped, "Oxygen is now the euphemism network."

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Beat me to it. I did hear he dated Mrs. Brown's lovely daughter.

Herman's Hermits was signed because the record company thought that Peter Noone looked like a US president. Who was it?

Now take this softball and hit it out of the park!

Reaction Score
Rebecca is not my favorite announcer. She really has an anti UConn bias and some of her comments just are simply not necessary. OK she is a great past UConn ball player, but so what. I'm no longer interested and she does not do the current Lady Huskies justice. 1995 is simply too far in the past for me to pretend to have a loyalty to her, unless she changes her ways.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
As an aside, but as a response to those posters who believe Rebecca Lobo has an "anti-UConn bias," a number of Louisville fans have been critical of Lobo for being too "pro-UConn" in her analysis.

So if both sides think the announcer/commentator favors the opposing team, does that count as objectivity? :)

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
interested and she does not do the current Lady Huskies justice. 1995 is simply too far in the past for me to pretend to have a loyalty to her, unless she changes her ways.

LAdy Husky alert Lady Husk alert...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As an aside, but as a response to those posters who believe Rebecca Lobo has an "anti-UConn bias," a number of Louisville fans have been critical of Lobo for being too "pro-UConn" in her analysis.

So if both sides think the announcer/commentator favors the opposing team, does that count as objectivity? :)

Not in this case. How much praise can you expect when your starters shoot 27% from the floor?

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Beat me to it. I did hear he dated Mrs. Brown's lovely daughter.
He asked her out because something told him he'd be into something good.
When it didn't pan out, things got awkward and there was a kind of hush.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Rebecca is not my favorite announcer. She really has an anti UConn bias and some of her comments just are simply not necessary. OK she is a great past UConn ball player, but so what. I'm no longer interested and she does not do the current Lady Huskies justice. 1995 is simply too far in the past for me to pretend to have a loyalty to her, unless she changes her ways.

Oh, Geez: "Lady Huskies"? "1995 is simply too far in the past"? "unless she changes her ways"?

To put it bluntly, either you're a troll, pretending to be a UConn fan, or you are the person who validates Mike Demauro's contention that Boneyarders are stupid.

Reaction Score
The games would be so much better with the sound turned off and no commentary at all, in my opinion. I don't need all that talking while I'm watching.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Thoughts from a retired sports broadcaster here. First, Lobo does well with both content and delivery. Sometimes she does go out of her way to try to "balance" things. Consider: What would you do if your alma mater was up by 20 with ten to go ...in the FIRST half? At some point you start digging deep to find anything positive to say about the underdog. You know you'll look biased whether you do or don't.

The studio announcer at ESPN who could not frame "Auriemma," needs a sharp producer to call it to his attention. His mistake, but not his alone.

I realize a blow-out game is difficult. My worst broadcasts were of this sort. But it was only 4-ish minutes into each of UConn's last several games before we started to hear all about the great Notre Dame. That got old. In fairness, in the early minutes of the ND versus Duke game, they mentioned UConn.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The studio announcer at ESPN who could not frame "Auriemma," needs a sharp producer to call it to his attention. His mistake, but not his alone.

I dunno. That was a Les Nessman-level mistake. Geno's been around for a long time for someone in the biz to make that goof. I'll give him a pass for Quinna-PEE-ac.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Lobo has good commentary but has a monotone delivery. But I'll take a knowledgable commentator over a commentator with good delivery only any day.

That lady that did the SEC games with Peck was horrible.
Maybe she was tired but last night that voice put my dog to sleep.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Ironically, I believe last year Lobo was chastised on here for forcing excitement in her tone. I personally prefer last night's "natural" version of Lobo.

She's been doing it this year as well, just not last night. Excitement is OK but the key phrase is "forced". That is exactly what it seems like she's doing when she picks a play and does her Dick Vitale impersonation. Can't help but feel that the technique was suggested at the urging of her employers. I prefer last night's natural commentary as well.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I dunno. That was a Les Nessman-level mistake. Geno's been around for a long time for someone in the biz to make that goof. I'll give him a pass for Quinna-PEE-ac.

not me...:)

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Oh, Geez: "Lady Huskies"? "1995 is simply too far in the past"? "unless she changes her ways"?

To put it bluntly, either you're a troll, pretending to be a UConn fan, or you are the person who validates Mike Demauro's contention that Boneyarders are stupid.

Winner, Winner Chicken dinner...Wannabe gets the..

Reaction Score
Rebecca is a very good announcer. Yes, she should be neutral in calling the game. Nevertheless, I have deep reservations when she seems to chastise the ref's for not calling out fouls against UConn, more so than for the opposing team.

Reaction Score
I don't know about anyone else but I'm not a fan of Rebecca's calling games. It gives her too much of a forum to express opinions, some of which I don't think are UConn friendly. When Stef was called for a moving screen, Lobo basically said that she's lucky not to get that call a lot because she in fact frequently moves setting screens. I think a remark like that could set Stef up to get additional scrutiny in the tournament and wouldn't that be something if Stef got in serious foul trouble as a result, in a close game. She made a couple of other remarks that were similarly troublesome though my senior brain is having a freeze at the moment. I like her in the studio with Kara Lawson or on the sidelines but definitely behind the mike during a game. I guess she was called on because there were so many games over the last week and game announcers were spread pretty thin. I hope not to see her again anytime soon.

I'm a fan of her doing games. Plus I don't believe she can bring out additional scrutiny through her calling the games.

But I do disagree with her often and sometimes imo she is way too harsh (not just UCONN) or singles out UCONN (but not as much with others which is my perception) a bit much for my tastes. Others say they love it. Okay fine. But I don't have to. I don't hate it at all. Anyhow it's no big deal. If UCONN had a problem someone like CD wouldn't shy away from a comment. SO if her critique is good enough for them then it's good enough for me. This amazing legend has earned the right to critique this unbelievably great program whether I agree or not. It's no big deal - but she makes it fun even if I disagree to talk about during game or after. So you keep going Rebecca. I'm a fan --you make things interesting!

Reaction Score
I love Rebecca and I love her announcing. She is good at it. I also like Carolyn Peck and Kara and Beth Mowins and Nell Fortner. I do not like some man I heard last month who did not identify players correctly - but I do not remember his name! No prejudice against men though - I love Van Chancellor as an announcer.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
As much as we might like it, Rebecca cannot be a UConn cheerleader anymore than Kara can be a Tennessee cheerleader. They have real jobs now and are broadcast nationally.

Reaction Score
I am surprised that two names did not surface in this thread: Beth Mowins and Doris Burke.

Doris seems to be AWOL from wcbb lately. Is she doing men's games or what?

Rebecca was paired with Beth, whom I consider to be the very best play-by-play announcer in wcbb and I thought she was superb last night and Sunday.

As for Carolyn Peck, I love it when she describes the definsive pressure being applied for/by Tinnisee; throughout her commints, she manages to convert soft e's into i's in a charming way. I can't bring myself to dislike her. Or, for that matter, Dee Kantner as a ref.

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01