Not A Fan Of Rebecca Doing Games | The Boneyard

Not A Fan Of Rebecca Doing Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know about anyone else but I'm not a fan of Rebecca's calling games. It gives her too much of a forum to express opinions, some of which I don't think are UConn friendly. When Stef was called for a moving screen, Lobo basically said that she's lucky not to get that call a lot because she in fact frequently moves setting screens. I think a remark like that could set Stef up to get additional scrutiny in the tournament and wouldn't that be something if Stef got in serious foul trouble as a result, in a close game. She made a couple of other remarks that were similarly troublesome though my senior brain is having a freeze at the moment. I like her in the studio with Kara Lawson or on the sidelines but definitely behind the mike during a game. I guess she was called on because there were so many games over the last week and game announcers were spread pretty thin. I hope not to see her again anytime soon.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Yawn.

If officials don't know that Stef moves on screens, they haven't been listening to us fans for the last four years. Or Meghan. Or Geno. Or watching game tape...

And, oddly enough, Rebecca's not under contract to UConn. She's under contract to ESPN and is supposed to call women's basketball games, not avoid noticing the obvious and then ignoring it...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Lobo has good commentary but has a monotone delivery. But I'll take a knowledgable commentator over a commentator with good delivery only any day.

That lady that did the SEC games with Peck was horrible.

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
I do think that "B" overcompensates to avoid the appearance as a UCONN homer.

I feel the same way Blue. It's human nature and understandable. She's better doing sideline analysis for UConn games.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
She seems pretty objective when calling games, but I wonder if she could continue that same objectivity if UConn got themselves into a nail biter

Reaction Score
I don't know about anyone else but I'm not a fan of Rebecca's calling games. It gives her too much of a forum to express opinions, some of which I don't think are UConn friendly. When Stef was called for a moving screen, Lobo basically said that she's lucky not to get that call a lot because she in fact frequently moves setting screens. I think a remark like that could set Stef up to get additional scrutiny in the tournament and wouldn't that be something if Stef got in serious foul trouble as a result, in a close game. She made a couple of other remarks that were similarly troublesome though my senior brain is having a freeze at the moment. I like her in the studio with Kara Lawson or on the sidelines but definitely behind the mike during a game. I guess she was called on because there were so many games over the last week and game announcers were spread pretty thin. I hope not to see her again anytime soon.

So you don't like her doing UConn games because her opinions might tip off the referees who will do the tournament games that Stef sometimes sets moving screens? Interesting, very interesting!!!

Reaction Score
My favorite announcers are Kara, Rebecca and Jay Bilas. When in doubt, they are tough on their alma maters and their content is great. I like that. As opposed to Peck, who always has a soft spot for Tennessee, which feels less professional to me.

Reaction Score
Too much yaking ,instead of calling the game!!!!!

Unfortunately, it seems to be true of all the announcers and analysts. They were more interested in what the seedings for the NCAA were going to be than the game they were supposed to be calling. They talked over the game a number of times. The fault is more the announcer rather than the analyst. She/he always starts the non game commentary. Kara Lawson is the only one who doesn't do this and she is almost always in the studio.

Rebecca is one of the better analysts and she is supposed to call moving screens regardless of which team is doing it. She is an ESPN announcer and not a UConn cheerleader!!!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I am surprised that two names did not surface in this thread: Beth Mowins and Doris Burke.

Doris seems to be AWOL from wcbb lately. Is she doing men's games or what?

Rebecca was paired with Beth, whom I consider to be the very best play-by-play announcer in wcbb and I thought she was superb last night and Sunday.

As for Carolyn Peck, I love it when she describes the definsive pressure being applied for/by Tinnisee; throughout her commints, she manages to convert soft e's into i's in a charming way. I can't bring myself to dislike her. Or, for that matter, Dee Kantner as a ref.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I really needed a "Dislike" button for the original post. Since when is objectivity a negative? Since when should an ESPN announcer be concerned with the effect of her commentary on tournament referees?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Here ya go Joe...

images

Reaction Score
To noone in particular--So don't get your shorts in a crunch- Why so many comments on calling the game when it is TV Beth-Doris, Rebecca give good and knowledgeable information
and some sidebar as well. that's what they are paid to do. do we need Hartley passes to Mojo to Stef back out to K ? Who just came into the game - watch

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Lobo is boring. She's worked hard at the job but she's not a natural and it shows. The woman who did the ESPN3 game was much better.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
"Herman" in the 60's pop group Herman's Hermits.

The 60's were really good. I guess I forgot that part of my life.

As a famous person once said, anyone who has memories of the 60's really didn't live it.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I have a blind loyal view of Lobo, so everthing she sez is gold to me. I totally lack objectivity here, and I really like that state of mind, in this case. Just sayin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom