Northwestern Scouting Report | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Northwestern Scouting Report

Reaction Score
I'd like to see more Diarra defending the ball. Castle and him can lock it down and DC owning the middle on both ends.

Reaction Score
Northwestern (22-11)
#39 in KenPom
56th in D1 experience

80th in minutes continuity (52.9%)

33rd in Offensive efficiency
  • 7th in turnover prevention
  • 7th w/ a 39.3 3P%; median in 3PA/FGA (36.7%)
    • However, less threes w/ Ty Berry out for year (2.4 3PM; 43.3 3P%)
    • Shot just 32% last season
  • 17th in A/FGM ratio (60%)
  • 74th w/ a 74.8 FT%; but just 267th in FT rate
  • 282nd in offensive rebounding rate
  • 328th in offensive tempo (18.9 seconds/possession)

55th in Defensive efficiency
  • 59th in FT rate
  • 129th defensive rebounding rate
  • 180th in opp. 2P% (50.5%)
  • 186th in 3PA/FGA (37.2%); 272nd in opp. 3P% (35.2%)
  • 309th in defensive tempo (18.1 seconds/possession)
  • 314th in FT rare prevention
  • 338th in A/FGM prevention (58.3%)

BIG TEN CONFERENCE STATS PER-GAME

View attachment 98093

KEY INJURIES

Ty Berry 6’3 185 senior (Knee; out since Feb 7th)
  • 11.3p, 1.3s, 43.3 3P%

Matt Nicholson 7’0 280 senior (Foot)
  • 5.3p, 4.3r, 1.4b, 22.3 mpg
  • 2-3 record since injury on March 2nd

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP:

Boo Buie 6’2 180, fifth-year returnee

Ryan Langborg 6’4 195 grad transfer from Princeton

Nick Martinelli 6’7 200 sophomore
  • Joined starting lineup following Berry’s injury

Brooks Barnhizer 6’6 215 junior

Luke Hunger 6’10 255 sophomore
  • Joined starting lineup following Nicholson’s injury

FREQUENTLY USED BENCH PIECES - 24.6% minutes (301st in nation)

Blake Smith 6’6 175 sophomore walk-on

Blake Preston 6’9 240 grad transfer from Liberty

View attachment 98094

I’ve gotta give Northwestern head coach Chris Collins credit: the Wildcats have been a Big Ten doormat for nearly a century, but, despite the lofty academic prerequisites for recruits, Collins has recently led the Wildcats through its best stretch, earning two-straight NCAA tournament bids after reaching its first berth ever in 2017.

Throughout his eleven season tenure, Northwestern has been consistent in their style on both ends. On offense, the signature is slow-paced, mistake-limiting ball movement where all five guys are expected to pass well. On defense, Collins likes to grind down defenses and force isolation shot attempts of poor quality. Overall, Northwestern is a slow-paced team that, like what we saw against Florida Atlantic, is much more comfortable keeping the score in the 60s.

Northwestern’s success on the floor revolves around Big Ten First Team selection Boo Buie. The fifth-year returnee has always had an alpha-dynamism to his game and in his final season he made massive leaps in his three-point shooting (44.1% this season vs 32.6% across his first four seasons) to go along with his ability to create off the dribble. Whenever Northwestern needs a big shot, he’s the guy.

Big Ten Third Team and All-Defensive team selection Brooks Barnhizer is Northwestern’s best all-around performer. The 6’6 215 junior can do a little bit of everything on offense, but his bread and butter is penetrating inside and pulling up from mid-range. With length and strength, Barnhizer can defend the 1-through-4 with ease and is an excellent defensive rebounder and willing harasser on defense who possesses the team’s highest turnover rates.

Princeton grad transfer Ryan Langborg reminds me a lot of Cam Spencer on offense in the way he is constantly moving without the ball and his incredibly pretty three-point stroke. Langborg has been a one-year fill-in after Chase Audige graduated, who was one of the best perimeter defenders in the country, but Langborg’s D pales in comparison.

Speaking of defense, while Barnhizer is exceptional, the interior defense has taken a hit since starting center Matthew Nicholson got injured. The seven-footer was a physical defender and the team’s best rim protector. In his place, sophomore Luke Hunger and Liberty grad transfer Blake Preston have shared the center rotation with Hunger as the starter. Like Nicholson, don’t expect much on offense, but neither have the defensive capabilities and size of Nicholson, but both are very good rebounders. Expect a lot of scrap on each guy while Hunger isn’t afraid to let it rip from three.

Once Ty Berry was out for the year, sophomore Nick Martinelli joined the starting lineup. At 6’7, he brings more size to the startling lineup, but considering that only 19% of his shot attempts are from three, his lack of spacing provides less space for Buie and Barnhizer to create inside. An efficient, low-usage forward whose best attribute is offensive rebounding has allowed Collins to play with some small-ball rotations w/ Barnhizer at the 5, Martinelli at the 4 and walk-on sophomore Blake Smith at the 3.

Speaking of Smith, he went from a DNP to a regular bench piece in short order once Berry was on the mend. At 6’6 175, Smith is a high-energy, versatile defender and capable offensive rebounder for his size. He’s only shot the ball nine times from the field in the last eight games, so he’s as low-usage as you can get on offense.

In summary, with Northwestern’s recent injuries, they’ve hunkered down to an even slower, grittier style of play with their offensive focus orbiting around Buie, Barnhizer and Langborg. Northwestern is an unselfish, well-coached and disciplined team but does not match the talent and depth of the Huskies. Faced with injuries, Smith and Preston have stepped up, but the reality is that they play just five guys who have been in the rotation all season.
You forgot to mention Barnhizer (at least in the first game) took a couple of cheap shots he got away with.....is that why his defense is exceptional?

Reaction Score
Their drama program was like a who's who from Hollywood. Far too many to name but among others:

Charlton Heston, Jennifer Jones, Tony Randall, Cloris Leachman, Patricia Neal, McLean Stevenson and hundreds of others who were famous, somewhat famous or little known in moves, television and theater.
Good thing this isn't an acting contest.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Good thing this isn't an acting contest.
Hey, UConn had Ron Palillo, the unforgettable Horshack from Welcome Back Cotter. Take that Julis Louis Dreyfus

Reaction Score
Anne Margaret is one of those women who get better looking for 40 consecutive years. Just amazing. The only other one like her I can think of is Cindy Crawford. Sorry to high jack the thread but you had me at Anne Margaret.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Stop Boo and this should be a runaway once again. Easier said than done of course, he's one of those 'made for march' guards.

Reaction Score
The first game Northwestern won vs. Quad 1 this season on a neutral court was yesterday. All their Quad 1 wins (4) were at home up until then.

Their best away win was against Maryland.

They lost to #296 Chicago State. At home. That definitely offsets beating Purdue at home.

I think there is a lot of looking for drama where there isn’t any. This is a bubble team who had a profile very similar to Seton Hall.

Reaction Score

Let our team see this video, especially Tristan Newton. We dont play till tomorrow night give us another chip on our shoulder underestimating our toughness.

Reaction Score
Our defense tries to get guys out of their stuff and begs them to take tough iso shots. I can't think of many players in the country better at making tough iso shots than Boo Buie

Mr. Buie, meet Mr. Castle. I feel good if Castle can be the primary defender on Buie more often than not. Newton, while not a great individual defender, has size that could make him tough to shoot over. And if something happens to take either of those guys out of the game, in comes Hassan Diarra

If Buie or Barnhizer pop off, this could be a tough game. If we play to our identity and force them to play how we want them to, I feel pretty good. Vegas agrees at -14.5 (wow). Let's go Huskies!
Just a guess. I bet Kimani, Luke, Tom, and maybe even Dan, have a game plan. We have the horses. And I bet they have something bottled up from yesterday. Beware NW.

Reaction Score

Let our team see this video, especially Tristan Newton. We dont play till tomorrow night give us another chip on our shoulder underestimating our toughness.

Sleepers this season has alternated between hating on us because they're B1G guys so favoring Purdue, and then eventually realizing we were way better. But now they are back to trolling us, this time just for views

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I never knew Buie was Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Steph Curry rolled into one. How did Edey ever win player of the year?

I know they're supposed to be homers and admitted it but seriously, they can complain all they want about others not having seen Northwestern but they obviously haven't seen us.

Reaction Score
If they had berry and nicholson, they could compete. I don't how Collins keeps this close.

Reaction Score
Watching video on Boo it looks like they like to rub guys off with screens until they get a mismatch.. then iso Boo to go one on one.. he’s got some pretty good moves

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
Watching a bit of yesterday’s game, they look smart & skilled. Smaller & significantly less athletic than our guys. My ten cents is NW keeps it close until the 10 minute mark or so & we pull away. I can see their defense getting shredded as the game goes on & us out-rebounding them considerably.

Reaction Score
Interesting...

They also are among the worst in the country at conceding “kill shots” (10-0 run or more). And they are also terrible at generating kill shots. Meanwhile, we’re obviously elite

Reaction Score
We win this game going away in the 2nd half, 20+ points. We'll grind in the 1st half, make adjustments and wear them down by the 15-minute mark in the 2nd half. Go on a 10-point run. Classic Hurley game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom