Northwestern Scouting Report | The Boneyard

Northwestern Scouting Report

Reaction Score
They took Purdue to OT twice and are a good — not great — team capable of playing a very good game. if we played a 7 game series, we would win. But they are good enough that you can’t take beating them for one game for granted.

Plus, the last two defending national champs lost in the round of 32. Survive and advance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We need to be disciplined on D and rebound the hell out of the ball, and cut down on turnovers, only 7 turnovers yesterday good to see but it needs to continue.

Reaction Score
Northwestern plays 7 players. 1 of which is a former walk-on. They score a lot from 3. They play slow and foul a ton. Not a lot of size, they'll play two guys taller than 6'10. Perimeter defense is important this game. I think we will see a fair amount of a Hass/Newton/Castle/Cam/Karaban lineup. Anyone can beat us but it shouldn't be Northwestern.

Reaction Score
And 3 of them played over 40 minutes yesterday.

Put Castle on Buie and we should be able to take care of business.

The risk here is that they shoot like 15-32 from 3 and keep up with our offense, which itself shouldn't have a problem unless we ourselves shoot like 6-26.

Basically, we would need to give up a net of 25-30 at the 3 point line to be threatened.

Reaction Score
Two of their starters are out with injury; Nichols 7’0” center and Berry 6’3” guard.
In their last OT game against Purdue both of them played. Nichols had 4 pts and Berry 25.
Interestingly, Purdue had 38 more FTs than NW in that game yet NW was good enough to take Purdue into OT.

Those two players out helps UConn, but NW must be regarded as a dangerous team. I’m viewing them as very similar in style of play and talent as a top Ivy League team; which will prepare us well for Yale if that happens (doomed!).

Reaction Score
Northwestern (22-11)
#39 in KenPom
56th in D1 experience

80th in minutes continuity (52.9%)

33rd in Offensive efficiency
  • 7th in turnover prevention
  • 7th w/ a 39.3 3P%; median in 3PA/FGA (36.7%)
    • However, less threes w/ Ty Berry out for year (2.4 3PM; 43.3 3P%)
    • Shot just 32% last season
  • 17th in A/FGM ratio (60%)
  • 74th w/ a 74.8 FT%; but just 267th in FT rate
  • 282nd in offensive rebounding rate
  • 328th in offensive tempo (18.9 seconds/possession)

55th in Defensive efficiency
  • 59th in FT rate
  • 129th defensive rebounding rate
  • 180th in opp. 2P% (50.5%)
  • 186th in 3PA/FGA (37.2%); 272nd in opp. 3P% (35.2%)
  • 309th in defensive tempo (18.1 seconds/possession)
  • 314th in FT rare prevention
  • 338th in A/FGM prevention (58.3%)

BIG TEN CONFERENCE STATS PER-GAME

Screen Shot 2024-03-23 at 8.49.05 AM.jpg

KEY INJURIES

Ty Berry 6’3 185 senior (Knee; out since Feb 7th)
  • 11.3p, 1.3s, 43.3 3P%

Matt Nicholson 7’0 280 senior (Foot)
  • 5.3p, 4.3r, 1.4b, 22.3 mpg
  • 2-3 record since injury on March 2nd

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP:

Boo Buie 6’2 180, fifth-year returnee

Ryan Langborg 6’4 195 grad transfer from Princeton

Nick Martinelli 6’7 200 sophomore
  • Joined starting lineup following Berry’s injury

Brooks Barnhizer 6’6 215 junior

Luke Hunger 6’10 255 sophomore
  • Joined starting lineup following Nicholson’s injury

FREQUENTLY USED BENCH PIECES - 24.6% minutes (301st in nation)

Blake Smith 6’6 175 sophomore walk-on

Blake Preston 6’9 240 grad transfer from Liberty

Screen Shot 2024-03-23 at 8.47.59 AM.jpg

I’ve gotta give Northwestern head coach Chris Collins credit: the Wildcats have been a Big Ten doormat for nearly a century, but, despite the lofty academic prerequisites for recruits, Collins has recently led the Wildcats through its best stretch, earning two-straight NCAA tournament bids after reaching its first berth ever in 2017.

Throughout his eleven season tenure, Northwestern has been consistent in their style on both ends. On offense, the signature is slow-paced, mistake-limiting ball movement where all five guys are expected to pass well. On defense, Collins likes to grind down defenses and force isolation shot attempts of poor quality. Overall, Northwestern is a slow-paced team that, like what we saw against Florida Atlantic, is much more comfortable keeping the score in the 60s.

Northwestern’s success on the floor revolves around Big Ten First Team selection Boo Buie. The fifth-year returnee has always had an alpha-dynamism to his game and in his final season he made massive leaps in his three-point shooting (44.1% this season vs 32.6% across his first four seasons) to go along with his ability to create off the dribble. Whenever Northwestern needs a big shot, he’s the guy.

Big Ten Third Team and All-Defensive team selection Brooks Barnhizer is Northwestern’s best all-around performer. The 6’6 215 junior can do a little bit of everything on offense, but his bread and butter is penetrating inside and pulling up from mid-range. With length and strength, Barnhizer can defend the 1-through-4 with ease and is an excellent defensive rebounder and willing harasser on defense who possesses the team’s highest turnover rates.

Princeton grad transfer Ryan Langborg reminds me a lot of Cam Spencer on offense in the way he is constantly moving without the ball and his incredibly pretty three-point stroke. Langborg has been a one-year fill-in after Chase Audige graduated, who was one of the best perimeter defenders in the country, but Langborg’s D pales in comparison.

Speaking of defense, while Barnhizer is exceptional, the interior defense has taken a hit since starting center Matthew Nicholson got injured. The seven-footer was a physical defender and the team’s best rim protector. In his place, sophomore Luke Hunger and Liberty grad transfer Blake Preston have shared the center rotation with Hunger as the starter. Like Nicholson, don’t expect much on offense, but neither have the defensive capabilities and size of Nicholson, but both are very good rebounders. Expect a lot of scrap on each guy while Hunger isn’t afraid to let it rip from three.

Once Ty Berry was out for the year, sophomore Nick Martinelli joined the starting lineup. At 6’7, he brings more size to the startling lineup, but considering that only 19% of his shot attempts are from three, his lack of spacing provides less space for Buie and Barnhizer to create inside. An efficient, low-usage forward whose best attribute is offensive rebounding has allowed Collins to play with some small-ball rotations w/ Barnhizer at the 5, Martinelli at the 4 and walk-on sophomore Blake Smith at the 3.

Speaking of Smith, he went from a DNP to a regular bench piece in short order once Berry was on the mend. At 6’6 175, Smith is a high-energy, versatile defender and capable offensive rebounder for his size. He’s only shot the ball nine times from the field in the last eight games, so he’s as low-usage as you can get on offense.

In summary, with Northwestern’s recent injuries, they’ve hunkered down to an even slower, grittier style of play with their offensive focus orbiting around Buie, Barnhizer and Langborg. Northwestern is an unselfish, well-coached and disciplined team but does not match the talent and depth of the Huskies. Faced with injuries, Smith and Preston have stepped up, but the reality is that they play just five guys who have been in the rotation all season.

Reaction Score
Beat Purdue and played them to OT and lost the second time. Not a team to sleep on. Need to key on Boo Buie and play defense for the entire shot clock.
That was with Berry and Nicholson, who are their best players not named Boo Buie. Those guys are out for the tournament though

Reaction Score
I’m expecting a difficult 1st half, with UConn taking charge midway through the 2nd half. Similar to the Big East tourney games.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A few comments/questions:

• Not overly concerned with their ability to protect the ball as we really don’t rely heavily on turnovers to defend.
  • Also not overly concerned with their pace of play. Often this leads the opponent to shoot more quickly out of frustration of playing defense for an extended time and to increase the pace. We shouldn’t have any issues trading 28 second possessions and I would be amazed if anyone could execute better over an extended time frame in a game played like this.
  • I wonder how accomplished Langborg, Smith and Martinelli are as ballhandlers. If they’re dependent entirely on Buie I’m not sure they can last.
  • While their games against Purdue gave them an opponent who could keep four players defending the three point line at all times, have they faced a team that has a backcourt/wings with our length that has been able to defend the three point line with four players?
  • I’m curious as to how well they fare at offensive & defensive rebounding. If they can hang with us in rebounding, it could be a close game. If not, well….

Reaction Score
Sampson Johnson should have a big role in this game running the court and providing perimeter D is vital just grab rebounds doesn’t have to Rodman out there but needs to crash the glass and pick up good fouls so long as Clingan isn’t in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Our defense tries to get guys out of their stuff and begs them to take tough iso shots. I can't think of many players in the country better at making tough iso shots than Boo Buie

Mr. Buie, meet Mr. Castle. I feel good if Castle can be the primary defender on Buie more often than not. Newton, while not a great individual defender, has size that could make him tough to shoot over. And if something happens to take either of those guys out of the game, in comes Hassan Diarra

If Buie or Barnhizer pop off, this could be a tough game. If we play to our identity and force them to play how we want them to, I feel pretty good. Vegas agrees at -14.5 (wow). Let's go Huskies!

Reaction Score
My son too. You never heard of him but the entertainment industry has. Lots of celebs. Julia Louis Dreyfus, Warren Beatty, Steven Colbert, Hugh Hefner among many. Not so famous for their hoops.
Evan Eschmeyer?

Reaction Score
They have no depth. I think we wear them down on the offensive end with all of our motion. Rotate guys on Buie. And ATTACK him on defense. He knows he can't get in foul trouble.
Newton, Cam, Diarra, and Castle can all take him off the dribble. And all are very good passers.

I wasn't really worried about either team (NW or FAU), but FAU is a feast or famine team, and they might go off on you. Northwestern is much more a team you know what you're getting. You don't want to take them lightly, but they're a lot like St. Mary's last year: play your game and you'll wear them down.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My son too. You never heard of him but the entertainment industry has. Lots of celebs. Julia Louis Dreyfus, Warren Beatty, Steven Colbert, Hugh Hefner among many. Not so famous for their hoops.

Their drama program was like a who's who from Hollywood. Far too many to name but among others:

Charlton Heston, Jennifer Jones, Tony Randall, Cloris Leachman, Patricia Neal, McLean Stevenson and hundreds of others who were famous, somewhat famous or little known in moves, television and theater.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Conventional wisdom would say Castle draws the Bouie assignment.

But then does that put Newton on Barhizer and Karaban on Martinelli?

That should be a good match-up for Karaban, but the Newton match-up concerns me.

I wonder if they would try Newton on Bouie and Castle on Barnhizer…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom