Northwestern Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Northwestern Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
On the other hand, we proved we can beat really good teams even if we can't make a three to save our lives
Suffocating defense and crisp offense will beat lots of teams. Hitting the 3 opens up the offense though. Guys did show they don't need to hit them to score. Alex isn't just sitting out on the perimeter he constantly moving and cutting and has added the drive. Steph getting into lane and finishing same with Tristan.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Apparently he told them to start missing shots.

He made it harder to get makes. They started running more clock and more deliberate sets, and attacked less unless they were near the end of the shot clock, so yeah, their shooting percentage is going to go down. Hurley was up 28 points, so what did he care? He wanted the game over without anyone getting hurt. He accomplished that objective.

Reaction Score
We had a 5 minute cold spell
So pre-game, a bunch of folks on the NU board were convinced UConn had not seen a physical defense like there’s and it would cause UConn problems.

1711335271140.gif

Link please?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Quite a hot take here about NU. Who would you have in over them?

Pretty much any other bubble team once I found out about their key injury. Giving a Big 10 team with mediocre metrics a bid because of one great win, even though that team would be missing a key player for the tournament was conference welfare.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
Only complaint today is the outside shooting, 3-22 is just plain awful, but we still ended up winning by 17 which shows how dominant this team truly is.
I think the 81.2% (26-32) 2FG offset that just fine.

Reaction Score
The story of the Newton post game towel continues. Tonight after the game Steph came over and signed the towel and the Danny came over to sign the towel as well.

I am not certain but there could be power in the positive posts. What are the chances Hurley picks my son out of the 50 kids that were asking, he chooses my son and one other. I just feel compelled to thank the BY.

Other than that as a dad who hears his 15yr old son say best trip ever I am beyond words.

Towel pic below:

View attachment 98183
You and your son have this beautiful memory and keepsake the rest of your lives unless of course it finds its way to EBAY. just kidding!

Reaction Score
We stopped running offense for a long stretch. Made a lot of circus layups, but I wasn’t real happy with the execution in the 2nd half. Shooting was terrible but stopped trying to run our usual stuff, which is more concerning. Props to Northwestern, knew they wouldn’t stay cold.
So sorry that “you” weren’t happy with execution in the second half. After you are done ripping them all new ones, get those lazy duck__ks running some lines in practice. You’ll have them ready!!

Reaction Score
I understand that a win is a win at this point, but you need to have every edge that you can get to win it all...

We've shown upcoming better teams twice now that we're capable of letting our foot off the gas with a lead in the 2nd half. And also that we can go dead-arse ice cold for long stretches.

That's hope for a team that may be desperately trying to come back from a big deficit. We want teams to be deflated and hopeless when we stretch the lead to 15-20 pts.

Nitpicky rant, but need to strive for 40min of perfection. Tough to get it, but need to try!
Correct. This is where Hawkins was huge for us he was a sniper and the opposing team had to play tough defense on him because he could catch and shoot. We don’t have that this year. We have Spencer and Karaban more spot up shooters. Castle needs to improve his shot because he will have space given how senses fear his ability to penetrate and use his strength.

Reaction Score
We stopped running offense for a long stretch. Made a lot of circus layups, but I wasn’t real happy with the execution in the 2nd half. Shooting was terrible but stopped trying to run our usual stuff, which is more concerning. Props to Northwestern, knew they wouldn’t stay cold.

We did NOT stop running the offense. We went cold. We turned the ball over. And they got hot. Hell, Newton even missed the front end of a one and one.

On to Boston.

Reaction Score
So pre-game, a bunch of folks on the NU board were convinced UConn had not seen a physical defense like there’s and it would cause UConn problems.

Fast forward and now there are a bunch complaining the refs let UConn play too physical.

Gotta love internet message boards.
They were absolutely wrong. UConn had seen a physical defense just like NU's. Ironically enough, DePaul is also in Chicago.

Reaction Score
Pretty good take from an NU fan.

Shelled out a heck of a lot of money to watch a blowout so might as well get my money’s worth and post my thoughts from up close.
— UConn’s guards were absolutely dialed in to disrupting Boo. I’ve rarely seen such consistent intensity from any team. It’s like they were challenged to completely neutralize him… and they did. Unfortunate for this to be his final game in purple.
— Clingan is next-level. More dynamic than Edey, though without the same level of touch around the rim. I thought CCC’s approach to attack him early was interesting but ultimately didn’t work.
— Barnhizer being injured makes sense. He was visibly gimpy. That said he clearly was able to make shots in the second half, which actually makes his first half somehow more brutal.
— Langborg should have had his number called more. Dude is automatic and I’ll miss his sweet stroke and confidence next year. That said UConn is just long and fast and clearly made it a priority to take him out of the game.
— Something no one is talking about: UConn was a fairly miserable 3-of-22 from 3. Can you imagine if they had even an average night? Scary.
— I’ve said this in another thread but don’t blame the refs. Did they let them play? Of course. But that’s the deal if you get down 40-18 at the half.
— Great NU turnout. On to reloading next year and not getting the 8-9 line. GO CATS.

Reaction Score

Fast forward and now there are a bunch complaining the refs let UConn play too physical.

Gotta love internet message boards.
They were very dirty, I mean physical. Lots if body checks.

Reaction Score
We did NOT stop running the offense. We went cold. We turned the ball over. And they got hot. Hell, Newton even missed the front end of a one and one.

On to Boston.
Disagree - we stopped running our regular motion oriented sets. Actually we did the same thing against Stetson. I think they don't want to aid in future opponents scouting us. In Hurley I trust.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom