North Caroline will hire.... | The Boneyard

North Caroline will hire....

Reaction Score
Great selection. UNC will be back in the top 20 within 3 years if not sooner.
Would agree, great selection, and one better....UNC will be back in the top 10 within 3 years if not sooner.:cool:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Courtney Banghart to replace Hatchell….according to the link above.

Thanks Blakeon18....the story is on Princeton's athletic website, as well, so this is a done deal.
Shouldn't this thread be posted in the General Women's Basketball thread? With all due respect, it strikes me as the proper place that it should be posted based on what Huskynan has been advising. I know we're still in an adjustment phase, but don't see a direct UConn connection here. Now if Shea Ralph had been offered/taken/gotten the job, that's another thing....;)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Like many, I think this is a good hire for UNC, but there are some initial challenges:
- The level of competition is going to be notably raised for Banghart from the Ivy League. Yes, Courtney, that's Notre Dame and Louisville every season. And Miami and Clemson are pretty darn good, too.
- Will she adjust her recruiting accordingly? This is one of those finely balanced equations. On one hand, one might say Banghart is somewhat hindered by Princeton's high academic standards. On the other hand, playing hoops does not preclude being good in the classroom and Banghart found a lot of those athletes, most whom are usually book- and court-smart and technically proficient. Plus she still manages to get some pretty good athletes there: seen Bella Alarie? Grace Stone?
On the other hand, if she can expand her core base on that kind of athlete and go after kids that like the UNC brand and get some ballers, this could be a team to watch. Quickly. And, as brought up, she could further challenge Duke, Notre Dame and UVA for a certain kind of student athlete.
- In any case, Banghart will have brooding, intense center Janelle Bailey and Malu Dikembe Mutombo, the 6'3" center from St. John's, is coming aboard as a frosh. So, she'll have the paint anchored and can build inside out.
Not a bad way to start.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thanks Blakeon18....the story is on Princeton's athletic website, as well, so this is a done deal.
Shouldn't this thread be posted in the General Women's Basketball thread? With all due respect, it strikes me as the proper place that it should be posted based on what Huskynan has been advising. I know we're still in an adjustment phase, but don't see a direct UConn connection here. Now if Shea Ralph had been offered/taken/gotten the job, that's another thing....;)
In the off season, the definition of OT and/or general sort of blur. We’ve always allowed more OT off season. Otherwise there just isn’t much to talk about

Reaction Score
Like many, I think this is a good hire for UNC, but there are some initial challenges:
- The level of competition is going to be notably raised for Banghart from the Ivy League. Yes, Courtney, that's Notre Dame and Louisville every season. And Miami and Clemson are pretty darn good, too.
- Will she adjust her recruiting accordingly? This is one of those finely balanced equations. On one hand, one might say Banghart is somewhat hindered by Princeton's high academic standards. On the other hand, playing hoops does not preclude being good in the classroom and Banghart found a lot of those athletes, most whom are usually book- and court-smart and technically proficient. Plus she still manages to get some pretty good athletes there: seen Bella Alarie? Grace Stone?
On the other hand, if she can expand her core base on that kind of athlete and go after kids that like the UNC brand and get some ballers, this could be a team to watch. Quickly. And, as brought up, she could further challenge Duke, Notre Dame and UVA for a certain kind of student athlete.
- In any case, Banghart will have brooding, intense center Janelle Bailey and Malu Dikembe Mutombo, the 6'3" center from St. John's, is coming aboard as a frosh. So, she'll have the paint anchored and can build inside out.
Not a bad way to start.

Reaction Score
You are missing the most important point: Banghart can now offer scholarships at NC whereas at Princeton she couldn't. This is a HUGE difference for recruiting and building a program, eh?

Reaction Score
As a Yale alum who has had to watch Banghart's teams dominate the Ivy League, I'd say she's an excellent recruiter. The biggest hindrance she'll face from Princeton's academic standard going forward is that Bella Alarie is going to stay and graduate rather than follow her coach.

Reaction Score
Why didn’t Sylvia Crawley get the job? Someone fill me in.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Why didn’t Sylvia Crawley get the job? Someone fill me in.

North Carolina has put its women’s basketball coaching staff on paid administrative leave amid an investigation into “issues raised by student-athletes and others,” the school announced Monday in a news release.

Sylvia Crawley was an assistant coach. UNC was not going to hire an assistant coach (who had a pretty subpar record in her head coaching gig at Boston College) who was just put on leave to replace the head coach who just "resigned" after the results o the investigation.

Now, it is possible you meant to say Charlotte Smith, former UNC player and head coach at Elon. Smith played for Hatchell, was an assistant coach for Hatchell for a number of years, and was considered a top candidate to replace her.

• It is possible that the university wanted to go in a different direction (not from the Hatchell playing/coaching tree).
  • It is possible that Smith did not want to replace her coach and former mentor ore felt uncomfortable doing so.
  • It is possible that UNC viewed the Ivy League (mid-major) is less of a step up to UNC than Elon (low-major).
  • It is possible that Banghart was viewed as a better tactician with a much better and consistent overall record.
  • It is possible that financial considerations came into play.

Lots of speculation right now. Will be curious to see if any of the details emerge from our sources. ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I look forward to raining down boos in her general direction during her first trip to Cameron indoor. Might even yell out "this ain't Ithaca" as Duke is delivering a good ol fashioned tail whipping of those tar heels.

That being said... This thread will be buried deep in the by archives if the tables turn next winter

Reaction Score
North Carolina has put its women’s basketball coaching staff on paid administrative leave amid an investigation into “issues raised by student-athletes and others,” the school announced Monday in a news release.

Sylvia Crawley was an assistant coach. UNC was not going to hire an assistant coach (who had a pretty subpar record in her head coaching gig at Boston College) who was just put on leave to replace the head coach who just "resigned" after the results o the investigation.

Now, it is possible you meant to say Charlotte Smith, former UNC player and head coach at Elon. Smith played for Hatchell, was an assistant coach for Hatchell for a number of years, and was considered a top candidate to replace her.

• It is possible that the university wanted to go in a different direction (not from the Hatchell playing/coaching tree).
  • It is possible that Smith did not want to replace her coach and former mentor ore felt uncomfortable doing so.
  • It is possible that UNC viewed the Ivy League (mid-major) is less of a step up to UNC than Elon (low-major).
  • It is possible that Banghart was viewed as a better tactician with a much better and consistent overall record.
  • It is possible that financial considerations came into play.

Lots of speculation right now. Will be curious to see if any of the details emerge from our sources. ;)
Was it Sylvia Crawley or Charlotte Smith that was appointed as their heir apparent by a lot of ppl?

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
You are missing the most important point: Banghart can now offer scholarships at NC whereas at Princeton she couldn't. This is a HUGE difference for recruiting and building a program, eh?

Actually, I'm not ..."scholarships" come in the form of different packages at many Ivy League schools, as many soccer, lacrosse, crew, fencing and basketball college athletes attending Ivies from my town can attest. At NC, it will just be called an athletic scholarship.

In fact, it was Princeton that was known for using the model of finding creative ways to get "student athletes" who excelled at certain sports into the general populace. Yes, while some athletes who are fiscally well off don't get financial stipends per se, many others do. The large endowments that many Ivy League schools have are often used to supply financial aid to students in the form of non-repayable grants. Those can be considered the equivalent of a scholarship for many student athletes.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
In the off season, the definition of OT and/or general sort of blur. We’ve always allowed more OT off season. Otherwise there just isn’t much to talk about

Thanks for explanation. You're keeping me alert here....Glad my balance is still pretty good :D

Reaction Score
I look forward to raining down boos in her general direction during her first trip to Cameron indoor. Might even yell out "this ain't Ithaca" as Duke is delivering a good ol fashioned tail whipping of those tar heels.

That being said... This thread will be buried deep in the by archives if the tables turn next winter

Be careful what you ask for! Unless Duke retools itself, I don’t think your scenario will last long! Banghart will be beating Duke before too long!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I will remember this thread and this comment, and I will revive it :)

Now, you're peering into a Dookie's "Heart of Darkness."
"The horror, the horror."
:rolleyes: :)

Reaction Score
Charlotte Smith. Crawley and the rest of the assistant coaches that were put administrative leave were relieved of their duties today.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see who she picks as assistant coaches

I will remember this thread and this comment, and I will revive it :)

:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom