North Carolina and Virginia may have Big Ten offers | Page 4 | The Boneyard

North Carolina and Virginia may have Big Ten offers

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
My gut feeling - this is a ploy by Delaney to try to get Notre Dame to freak the duck* out, call up the Big Ten offices and #BegHarder to get in before they reach 16. If ND falls for it they go with either UVa or GT, I think UNC will stay put.

Reaction Score
Tweet from 1 minute ago:

Greg Swaim Show@GSwaim
Strong talk that #SEC wants to move to 16, and expand footprint north by getting #VT and #UNC.no timetable given, but may be shortly.

Reaction Score
Swaim is tweeting:

Greg Swaim Show@GSwaim
#Big12 won't add without more TV revenue per team, but that money will come with the "right teams". #FSU one of them. #Clemson may be other.

Greg Swaim Show@GSwaim
#ACC contingency plan to add #Cardnation, #Bearcats, and others, basically merging them and #BigEast.

Greg Swaim Show@GSwaim
"@irvinlaker: @GSwaim man on man. Do u think unc accepts a big to sec if offered?" // #UNC may also get #B1G offer.

Greg Swaim Show@GSwaim
#TarHeels leaving would destroy the #ACC, but odds of #UNC going to either #B1G or #SEC are definitely increasing.

Reaction Score
I cannot imagine that UNC would go to the SEC in my wildest dreams. The SEC is a partial academic horror show and UNC wouldn't win more than two conference games year, ever. Would they want to play SEC basketball either? The other Swaim musings are at least possible.

Reaction Score
Fran Fraschilla@franfraschilla
BREAKING: SEC accepts entire ACC into SEC to form 26-team league. Auburn and Alabama to play every eight years. 13 bowls games lined up.

Reaction Score
Swaim is tweeting:

Greg Swaim Show@GSwaim
#Big12 won't add without more TV revenue per team, but that money will come with the "right teams". #FSU one of them. #Clemson may be other.

Greg Swaim Show@GSwaim
#ACC contingency plan to add #Cardnation, #Bearcats, and others, basically merging them and #BigEast.

Greg Swaim Show@GSwaim
"@irvinlaker: @GSwaim man on man. Do u think unc accepts a big to sec if offered?" // #UNC may also get #B1G offer.

Greg Swaim Show@GSwaim
#TarHeels leaving would destroy the #ACC, but odds of #UNC going to either #B1G or #SEC are definitely increasing.

I'm done, if this happens I'm done with college sports. This is a real shame.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Isn't this the same UNC that conjured up fake classes for their student athletes? I have no idea why UNC gets a free pass from the NCAA and the court of public opinion, but UConn is smacked with prorated sanctions for academic scores that weren't in existence at the time they violated them.

On second thought, they would fit right in with the SEC.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I once thought that unc to the b1g was inevitable. Then I spoke to my cousin (unc alumn) at a family party about his alma mater joining osu, um and pus and he went off on the north. Essentially turned into the stereotypical southerner - and he is from ct. Then I paid attention to the message boards and realized that unc fans are very dukes of hazard. They stay in acc or move to sec...they definitely DO NOT join a predominently northern league.

Yes. And go look at the Big Ten boards. They do not want any southern schools. This has zero chance of happening. The B1G is done for now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yes. And go look at the Big Ten boards. They do not want any southern schools. This has zero chance of happening. The B1G is done for now.

No offense to anyone, but someone's cousin and a bunch of message board posters' opinion of a school are completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Reaction Score
No offense to anyone, but someone's cousin and a bunch of message board posters' opinion of a school are completely irrelevant to this discussion.
Yeah, and I'm sure their fans weren't huge fans of Rutgers, either, and how'd that work out for them?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Which means that this discussion is irrelevant to this discussion. Lighten up Francis.

Reaction Score
I find this sort of unlikely, although in this day and age, who the heck can be sure. he is the problem, though. why would the Big move in two pieces? If you're announcing an expansion, aren't you going to do it once and be done? Problem 2 is both UNC and Virginia have ugly step sisters, but ugly step sisters who have lots of political clout. there needs to be a soft landing for VaTech and NC State or both UNC and particularly Virginia have serious political problems. As we saw in the past, VaTech while not as shi-shi-foo-foo as Virginia, has a larger alumni base and a very large amount of clout. As someone else pointed out, same applies to NC State. And really does the SEC want to cooperate and take them? Or the B-12? Big 10 isn't doing it.

Reaction Score
Apologies if I have disturbed the unwritten rules of posting on this topic.

I don't pretend to know what will happen and there are a lot of variables at play that would make it difficult for even an industry expert to predict. Just providing a contrarian view. I see the logic in thinking that UNC would naturally gravitate to B1G - $$$ and academic prestige. I mentioned the story about my cousin only to point out a factor that I had completely discounted before - that UNC, it's alumni and the people of NC generally seem to identify themselves as southerners first. So much so that even people who move their from the north, and spend less than half of their lives there find themselves with a linen closet filled with "stars and bars" towels.

Would U Florida or U Georgia leave for the B1G if they were invited?

IF the ACC were to collapse I think the SEC would provide a more natural landing spot for UNC, despite the differences in academic rep. It seems the $$$ will be roughly the same, or at least close enough that it will not be the driving factor. Certainly not more of a factor than the football recruiting issues associated with being a southern school in a northern league. And IF that were to happen I am speculating that cultural issues would trump academic ones (note: two of the schools that UNC benchmarks itself against are U Florida and U Georgia). And with Vandy, and the addition of A&M and Mizzou, and whatever other school that the SEC would add with them, there now appears to be some semblance of academic rigor.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If I may speculate for a bit: I haven't lived in the south, only visited Asheville a couple days (and been to conventions in larger cities but that doesn't really tell you much). My naive impression was that North Carolinans might identify as Southerners first, but not as deep south as the SEC states (I'd guess Alabamans might consider Carolinians to be halfway to being yankees?). I mean... NC voted for Obama in '08, though it was the only state to flip to Romney in '12. So I'm guessing if they had to choose between B1G and SEC, they might actually take some time to decide. It might be that the student body / alunmi lean towards the SEC and the trustees / decision makers lean the other way (especially if they've spent part of their careers in the North or other parts of the country).

Reaction Score
There is a 0% chance the ACC collapses. There's too many quality athletic departments on the east coast to fill the limited available slots in the B1G and SEC, and the ACC has a powerful weapon in ESPN on its side.

All that will happen is that the ACC will fall to the fifth-best football conference in the country. But heck, they already are the fifth-best football conference in the country.

Reaction Score
Wait a minute. What tv market does UVA bring to the table? That's what this is all about right? Funny how the criteria seems to change for each school.

Reaction Score
If I may speculate for a bit: I haven't lived in the south, only visited Asheville a couple days (and been to conventions in larger cities but that doesn't really tell you much). My naive impression was that North Carolinans might identify as Southerners first, but not as deep south as the SEC states (I'd guess Alabamans might consider Carolinians to be halfway to being yankees?). I mean... NC voted for Obama in '08, though it was the only state to flip to Romney in '12. So I'm guessing if they had to choose between B1G and SEC, they might actually take some time to decide. It might be that the student body / alunmi lean towards the SEC and the trustees / decision makers lean the other way (especially if they've spent part of their careers in the North or other parts of the country).

Your speculation is wrong. I lived in DC, AL, MS, TN, FL for some short stints (2 months being the shortest and 1 yr being the longest) and from my experience once you get out of the NOVA (northern VA) it is deep south. Maybe not as deep south as Bama and Miss but the people, culture, etc all consider themselves southerners.

I am sure if you go visit UNC message boards the majority will be repeating they dont want to go to the B1G because it is a northern conference and they are southerners.

Reaction Score
Wait a minute. What tv market does UVA bring to the table? That's what this is all about right? Funny how the criteria seems to change for each school.

They would bring in VA and NOVA (not completely sure MD market reaches into NOVA).

NOVA is also the largest growing part of hte country population wise, I believe.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And pay fake professors and fake tutors for their fake classes.
And those fake classes need fake buildings to be not held in. I mean you can't just conjure that up out of thin air.

Reaction Score
They would bring in VA and NOVA (not completely sure MD market reaches into NOVA).

NOVA is also the largest growing part of hte country population wise, I believe.

Pretty much this. Charlottesville is split between DC and Richmond, and the entire state is 12th in the US in Population (and growing at a good rate). It has a solid athletic department and is one of the best public schools in America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom