North Carolina and Virginia may have Big Ten offers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

North Carolina and Virginia may have Big Ten offers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I dont believe that UVa & UNC have offers.

For this reason: it seems pretty clear that the B10 wasnt taking Rutgers UNLESS Maryland committed first. Wouldn't it be that RU wouldnt be taken unless Md, UVA, and UNC accepted?

Reaction Score
This is a tough one to believe, at least regarding UNC. The current ACC commish, John Swofford, was the AD at UNC for almost 20 years. It isn't like the tarholes to eat their young like that.

Reaction Score
I once thought that unc to the b1g was inevitable. Then I spoke to my cousin (unc alumn) at a family party about his alma mater joining osu, um and pus and he went off on the north. Essentially turned into the stereotypical southerner - and he is from ct. Then I paid attention to the message boards and realized that unc fans are very dukes of hazard. They stay in acc or move to sec...they definitely DO NOT join a predominently northern league.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I dont believe that UVa & UNC have offers.

For this reason: it seems pretty clear that the B10 wasnt taking Rutgers UNLESS Maryland committed first. Wouldn't it be that RU wouldnt be taken unless Md, UVA, and UNC accepted?

Your belief requires critical thought so forget it.

Reaction Score
I would think possibly 2-4 more go 2 B12, possibly some combo of LVille, Cincy, BYU, Pitts, GTech, Houston, Miami.

So really getting bumped for this round of ACC would suck because of the unknowns, but probability we'd be in a league like this at some point in next 3-5 years.

So let's assume:

B1G - UNC, UVA
SEC - NC State, VT
Big12 - Florida State, Clemson

ACC - UConn, Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Duke, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Cincy, USF, UCF, Temple - ND hoops.

STILL better than where we are right now. Hell, add St. John's, Georgetown, Villanova for hoops.

At this point we'll have some regional rivals and still great hoops.

It's not the ideal situation, but it's not the worse - not by far.

Reaction Score
I actually see conferences getting too big and breaking up. Frankly ACCs best move right now is to get rid of BC, SU, Pitt and Wake. Split the pie with the remaining 9 schools. Football gets better by subtraction. Basketball will have a true round robin.

Reaction Score
This is a tough one to believe, at least regarding UNC. The current ACC commish, John Swofford, was the AD at UNC for almost 20 years. It isn't like the tarholes to eat their young like that.
Delaney went to UNC and played basketball there on 2 Final Four squads.

Reaction Score
Agree with your thoughts on UNC. Add to that there is no way in hell that UVA goes to the B1G...they also don't need the money and they just went through political hell when the Board of Govenors ousted the President. Govenor got involved and she had her job back and some heads rolled. It would be a complete 180 on what they believe in...true they are academically aligned but certainly not culturally. The pols would go crazy along with alums.

Reaction Score
Also worth noting that if the ACC is poached, GT will be among the first to go - they would put either the Big Ten or the Big 12 in a coveted TV market that they don't current reach

Reaction Score
I'm sure they have offers. Virginia and UNC are prime targets of anyone. But I see no reason to believe they are really going. At least not yet. That's the problem.

Reaction Score
Splitting up UNC and Duke? I may as well start getting more into pro sports. I don't like where college sports is heading.

Reaction Score
I actually see conferences getting too big and breaking up. Frankly ACCs best move right now is to get rid of BC, SU, Pitt and Wake. Split the pie with the remaining 9 schools. Football gets better by subtraction. Basketball will have a true round robin.
You said that before. It's not going to happen. The most powerful conferences (B1G, Pac-12 and SEC) clearly are not looking to split up. It is not even a thought on their minds. They'd probably have no problem leaving the NCAA and forming their own association.

Reaction Score
Splitting up UNC and Duke? I may as well start getting more into pro sports. I don't like where college sports is heading.
Cincinnati still plays Miami (OH) every year.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I don't want to live in a world where Duke and UNC don't have a home & home every year. That's like the Red Sox moving to the AL Central.

Reaction Score
UNC is the backbone of the ACC. I'm sure they are pissed at BiG.

The SEC took 2 schools from the Big 12 & then the 2 conferences aligned themselves in the Sugar Bowl. Why? Money. The same reason UNC would still talk to the Big 10.

Assuming this destroys the ACC, where will Notre Dame go eventually as a full member.

Big 12 allows them to join one of the power conferences AND lets them have their own network - perfect fit. Texas AD & ND AD are very tight.

I can see why the Big 10 would want Carolina. There is no way the state legislature wouldn't find a way to remove everyone if they hung State out to dry.

NC State would be more than fine - desired by the Big 12 & SEC.

Thedevilsden.com, a Duke site, tweeted "Texas and UNC to the Big Ten?" earlier today, too.

- GOR in the Big 12
- Politicians allowed A&M to go their own way but will not let Texas free from the bonds of Tech & Baylor. No ****ing way. Not going to happen.
- LHN is paying many millions every year to the education mission of the university. Already has created a bunch of endowed professorships. Folks that control Texas will not part with the LHN.

Reaction Score
I don't want to live in a world where Duke and UNC don't have a home & home every year. That's like the Red Sox moving to the AL Central.
They are looking for people to put on Mars for life to create a colony. Want to volunteer?

Reaction Score
UNC is the backbone of the ACC. I'm sure they are pissed at BiG.

The SEC took 2 schools from the Big 12 & then the 2 conferences aligned themselves in the Sugar Bowl. Why? Money. The same reason UNC would still talk to the Big 10.

Assuming this destroys the ACC, where will Notre Dame go eventually as a full member.

Big 12 allows them to join one of the power conferences AND lets them have their own network - perfect fit. Texas AD & ND AD are very tight.

I can see why the Big 10 would want Carolina. There is no way the state legislature wouldn't find a way to remove everyone if they hung State out to dry.

NC State would be more than fine - desired by the Big 12 & SEC.

Thedevilsden.com, a Duke site, tweeted "Texas and UNC to the Big Ten?" earlier today, too.

- GOR in the Big 12
- Politicians allowed A&M to go their own way but will not let Texas free from the bonds of Tech & Baylor. No ****ing way. Not going to happen.
- LHN is paying many millions every year to the education mission of the university. Already has created a bunch of endowed professorships. Folks that control Texas will not part with the LHN.

Unc writes their own ticket ... And I contend they (fans, alumn, admins) view themselves as a southern university above all else. SEC is competitive enough financially that if it comes down to $$$ then they bring their act to birmingham.

Reaction Score
Duke's football program does not have much of an appeal to anyone but the ACC. C'est la vie.

I was talking about basketball. Basketball may not be the driving factor in any of this but I care about college basketball a HELL of a lot more than college football (which is the most overrated sport currently in America, a sport that by late October is truly meaningful for about 5-10 teams in the country).

Splitting up Duke and UNC is wrong on so many levels. Just because football drives the bus doesn't mean there won't be a breaking point where some of us turn our money and attention to other avenues because the process has been so repellent.

F

fortebleedsblue

Zero chance that UNC would flip. Zero. With the Maryland poaching I don't even think UNC picks up the phone if they have caller ID.

Translation ... 100% chance. No one and I mean no one outside of the most storied program in football turns down a Big 10 offer ... PERiOD

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
how can anyone possibly say uva or unc doesn't need the money? they may be in fine financial shape, but how cna u possibly say they wouldn't be happy with double the money in a different conf? not having schools like wake deflate the $ etc... silly

the reason md and ruty were 1st is this. nd is the lock in the last pair with a wildcard(hopefully uconn). u take md first becuase unc wont be the one to break up the acc, they will wait until its to late and dead and then move to save themselves duke. there is no connecting states rule in the b10, thats bc theory stuff but they do feel that geography is important to a degree. so u take md who is willing to be the first shaker in acc land and ruty. now u have shown your hand and what your doing. u basically just thumped major chest from dc to nyc. now your clearly going to grab the east coast and force nd in the last pair. now u invite uva and unc and lock them up as the acc falls apart. sec and b12 eat up teams also so its not all your fault. then 2015 rolls around nd calls and you grab a new england school and call yourself the norths only conf.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
this could be a ploy to get ESPN to step up big. They are about to lose the ACC, which together with the Big East going to NBC, will cost ESPN a lot of content.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
fyi rutger sput up billboards all over ny/nj with the b10 logo today. we can't even get a couple(more than 2) boards for season tix. unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom