None of UConn's 3 PGs make Nancy Lieberman Mid Season Top 10 List | The Boneyard

None of UConn's 3 PGs make Nancy Lieberman Mid Season Top 10 List

Reaction Score
Paige will be on the top 10 tomorrow for shooting guards, where she was placed pre-season
Not sure why Nika wouldn't make the top 10 PGs though. Her numbers and team performance is superior to a lot on that final 10 list. I wouldn't be surprised if Paige wasn't on that SG list that comes out tomorrow either. We will see.

Reaction Score
Not sure if Paige is recognized now as a guard or a small forward. K.K. and Ashlyn are in and out and Nika is mainly recognized as a guard who, while she is near the top of the list in assists is not looked upon as a scorer which is what these so called experts look for. Sort of like the offensive linemen on a football team. The other players know how valuable they are but when was the last time you saw one get even a vote for MVP??

Reaction Score
I think the headline says it all There are three of them. Dividing it up that way means that none is necessarily venturing into statistical superstar territory. Of course, those of us whop watch them know how good they are, but at the end of the day, there is no ONE player who just had to make that list.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not sure why Nika wouldn't make the top 10 PGs though. Her numbers and team performance is superior to a lot on that final 10 list. I wouldn't be surprised if Paige wasn't on that SG list that comes out tomorrow either. We will see.
Who spit in your coffee? Paige is the easy favorite for the Shooting Guard. Nika, for all her wonderful skills is not one of the top 10 PGs as this list is heavily predicated on scorring with each of the 10 players as finalists being the top 2 on thei team. Before people disparage the list, look at the listed players stats as all 10 have better stats than Nika. It is not a slight to Nika who will have a great pro career due to her strong defense.

Reaction Score

I would be extremely surprised. I’d love to make a bet on that one.

Reaction Score
Who spit in your coffee? Paige is the easy favorite for the Shooting Guard. Nika, for all her wonderful skills is not one of the top 10 PGs as this list is heavily predicated on scorring with each of the 10 players as finalists being the top 2 on thei team. Before people disparage the list, look at the listed players stats as all 10 have better stats than Nika. It is not a slight to Nika who will have a great pro career due to her strong defense.
I looked every single player on this list and that’s a flat out lie. Nika is in the top 5 of assist on the list and the third best assist to turnover ratio. 3 of these players aren’t even point guards for goodness sakes.

We’ll see if Paige is even in consideration anymore for shooting guard given the narrative around her playing in the post so much this season. If this is the top list of PGs I’d image the list off SG will be equally as bad.

Reaction Score
I think the headline says it all There are three of them. Dividing it up that way means that none is necessarily venturing into statistical superstar territory. Of course, those of us whop watch them know how good they are, but at the end of the day, there is no ONE player who just had to make that list.
Their stats are still better than the players on this list though so that doesn’t track.

Reaction Score
I think you're right here. When everyone is the point guard, no one is the point guard. Nika, KK, Paige and Ashlynn are all in a conundrum when it comes to these awards. Paige will benefit because she's won most of them before and adds the scoring punch coupled with star power.

Reaction Score
Hidalgo Named To Nancy Lieberman Award Top 10
It's nice to see any young lady make a list of accomplishment. The game itself has improved so much, that in part due to Geno and UConn.
While it would be nice to see UConn players getting recognized for their individual prowess it is early for that.

I will not look beyond Marquette to be fair, but a lot will be exposed on Saturday vs Notre Dame. We have have five injured on the bench that would be starters for many D1 teams. Absolutely no problem with point guard by committee.

A mid season top ten list that may look very different at seasons end. ;)

Reaction Score
1705980508803.png

Attachments

• 1705980517230.png
    1705980517230.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 42
Reaction Score
Very imposing list. Nika has nothing to be ashamed of. Besides, Geno wouldn’t trade her for anyone on that list.
The list isn’t imposing at all. 4 of the players are even point guards. I can think of 5 players non-UConn players also severely snubbed my this list because most of these players are mediocre point guards.

Reaction Score
I looked every single player on this list and that’s a flat out lie. Nika is in the top 5 of assist on the list and the third best assist to turnover ratio. 3 of these players aren’t even point guards for goodness sakes.

We’ll see if Paige is even in consideration anymore for shooting guard given the narrative around her playing in the post so much this season. If this is the top list of PGs I’d image the list off SG will be equally as bad.
Maybe a mistake, a misread? Not sure you have to go straight to a lie.

Reaction Score
The list isn’t imposing at all. 4 of the players are even point guards. I can think of 5 players non-UConn players also severely snubbed my this list because most of these players are mediocre point guards.
I’ve seen nine of the 10 play this year. All nine of them are the principal ball handler on their team. Am I mistaken, or is that not the definition of a point guard. 50 years ago, Tiny Archibald led the NBA in both scoring and assists. Having the point guard as the leading scorer on a roster is not something brand new.

Reaction Score
I’ve seen nine of the 10 play this year. All nine of them are the principal ball handler on their team. Am I mistaken, or is that not the definition of a point guard. 50 years ago, Tiny Archibald led the NBA in both scoring and assists. Having the point guard as the leading scorer on a roster is not something brand new.
principle ball handler is not the definition of a point guard nor is it the definition of the award. Just looking at assist numbers and half the players on this list don’t have a 2-1 assist turnover ration and most have less assists than Nika and more turnovers. It’s really a very odd list.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'd put Raven Johnson/Lucy Olsen on here over Sarah Andrews/Jacy Sheldon (who should be on the SG list). Could also move Pao-Pao to SG but she's been more of a combo guard at SC. Muhl is playing well as of late against Big East opponents but I don't think her overall body of work earns her a spot on the finalists list this year.

Reaction Score
Based on how the season has played out, Paige could have been included at any of 4 positions. The one thing I'm sure they wanted to do is classify Caitlin and Paige in different categories so that both could in theory win. If they had considered both as PG's or SG's, and you could make a good position argument for either of those scenarios, it would have been a bad situation if one couldn't win.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
No, it’s a conspiracy. Everyone is out to get UConn.

Nika was one of the original nominees that just didn’t make the final 10 probably because she’s playing more off the ball this season. KK and Paige didn’t make the final cut because they weren’t nominated in the first place

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It don't really matter who's on the list, Clark is winning this award. Even if she quit basketball tomorrow, they'd still give it to her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom