None of the Post Mortems Mention The Short Layoff -- Why? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

None of the Post Mortems Mention The Short Layoff -- Why?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Let's not forget the arena temperature. It was 74.3 degrees, and everyone know UConn performs best when it's 74.4 degrees. That 0.1 difference was devastating.
My point was not that the extra day is an "excuse". I agree that MSU won fair and square, and I said that the referees' decisions could not be blamed. (I do not think that Morgan William committed a foul on Saniya with 12 seconds left in overtime.)

But I do think it is plausible that the extra day of preparation had an effect on the outcome of the game. If a day of preparation resulted in 5 more points, it would have swung the outcome. (Which is also true if UConn had hit 22 of 25 free throws instead of 17 out of 25, or if Napheesa had hit 2 of the many layups that she missed.)

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Uconn lost because only gabby and kls showed up to play. Nurse was horrible in that game and the reason i said she wasn't an AA showed up. If collier could make a foul shot uconn would have won. Geno just can't coach in close games and there's no way the ball should've been in chongs hands at the end of ot.

Your handle is very appropriate. It explains this post better than any other word possibly could...truly bizarro.

We had an off game. MSU's defense had a lot to do with that. It happens, oh say, maybe every 111 games or so? And you're right...Geno sucks in close games. He never coached in one during 11 national championship seasons.

We lost a game. Life goes on.

Reaction Score
UConn lost. They move on, the fans move, and we all wait for next year. Yes, it will be a long wait until it's upon us. Congratulations Huskies. We are proud of your effort and how you have conducted yourselves all year under the glare of the unrelenting spotlight. Next year will be even better.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Let's not forget the arena temperature. It was 74.3 degrees, and everyone know UConn performs best when it's 74.4 degrees. That 0.1 difference was devastating.
AND, they had to walk through 80 degree heat to get from the bus to the arena!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
AND, they had to walk through 80 degree heat to get from the bus to the arena!
I thought it was the atitude sickness from having to get on an airplane. Head bang

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Something related to this that I'm sure was a major factor in the team's personal performances, and I haven't heard it mentioned yet, is the late hour of the game. It's only a one hour time change to Dallas, but tip off was after 10 pm Eastern. That's around a student athlete's bed time, so our girls' bodies would have been starting to shut down. They went to Dallas on Tuesday, but as those of us who travel frequently know, you need closer to a week to acclimate. Once they learned they were scheduled for the second game, if they had tried to stay up a little later to prepare, they would have still been waking up at their regular body-clock time in the mornings, and somewhat sleep deprived come Friday as well.
LOL. For a college kid, midnight is going to be early. My two sons go to different schools, one in the Northeast and one in the South, and they and their friends are routinely up until 1-2 in the morning.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Uconn lost because only gabby and kls showed up to play. Nurse was horrible in that game and the reason i said she wasn't an AA showed up. If collier could make a foul shot uconn would have won. Geno just can't coach in close games and there's no way the ball should've been in chongs hands at the end of ot.
Gee, the whole team stinks.

Reaction Score
LOL. For a college kid, midnight is going to be early. My two sons go to different schools, one in the Northeast and one in the South, and they and their friends are routinely up until 1-2 in the morning.

That's true for college students in general, Nan, but for student athletes on scholarship? I suspect not.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That's true for college students in general, Nan, but for student athletes on scholarship? I suspect not.
These aren't pros, they're kids. I'm sure on the nights before games they get to bed earlier but if they've gone to bed at 9:00 since middle school, I'll eat my hat, and yours too.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

When I was at UCONN we routinely stayed up all night. I'd go to bed at 5 or 6 a.m., sleep for a few hours, and I scheduled all my classes in the afternoon. Nobody went to bed at 10 p.m.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Agreed. We had butterfingers, threw passes that were tipped, missed layups and free throws. Mississippi State played their A game, and we played our C game.

Milford, without going into grave detail, in your 2 sentences, you have completely sumerized the sum total of the game Friday. Sometimes less is more. You captured it here.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
So let me get this straight.
The team wins 111 games in a row.
Let me say that again, 111 GAMES IN A ROW.
And when they finally end up having a less than stellar performance against a team of charged-up players who were playing the games of their lives, people are going to bitch and moan?
Come on, man.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Can I give this thread a triple dislike? Can't we just say UConn was outplayed, out hustled and lost to the better team that night? A team that earned and deserved the win? Nothing is forever. Not even losses.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Gee, the whole team stinks.
Well, for one game, maybe. Your quote sounds like something Geno might say. It's interesting how the same quote can have entirely different meaning giving the context. If Geno said it, he's trying to motivate his team. I'm pretty sure HuskyNan was being sarcastic.

Keep this in mind the next time you are evaluating what a politician says, taken out of context.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom