Non-Key Tweets | Page 760 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
This iteration of realignment appears to be about conference’s adding content people want to watch. Adding highly recognizable national brands is the best way to accomplish this. Perhaps the next best option is adding rivalry games.

The Big 12 is not going to be able to add a national brand. I accordingly wonder if focusing on existing or potential rivalries isn’t their long-term best option. And rivalries tend to exist or emerge among geographically nearby schools.

Perhaps adding a couple teams from a pool of proximate schools like Houston, Tulane, and Memphis might be a better than adding another geographic outlier?

1627873115701.png
Something like shown above might be the best hope for XII leftovers, & that's with PAC decimated...

Reaction Score
Not seeing any incentive for the B12 schools to do anything but soak up the remaining money. A reckoning is coming but unless there's enough media money and it's allowed by contract to raid 2-4 AAC teams they're stuck. How does that even work? Who is their media partner. Like the ACC is stuck by contract. Everyone waits for the Big 10 to make a move that may or may not involve the PAC. If that happens PAC leftovers come into the mix. I'm onboard with Flugs on that and I'll go down with the ship. Maybe.
Pac10 leftovers might not be popular, but they are in much bigger markets. I can't see them having any interest in the B12. Who are we talking about anyway? Stanford? Oregon? Cal? Washington? Arizona? Colorado? I just don't see the point in mixing with Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma St, Iowa St, Kansas St, West Virginia.

Reaction Score
As you guys are aware, I have always maintained that people watch marquis match ups. Brands.

The SEC has cornered major brands...Texas-LSU and Oklahoma-Alabama is of more interest than Indiana-Wisconsin or Wake Forest-Georgia Tech. ESPN has been evolving and the handwriting was on the wall when CBS had been paying the SEC $55 million per year for the one SEC Game of the Week.....and ESPN upped that to $300 million...

That one SEC game costs them almost what the whole year of ACC games does.

ESPN will have what amounts to NFL Saturdays. Big time programs with the best athletes that money can influence.

And...where things get murky..is that ESPN owns the SEC brand and is also the largest sports media outlet.

They will, as they have been doing, shill the SEC since they own it...their talking heads will play it up even during other games, the SEC games will dominate available band width in the prime hours of watching...all influencing public perception, rankings, etc...

And soon we will see lesser brands, like the ACC, relegated to the ACCN, ESPN+, etc.

The joke about E SEC PN will have become reality.

Fox will try to counter with their brands....it could be a binary world, kind of like Fox News is now to one set of viewers and CNN to the other set.

But no matter what, with streaming, we will be able to watch most of the teams of our choosing..

..and like in the story we read our kids..Horton Hears a Who....

“Don't give up! I believe in you all. A person's a person, no matter how small! And you very small persons will not have to die. If you make yourselves heard! So come on, now, and TRY!”

Reaction Score
As you guys are aware, I have always maintained that people watch marquis match ups. Brands.

The SEC has cornered major brands...Texas-LSU and Oklahoma-Alabama is of more interest than Indiana-Wisconsin or Wake Forest-Georgia Tech. ESPN has been evolving and the handwriting was on the wall when CBS had been paying the SEC $55 million per year for the one SEC Game of the Week.....and ESPN upped that to $300 million...

ESPN will have what amounts to NFL Saturdays. Big time programs with the best athletes that money can influence.

And...where things get murky..is that ESPN owns the SEC brand and is also the largest sports media outlet.

They will, as they have been doing, shill the SEC since they own it...their talking heads will play it up even during other games, the SEC games will dominate available band width in the prime hours of watching...all influencing public perception, rankings, etc...

And soon we will see lesser brands, like the ACC, relegated to the ACCN, ESPN+, etc.

Fox will try to counter with their brands....it could be a binary world, kind of like Fox News is now to one set of viewers and CNN to the other set.

But no matter what, with streaming, we will be able to watch most of the teams of our choosing..

“Don't give up! I believe in you all. A person's a person, no matter how small! And you very small persons will not have to die. If you make yourselves heard! So come on, now, and TRY!”
This is the new reality unfortunately. ESPiN always been a propaganda mouthpiece for their media properties, and now the propaganda noise will just get louder and longer now that they own the SEC media rights.

Make no mistake, there will be a clear divide between the haves and have nots. If B1G does not raid PAC-12 and/or ACC for its top properties, it is just a matter of time before the SEC acquires them all. Can't imagine USC in the SEC? It might be the new reality in a few years.

It is a sad new world we live in since plenty of things like NIL, recruiting rankings, team rankings etc are purely subjective. People who rank teams that can influence playoff spots etc are the same ones who been brainwashed by the endless propaganda from media outlets like ESPiN.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Make no mistake, there will be a clear divide between the haves and have nots. If B1G does not raid PAC-12 and/or ACC for its top properties, it is just a matter of time before the SEC acquires them all. Can't imagine USC in the SEC? It might be the new reality in a few years.

Yep, solve the complexity issues of the layers of the NCAA with its conferences by slow consolidation behind the leader; the SEC.

Its really going to come down to Fox or some other broadcaster not named Disney. Is there another media company out there that wants to build a brand to balance the ESPN line up of SEC, ACC and filler line ups of AAC, MAC, Sunbelt? By build a brand, I mean get into bed with the same force as ESPN behind the collection of B1G, P12 and B12 remnants in a series of alliances and/or expansions. Btw-CUSA contract with ESPN/CBS ends in 2023. If not, ESPN can continue to pull strings to engineer a more consolidated line up of schools which will play out over the next 10 years.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
FWIW:

If true, there are going to be a lot of SEC teams vying for a spot in the Birmingham Bowl with 7-5 records.

ACC programs get a lot of money and being a big fish in a medium pond offers a better route to the playoff than a below average sized fish in a lake. If you want the competition, play OoC games.

I don't believe it is true. The ACC GOR runs through 2035 and ESPN already owns the ACC. What is the motivation?

Reaction Score
If true, there are going to be a lot of SEC teams vying for a spot in the Birmingham Bowl with 7-5 records.

ACC programs get a lot of money and being a big fish in a medium pond offers a better route to the playoff than a below average sized fish in a lake. If you want the competition, play OoC games.

I don't believe it is true. The ACC GOR runs through 2035 and ESPN already owns the ACC. What is the motivation?
I don’t believe it’s true as presented in the tweet but the motivation could be FOMO. ACC is getting lapped by SEC and B1G $$ wise.

Reaction Score
That is true from a program standpoint, but realignment begins and ends with who pays for the product. What reason would ESPN have to pay more for Clemson and FSU?
Perhaps the end game is to make a superconference/consortium that in essence becomes akin to being MLB while sifting out as many AAA clubs from the bigs (or at least diluting the impact the AAA clubs have on the economic pie)?

Reaction Score

All well and good. But huge chunks of the country are going to tune out.

I've been a sports fan all my life, and many of my friends love sports.

Never once in my life have I discussed NASCAR with anyone.

Reaction Score
That is true from a program standpoint, but realignment begins and ends with who pays for the product. What reason would ESPN have to pay more for Clemson and FSU?
The broadcast rights for the home games of FSU and Clemson have an estimated value. They're worth what they're worth. Broadcasters add the estimated values of member schools together when crafting media contract proposals to a league.

The Tigers and Seminoles would receive more from the SEC because their new conference mates' broadcast rights would on average be worth a lot more than their current league partners.

FSU and Clemson would only add value to the SEC if their broadcast rights are worth more than the average of existing members.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The broadcast rights for the home games of FSU and Clemson have an estimated value. They're worth what they're worth. Broadcasters add the estimated values of member schools together when crafting media contract proposals to a league.

The Tigers and Seminoles would receive more from the SEC because their new conference mates' broadcast rights would on average be worth a lot more than their current league partners.

FSU and Clemson would only add value to the SEC if their broadcast rights are worth more than the average of existing members.

Broadcast value is not estimated in this case. ESPN owns the rights for both the ACC and soon, the SEC. Why would they elect to pay more for two schools in the SEC, when they are getting them for a comparable bargain in the ACC?

Reaction Score
MH ver3@MH ver3 6h
Just wait for the B1G shoe to drop…

MH ver3@MH ver3 6h
Replying to
@Pennstatedanny
That’s a possibility but I’m hearing 5 Pac12 schools now plus ND.

MH ver3@MH ver3 5h
Per my source inside WVU AD: ACC membership is almost a complete certainty. ACC preparing to lose at least two schools to poaching-possibly 2 1/2. UNC/UVA not going anywhere.

MH ver3@MH ver3 3h
Hearing that FSU and Clemson are looking into the feasibility of fighting the GOR in court using the changing dynamics in college football and the way content is consumed as their grounds

MH ver3@MH ver3 3h
By no means is anything a “done deal”. Just take it for what it’s worth: FSU and Clemson are exploring their options.

MH ver3@MH ver3 3h
There are whispers that for FSU and Clemson getting out of that bad contract would be worth $100m up front because they’d make that up in 3 years with the SEC money.

MH ver3@MH ver3 3h
I think you’ll see the B1G make the next move though. I think the FSU/Clemson thing will take at least 6 months to bear any fruit…but I could be wrong. Their initial contact with SEC came just days ago while TXOU happened last year

MH ver3@MH ver3 3h
Word going around the conference is that espn is going to buyout the remainder of the LHN contract. So there’s UT’s exit money.

MH ver3@MH ver3 3h
Notes from Bob B’s last phone call with George K that was shared with B12 ADs:

MH ver3@MH ver3 3h
Pac12 appears to be in defensive mode much like B12. They are literally just waiting on something to happen

MH ver3@MH ver3 3h
There is indeed an issue with UCLA. They must go with Cal. It’s a package deal. B1G May end up with 5 of the 12.

MH ver3@MH ver3 3h
Eastward expansion for the PAC May actually help with some issues they’ve had with their content carriers. A merger could be very beneficial for both sides even without their flagship programs

MH ver3@MH ver3 3h
A Pac12/B12 remnants merger would be a similar television footprint population-wise to that of the ACC. Thinks they could get a comparable tv contract to an FSU/Clemson-less ACC.

MH ver3@MH ver3 1h
Remaining 8 tv value for base tv contracts with Fox and ESPN would be $14.7m per team. Bowlsby just told the ADs. So still twice the current AAC value.

MH ver3@MH ver3 1h
Thinks we could renegotiate with our tier 3 rights included and get close to $20m per team. That’s a far cry from SEC/B1G money

MH ver3@MH ver3 1h
There’s a feeling that espn would block us taking any aac teams to expand by severely undervaluing them in any negotiations. We aren’t on the networks good side as it is.

MH ver3@MH ver3 1h
Remaining 8 may be boxed in waiting on the next move to happen before being able to make any moves with the exception of backfilling 2 spots if/when TXOU leave early.

MH ver3@MH ver3 1h
What Bowlsby didn’t say today but is something he is championing behind the scenes: limiting the expanded playoff to 3 spots max per conference.

Reaction Score
Broadcast value is not estimated in this case. ESPN owns the rights for both the ACC and soon, the SEC. Why would they elect to pay more for two schools in the SEC, when they are getting them for a comparable bargain in the ACC?
There are any number of good reasons why they would.

For one, they'd love to stop subsidizing Wake Forest, BC, Syracuse, Pitt and Va Tech.

Two, the FSU President couldn't have been clearer this week when he said FSU HAS TO explore joining the SEC.

In many ways this is bigger than ESPN. They want a super conference outside the NCAA and Florida State might remember way back when it was way outside the top leagues looking in. FSU has been a top football school for 55 years now. Before that, it was like Cincinnati. Granted that's a very long time, but some of these folks have long memories.

The tweet above throws cold water on the rumor mill about Clemson and FSU--did the tweeter miss the fact that the President of FSU gave an interview about all of this?

Reaction Score
ESPN wouldn't pay more. The broadcast rights to the home games of Florida State and Clemson cost ESPN about the same regardless of conference affiliation.

Let's arbitrarily declare that ESPN estimates that Florida State home games are worth $50 million per year. Subtracting the Seminoles from ACC would reduce that conference's overall annual broadcast value by $50 million. And ESPN likely would invoke the composition clause of its ACC media contract to reduce its payment to the league by $50 million per year.

Adding Florida State to the SEC would meanwhile add $50 million per year in value to the conference's pooled broadcast rights. And the SEC would assuredly invoke the composition clause in its deal with ESPN to seek the addition of that $50 million per year.

What many neglect is that both ESPN and Fox stabilized the Big 12 a decade ago. They allowed the league to keep the same overall payout after the exchange of Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri and Texas A&M for TCU and West Virginia. The league's overall valuation had drastically changed. The networks opted to overpay to calm things down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom