Non-Key Tweets | Page 696 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
With the new ACC network and GOR, I think there's a minimal chance that the Big Ten pulls a team out of the ACC now. If the Big Ten wants to go to 16, now, they will have to go west. Oklahoma, Kansas, maybe Texas, and even Missouri from the SEC are most likely IMO. Personally, I would guess KU and Mizzou just because OU seems like more of a fit in the SEC and Texas clearly won't bow to anyone (my own speculation that Mizzou would jump to the Big Ten...it would seem to make sense culturally and essentially be a wash financially).

It makes me wonder, if the Big Ten had a network from Kansas City to New York and the SEC owned the football landscape (with OU), how would the ACC respond? There is not a whole lot of room for the ACC to increase their athletic prestige. I think that they would have to get Notre Dame in the conference as a football member by 2025 when the NBC contract is up. And of course, ND would need a partner to join with...

Reaction Score
This is building hypotheticals on top of hypotheticals. They can stop at Oklahoma and Texas if that were to happen, and if they don't get both, then they can add Kansas (or whomever, I know they are land grant and AAU but they were like 57th in the WSJ what's your sports team worth and the largest market in the state is 65th).

You're ignoring that they actually want Kansas. They really are a school that Big Ten presidents like and think would fit perfectly. True, they don't "have" to go to 18 if they get Oklahoma and Texas... but they actually want to. They like the scheduling 'symmetry' it creates, from everything I've heard. Plus, if the Big 12 is eaten alive, we will wind up with four super conferences anyhow and it would essentially create an 8-team playoff. At that point, they'll create a third subdivision or else the rest of FBS would be absorbed into FCS.

Reaction Score
It makes me wonder, if the Big Ten had a network from Kansas City to New York and the SEC owned the football landscape (with OU), how would the ACC respond? There is not a whole lot of room for the ACC to increase their athletic prestige. I think that they would have to get Notre Dame in the conference as a football member by 2025 when the NBC contract is up. And of course, ND would need a partner to join with...

Nothing says football prestige like UConn.

(I know you said athletic prestige and it is the ACC we are talking about so basketball is relevant. Let's hope concussions kill off football by 2025).

Reaction Score
You're ignoring that they actually want Kansas. They really are a school that Big Ten presidents like and think would fit perfectly. True, they don't "have" to go to 18 if they get Oklahoma and Texas... but they actually want to. They like the scheduling 'symmetry' it creates, from everything I've heard. Plus, if the Big 12 is eaten alive, we will wind up with four super conferences anyhow and it would essentially create an 8-team playoff. At that point, they'll create a third subdivision or else the rest of FBS would be absorbed into FCS.

Would love some non Non-Key Tweet sources on this.

Reaction Score
With the new ACC network and GOR, I think there's a minimal chance that the Big Ten pulls a team out of the ACC now. If the Big Ten wants to go to 16, now, they will have to go west. Oklahoma, Kansas, maybe Texas, and even Missouri from the SEC are most likely IMO. Personally, I would guess KU and Mizzou just because OU seems like more of a fit in the SEC and Texas clearly won't bow to anyone (my own speculation that Mizzou would jump to the Big Ten...it would seem to make sense culturally and essentially be a wash financially).

Norte Dame and UConn and call it a day would be my preference, but I don't think I have much pull in Greensboro. It will likely be whomever Notre Dame wants. I only pray it isn't Texas, because that looks like a marriage destined to fail.

Reaction Score
Would love some non Non-Key Tweet sources on this.

Which part were you looking for sourcing? This all is stuff I've heard from my own time covering athletics or from friends that work in FBS athletic departments. The third subdivision thing was admittedly something they were discussing before the autonomy but it's still something they're talking about behind the scenes casually. Whether they do it or not is just an educated guess, but it's something I'm expecting to happen at some point.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. The Big Ten could take Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas along with Connecticut to go to 18. The biggest issue for UConn in the Oklahoma-Big Ten scenario is if Oklahoma demands Oklahoma State to tag along in expansion. That's where it could be tricky.

Oklahoma is really the key to this and that's probably why Boren hasn't deviated from the OU-OSU package, presumably. The leverage that they have is they can go to the SEC by themselves or with the Pokes in tow. "Let them go," you might say. Well, consider the short term media contract the Big Ten just signed recently. The conventional wisdom of the day is they're waiting to see how streaming and cord cutting plays out in real life before going to a new long-term deal.

But what if that is predicted on them being able to land a football "brand" or two? Sure, they'd be fine with the programs they have. However, if the ACC is no longer breakable and the PAC is still too far away, and then the SEC shuts off a pathway to a massive recruiting state needed to meet the demands of alumni and donors over the longer term, especially with regards to football, then they could well end up in a more precarious position in decades' time. The SEC cutting off the path to the Southwest, which breaks contiguity with the northern plains states, does that.

Also, Big 8 culture has a lot of similarities with the western side of the Big Ten. Texas may be different but a lot of Big Ten alumni are already living there.

Reaction Score
Progam Note to Fellow Posters:

I get it.........looks grim for our Big12 invite. But last time I checked, this has not been announced. It is highly unlikely but not inconceivable that they take 4 including UCONN. Can we stop shoveling dirt on the carcass till the official announcement?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Progam Note to Fellow Posters:

I get it....looks grim for our Big12 invite. But last time I checked, this has not been announced. It is highly unlikely but not inconceivable that they take 4 including UCONN. Can we stop shoveling dirt on the carcass till the official announcement?

Talk about shoveling the dirt on... Eternal life for everyone!!:

MattMang23

Reaction Score
All I see is "loading tweet". What does it say?

It's our buddy Dude of WV.

"The death of B12 expansion is not a determining factor in the future viability of the conference."

Reaction Score

MattMang23

Reaction Score
The only two schools acceptable to Fox and ESPN lol. I know, based on previous tweets, that he's referring to Houston and Cincy. (Or BYU and one of them.)

Which is funny since BHV and a former CBS sports exec said we are the most valuable TV property.

It has taken until now but he has finally outed himself as a fraud.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Which is funny since BHV and a former CBS sports exec said we are the most valuable TV property.

Which is exactly why ESPN wants UConn in the AAC. If the AAC was controlled by any other non-Mouse network, UConn would be in a P5 conference. It is and UConn is not.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 1h1 hour ago
Big 12 expansion is unofficially dead. Bowlsby has heard from all 10 schools. No school has more than 5 votes.

Two factions exist that have enough votes to block the only two schools acceptable to ESPN and Fox.

It's over.

I read these tweets & all I could see in my mind was the Coroner's report in Munchkinland: "She's not merely dead, she's really quite SINCERELY DEAD!"

Reaction Score
The only two schools acceptable to Fox and ESPN lol. I know, based on previous tweets, that he's referring to Houston and Cincy. (Or BYU and one of them.)
It's BYU and one of them, likely Cincinnati. UH is not terribly appealing to TV since Houston is a fairly redundant Big 12 market.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
It's BYU and one of them, likely Cincinnati. UH is not terribly appealing to TV since Houston is a fairly redundant Big 12 market.

That's what I don't get about BYU. How are they appealing to both ESPN and Fox? Or either of them for that matter? ESPN already owns them and Fox is looking for Eastern content, apparently. Unless BYUs TV appeal is so high that they're a must have for Fox and they're willing to forgo Eastern content to get their hands on BYU. I think BYU's appeal is more like Flug says. On the ground appeal. Their people are everywhere and go to games. And in Provo they sell out every week.

Reaction Score

Is a 1.0 national TV rating any good for a thrus night CFB game?

That's about what college basketball gets. Not good. Houston certainly didn't help with that number. UConn women bball does better than that in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
That's about what college basketball gets. Not good. Houston certainly didn't help with that number. UConn women bball does better than that in Connecticut.

Seen the viewers posted anywhere yet? For reference:

Last Thurs: Ga Tech vs. Clemson = 1.813M viewers
Two Thurs: Cincinnati vs Houston = 2.159M viewers

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog