Non-Key Tweets | Page 266 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Hoops Weiss broke the first Big East raid. He found out why Skip Proesser turned down the Pitt job to stay at Wake.

Good memory. I forgot about him being in on breaking the Big East news. But yeah, there's a reason he's a Hall of Fame writer. He's definitely not one to put things out without a good reason.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's awesome that he thinks Weiss read his replies and he educated him.

It was fun to joke about the Dood being mentally ill - but every passing week makes him a bit sadder of a character.

Reaction Score
Because Rutgers was entrance into the NYC market. They were/are continuous, AAU, and just merged with the med school. Rutgers WAS about subscriptions. Remember, Fox just purchased controlling interest in the YES network. Just like ESPN leveraged it's network with The SECN, Fox could/did the same with the BTN. Rutgers was a great addition for the Big10 alumni in NYC, just like UMD was for DC alumni.

Since the Big10 gets money from different aspects of it media, they need names for the tier 1 negotiations. People watch Oklahoma football and Kansas basketball. They will be on ABC/Fox broadcast network channels, not on the secondary channels. Imagine Michigan and Oklahoma playing in October. The revival of the Nebraska - Oklahoma series. They could, potentially, have the Red River Shootout every other year! Throwin in Kansas BBall games against Indiana, Michigan State, Wisconsisn, and Maryland, you've got a pretty good lineup there that would make money for advertisers on winter Saturdays. The markets aren't great, but Kansas has pull in Kansas City and Oklahoma has pull in Dallas/Fort Worth.

Obviously, UNC and UVA would be the main targets, but they seem to want to stay in the ACC. I have been a very large proponent of VT and UConn to the Big10, but I don't see that happening quite yet. Since we are playing with the scenario of the Big12 GoR having a loophole, OU and KU seem to be the most attainable.

The CT market is bigger than Ok or Kansas. Plus we can sell wbb and hockey. The average household income is larger in CT which will pull in more advertising dollars. On a private network we will bring more income than many schools including those in the P5.

Reaction Score
My lord, the Dude has the audacity to call a HOF'er stupid? I've seen it all. That guy only wishes he could ever have enough credibility to wash Weiss' toilet.
Pfft, Dude once got an interview with Tim Brando.

Reaction Score
My read on this was that Weiss was saying that FOX was mulling OU and KU to the B1G because of it's impact on the B1G TV rights (which they do own a large part of if I'm not mistaken), not the Big 12.

But yeah, relax Dude. You're being very un-Dude.

I think most normal, rational humans read his tweet that way too. Dude is not that.

Reaction Score
BYUJazzman‏@BYUJazzman 9h9 hours ago
Big 12 invite would shut Utah fans up, until they start trying the whole Pac 12 > Big 12 talk.

Tyler J. Dixon‏@tylerjamesdixon 8h8 hours ago
@BYUJazzman Big 12 is imploding. Might not even be around in a decade.

BYUJazzman‏@BYUJazzman 8h8 hours ago
@tylerjamesdixon Unless they expand.

@BYUJazzman Insiders are saying that OU and KU are working together to join B10 sooner than later, along with "a TX team." TCU maybe.

Casey Finlinson‏@Findaddy81 8h8 hours ago
@tylerjamesdixon @BYUJazzman That would suck due to the fact I have always hoped BYU would get a Big 10 invite over Big 12

@Findaddy81 @BYUJazzman B1G won't go further west than NE/OK/TX line, in my opinion. Too hard to travel for Pstate, Rutg, Mrland, etc.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
@BYUJazzman Insiders are saying that OU and KU are working together to join B10 sooner than later, along with "a TX team." TCU maybe.

@Findaddy81 @BYUJazzman B1G won't go further west than NE/OK/TX line, in my opinion. Too hard to travel for Pstate, Rutg, Mrland, etc.

Three Big 12 teams supposedly being considered. A fourth would be needed and one that partners with Penn St, MD and Rutgers. Who else could that be but UConn? Sure, it could be an ACC school but would the B1G be interested in challenging two GORs? The more and more I look, the more I see UConn as a viable, if not strong B1G candidate.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 57m57 minutes ago
Let's talk about BS. Plenty of rumors going around. All are BS. Big 12 is stable...

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 57m57 minutes ago
Let's talk about BS. Plenty of rumors going around. All are BS. Big 12 is stable...

All is well.jpg

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
In a way, I feel bad for him. For the first time in a long while, I think he is beginning to feel the anxieties that the rest of us G5 schleps have had since our old conference began to break up. It'll be interesting to see the rhetoric shift in the coming years...hopefully sooner.

Reaction Score

Casey Finlinson‏@Findaddy81 8h8 hours ago
@tylerjamesdixon @BYUJazzman That would suck due to the fact I have always hoped BYU would get a Big 10 invite over Big 12

If the B1G adds a TX team, its going to be U Texas if Texas agrees to play nice with everyone else. The only other viable candidate in Texas would be A&M, which is already spoken for. Rice has the AAU cred and research dollars plus the Houston market; but, athletically, they look more like U Chicago and less like Northwestern. Neither Baylor nor TCU (throw SMU into this bucket, too) have AAU and they don't offer the B1G enough to get over that hump like Nebraska did. Texas Tech (US news #156) and U Houston (US News #189) makes Nebraska (US news #99) look almost Ivy league. I still think if OU and Kansas went to the B1G, Missouri could be lured to the B1G as those (along with Illinois) are their biggest rival and are culturally and academically closer tot eh B1G than the SEC.

To address travel issues, if the B1G went to 20 and used a pod system, travel would basically be identical to the old XII with a 'South' pod in the B1G consisting of: 1) Texas, 2) Oklahoma, 3) Kansas, 4) Missouri and 5) Nebraska or Illinois.

As for BYU, the B1G wants nothing to do with ND - which is basically a lager, more pretentious and way more valuable version of BYU. Thus, no chance BYU goes to the B1G.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Dipping my toes into the world of ridiculous and absurd speculation: what if ESPiN made Mizzou available to pair with OU and KU in exchange for Texas to the SEC? B1G could add OU, KU, Mizzou and UConn and, in one fell swoop, will have strengthen all revenue sports and FOX can add some serious eastern markets. ESPiN gets the "prize" in Texas, which they could figure out a way to integrate the LHN with the SECN. Maybe a few other B12 schools find homes (WVU to ACC, OSU/TCU to SEC, the rest goes to PAC).

Reaction Score
If the B1G adds a TX team, its going to be U Texas if Texas agrees to play nice with everyone else. The only other viable candidate in Texas would be A&M, which is already spoken for. Rice has the AAU cred and research dollars plus the Houston market; but, athletically, they look more like U Chicago and less like Northwestern. Neither Baylor nor TCU (throw SMU into this bucket, too) have AAU and they don't offer the B1G enough to get over that hump like Nebraska did. Texas Tech (US news #156) and U Houston (US News #189) makes Nebraska (US news #99) look almost Ivy league. I still think if OU and Kansas went to the B1G, Missouri could be lured to the B1G as those (along with Illinois) are their biggest rival and are culturally and academically closer tot eh B1G than the SEC.

To address travel issues, if the B1G went to 20 and used a pod system, travel would basically be identical to the old XII with a 'South' pod in the B1G consisting of: 1) Texas, 2) Oklahoma, 3) Kansas, 4) Missouri and 5) Nebraska or Illinois.

As for BYU, the B1G wants nothing to do with ND - which is basically a lager, more pretentious and way more valuable version of BYU. Thus, no chance BYU goes to the B1G.

Correct and thank God, since it is a two way street for sure.....Finally, finally, the Big Ten has quit hounding Notre Dame for membership which it does not want. Hooray!

(I don't think that Texas will go to the Big Ten, either).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I can say with some degree of logical certainty that OU isn't joining the B1G to get away from Texas while joining the B1G with Texas. They would convert the LHN into the B12N while staying put and expand. No other TX team is going to the B1G. The B1G wouldn't want the Texas drama anymore than they want the ND drama.

They may have entertained the idea at some point in the past, but they've learned a lot about what works and what doesnt work with conference makeups in the past decade.

I'm not entirely convinced they want OU. It doesn't bring much to the table other than a premier FB program that relies on TX recruiting. Certainly nothing that tops the list of the B1G presidents.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dipping my toes into the world of ridiculous and absurd speculation: what if ESPiN made Mizzou available to pair with OU and KU in exchange for Texas to the SEC? B1G could add OU, KU, Mizzou and UConn and, in one fell swoop, will have strengthen all revenue sports and FOX can add some serious eastern markets. ESPiN gets the "prize" in Texas, which they could figure out a way to integrate the LHN with the SECN. Maybe a few other B12 schools find homes (WVU to ACC, OSU/TCU to SEC, the rest goes to PAC).
The Big 12 contract then bursts into flames so ESPN saves money there. The Big 12 leftovers and the best of AAC merge to form a new league, affordable to to ESPN but with watchable content. The P5 becomes the P4 setting up a more clear path to the college football playoffs, which expands to 8 teams creating more revenue for ESPN. Conspiracy Kitty retires and lives a life full scratching posts and catnip.

Fade to black....

Reaction Score
I can say with some degree of logical certainty that OU isn't joining the B1G to get away from Texas while joining the B1G with Texas. They would convert the LHN into the B12N while staying put and expand. No other TX team is going to the B1G. The B1G wouldn't want the Texas drama anymore than they want the ND drama.

They may have entertained the idea at some point in the past, but they've learned a lot about what works and what doesnt work with conference makeups in the past decade.

I'm not entirely convinced they want OU. It doesn't bring much to the table other than a premier FB program that relies on TX recruiting. Certainly nothing that tops the list of the B1G presidents.

Jim Delany and the Big Ten made a big push for ND and Texas in 2010, only to be rebuffed. They ended up with Nebraska only at the time.

There was lots of discussion in 2010 that Delany had "checkmated" and finally caught his "great white whale" in Notre Dame because of the TV dollars from the Big Ten Network.

Turned out Delany was actually not that good at chess as ND went the ACC route instead.

The only way that the Big Ten "would not want ND and Texas drama" is if both schools are unattainable.

(In related news, I don't want the drama likely associated with Kate Beckinsale and Rhona Mitra, either).

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/08/sports/ncaafootball/08colleges.html?_r=0

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...20100608_1_big-ten-expansion-big-east-rutgers

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/08/sports/la-sp-0609-dufresne-college-football-20100609

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/11/AR2010051102473.html

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...k-big-east-nebraska-chancellor-harvey-perlman

http://www.cornnation.com/2011/9/8/...-for-notre-dame-and-texas-to-the-big-ten-some

Reaction Score

It is difficult to envision a Mizzou move from the SEC to B1G and at least some fans of OU will say one of their nightmares in CR is a move of OU to the B1G with Oklahoma State and/or UT to the SEC and loss of Texas recruiting grounds.

Reaction Score
It is difficult to envision a Mizzou move from the SEC to B1G and at least some fans of OU will say one of their nightmares in CR is a move of OU to the B1G with Oklahoma State and/or UT to the SEC and loss of Texas recruiting grounds.
They have a front row seat watching what has happened with Nebraska recruiting in TX since they have been in the B1G

Dooley

Reaction Score
Relationships with Texas are weird, eh? Nobody wants to be in a conference with them as long as they have that LHN. Yet, nobody wants to lose them as a conference mate because of TX recruiting exposure.

Reaction Score
The only way that the Big Ten "would not want ND and Texas drama" is if both schools are unattainable.
At least in Texas if they shake your hand and say it's a done deal, it's a done deal. Oh, did I type that out loud?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom