Non-Key Tweets | Page 263 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Since this is the non-key thread... IIRC Flugar thinks Colorado State may be stepping up their game, athletics and academics (too lazy to look up anything about that on twitter or articles) but maybe they're a dark horse for B1G in addition to being a... uh, light horse? for the BXII. The one thing they have over Iowa State would be a new, bigger market.

Colorado State had a huge "stepping stone" problem with their coaches. They're trying to change that.

The last AD tried a little too hard and got himself fired for butting heads with the president.

The new guy is a Michigan grad. Sound familiar?

Reaction Score
Colorado State had a huge "stepping stone" problem with their coaches. They're trying to change that.

The last AD tried a little too hard and got himself fired for butting heads with the president.

The new guy is a Michigan grad. Sound familiar?
Unfortunately the "guy" who drove the UCONN athletic department square into a tree and the position we are in now was the AD there for a short time. Big Lew sent good ol' Jeff out there to get some experience as the head guy...then vouched/lobbied for him as his replacement when he left for Kansas...Funny thing though...Hathaway replaced Tom Zurich at CSU when he left there for Louisville.

pj

Reaction Score
I don't get it. The GoR is ironclad but the people who benefit from it may be unable to activate it? If 5 weak schools are left in the B12 they won't enforce the GoR because if they don't ESPN and Fox will continue to pay them, Memphis, Cincy, Houston, USF, UCF $22 mn/yr for ten more years? Why would ESPN and Fox give out so much money on top of raises for the 5 departing schools ... in order to prevent activation of an agreement designed to give them TV rights?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't get it. The GoR is ironclad but the people who benefit from it may be unable to activate it? If 5 weak schools are left in the B12 they won't enforce the GoR because if they don't ESPN and Fox will continue to pay them, Memphis, Cincy, Houston, USF, UCF $22 mn/yr for ten more years? Why would ESPN and Fox give out so much money on top of raises for the 5 departing schools ... in order to prevent activation of an agreement designed to give them TV rights?

I don't think this has any factual basis whatsoever. This dives into the gray area of collusion between the 5 departing schools, 5 remaining schools, and ESPiN/FOX. If this ever played out, then all of us poor souls sitting and waiting in AAC purgatory would have more of a legal leg to stand on to potentially sue for lost revenue damages, in my opinion. It also borders on blackmail of sorts: hey KSU/Baylor/TCU/Tech/Okielite, agree to cancel the GoR and we'll find you a home. If not, have fun playing Tulsa.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It sounds muddled, maybe it's a clause in the contract on the network's side that if certain schools leave or a certain # of schools leave then the whole contract is blown up... or something.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Sounds like if 5 schools (or 50%?) leave the B12 no longer has quorum and is, essentially, no longer the B12 unless TV approves the backfill. A nuclear option if there ever was one. Expansion would make it harder to reach 50%, I guess is the angle?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That explanation of the GOR makes no sense whatsoever.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
We always knew the GOR was an addendum to the TV deal. Find some way to alter the TV deal and the GOR could be made to go away presumably to be re voted upon once a new TV deal was negotiated.

pj

Reaction Score
Sounds like if 5 schools (or 50%?) leave the B12 no longer has quorum and is, essentially, no longer the B12 unless TV approves the backfill. A nuclear option if there ever was one. Expansion would make it harder to reach 50%, I guess is the angle?

If that's the angle, then only 3 schools need to leave to blow up the B12. Moreover, if 3 schools leave and the league blows up, the other 7 lose $22 mn/yr * 10 years each, or $1.5 bn. Sounds like a sure recipe for lawsuits. If the idea is that the networks will say, don't challenge the departures, we'll let you backfill and keep your money, why are the networks so eager to pay more money in order to let 3-5 schools leave the B12?

Reaction Score
don356 said:
It's just like everything else in realignment. The funny thing will be in 20 years(or maybe less) when all these schools will be conferencing back together based on geographical proximity and school size when all the tv money dries up.

It won't dry up but it will stagnate and in some cases back up when the value isn't there.

Reaction Score
It's just like everything else in realignment. The funny thing will be in 20 years(or maybe less) when all these schools will be conferencing back together based on geographical proximity and school size when all the tv money dries up.

I agree, though it may be more like 30 years based on current TV contracts. The one difference that it will be a combination of geography and similar schools, i.e. large state universities versus small privates.

Reaction Score
If that's the angle, then only 3 schools need to leave to blow up the B12. Moreover, if 3 schools leave and the league blows up, the other 7 lose $22 mn/yr * 10 years each, or $1.5 bn. Sounds like a sure recipe for lawsuits. If the idea is that the networks will say, don't challenge the departures, we'll let you backfill and keep your money, why are the networks so eager to pay more money in order to let 3-5 schools leave the B12?

I am not sure if this is correct or not; but, I do believe that there is a loophole somewhere within the XII GOR that allows U Texas to leave without any penalty under a certain circumstance because I can't believe that the prima donnas in Austin would ever agree to a GR that did not have an escape clause for them.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Nothing would surprise me when it comes to contracts and the language therein. At the time, TX/OU+2 had been already been courted once by the P12, AM and MU left for the SEC and the rest were looking at joining the BE leftovers. They would have signed just about anything. I assume they thought 5 was enough to keep TX, OU, TT, and OSU in line and that someone like KU wouldn't have options. If OU/KU go B1G and TX+2 go ACC or P12, then you have your 5.

I don't think that happens as I don't think the B1G actually wants either KU or OU. I think they'd take either but that wouldn't serve their mission at all. Not enough TV'S or research money and that's what we know moves the B1G.

At least he didn't mention Iowa St, so it's a least plausible if not very likely.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That explanation of the GOR makes no sense whatsoever.

It is possible that theory is right, but it seems farfetched. More likely we are witnessing a Flug/Dude twitter war and this theory is just a way to tweak the Dude.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If they can get around the GOR - Kansas and Oklahoma to the Big 10 makes too much sense to be true...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If they can get around the GOR - Kansas and Oklahoma to the Big 10 makes too much sense to be true...

Yeah and if that were to happen, then what for the B12? Seriously? Texas would probably weasel there way into the ACC/PAC or SEC and then you'll be left with the 7 orphans - with half going Mtn West and the balance to us. See you soon WV dude.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

I agree, and I think that the end game for the Big 10 is 20. 4 pods of 5.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

I would die. I would just die because it couldn't get any better than that. I would love for UConn to be in the B1G.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I can't see TV wanting more Plains states for the B1G. Corn doesn't subscribe to cable.

Reaction Score

But how do you get to 20 universities in this scenario?

Pod 1
1. Nebraska
2. Kansas ?
3. Oklahoma ?
4. ?
5. ?

Pod 2
1. Illinois
2. Iowa
3. Minnesota
4. Northwestern
5. Wisconsin

Pod 3
1. Indiana
2. Michigan
3. Michigan State
4. Ohio State
5. Purdue

Pod 4
1. Maryland
2. Penn State
3. Rutgers
4. UConn ?
5. ?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I can't see TV wanting more Plains states for the B1G. Corn doesn't subscribe to cable.

Yup. It's the ratings/content vs. population argument. OK and KS move the tv ratings needle, but they don't do anything at all for the B1G network but provide an upgrade in content. The only way OK and KS to the B1G makes sense is if you have some one who's going to foot the bill because the additional dollars from the B1G network doesn't do it. ESPN certainly doesn't seem like their willing to do it. This is a world in which MD and Rutgers are FAR more valuable than OK and KS and people can't seem to wrap their heads around it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom