Non-Key Tweets | Page 195 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
It would be very difficult to look at all the colleges in New England, large and small, from P5 to Division III, and state New England doesn't care about football. New England cares very much about football. THE GAME takes place in New England. Obviously New England evolved differently than the south so we have a different culture and different college and university demographics, and this evolution occurred long before espn. I suppose we could argue that Vandy doesn't care about academics because it is in the SEC but that would make no sense. If colleges really held all the athletes to their strict academic standards, I think we would find that there wouldn't be much difference between the areas that "care" about football and those that "don't care."

pj

Reaction Score
I get the feeling I am not really welcome. That is fine. If you would prefer to only have angry UConn fans posting about how valuavble the NE is for college football so be it. TV partners are not desperately trying to get into the Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire market for good reason. Nobody cares about football up there. In reality BC, Rutgers, and Cuse have little value as far as college football is concerned. Without a conference network Rutgers has little value to a conference either.

It's really bizarre that somehow BC, Rutgers, and Cuse are in a power conference but I suspect that has everything to do with UConn not playing FBS football until recently and confirms my statements about college football not being a big deal in the area. It's just not. This is proven when state flagship schools get outdrawn by high school games in other parts of the country. Different strokes for different folks.

Do I need to spell this out for you?
- We're talking about UConn and its pull in the Connecticut, New York, and Massachusetts markets
- In your first paragraph you say you were talking about Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire. Yet you had never mentioned that those were the schools you were referring to. You said you were talking about New England state flagship universities, which would naturally lead readers to think you meant UConn.
- In your second paragraph you go back to talking about UConn and saying that state flagship schools get outdrawn by high school games, which UConn does not. This belies your first paragraph.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Let me take a whack at this.

The first component of value is the population base and ability to exploit it via cable fees. It doesn't matter if someone actually watches; they just need to pay the cable bill.

The second component of value is advertising. This does require eyeballs on sets watching. Viewers will show up when the right games show up.

UConn, by every metric, is valuable--and stuck. Personally, it offends all sensibilities to see a school the caliber of UConn in this situation. Because of UConn's geographic positioning, New York's flagship vacuum, and top-tier branding, UConn is the great unclaimed prize in realignment.

Anger on this board? Undoubtedly. And there are some here just to share our support while we wait for the B1G to get over their issues and get UConn on board where they belong.

I, for one, really want to see UConn in the B1G basketball lineup. (Then I plan on hanging around and talking smack when the Gophers play.)

Great post except to whom it is pointed. Can't teach stupid.

Reaction Score
Anger. Now I realize I'm angry, too, and I'm not even a "real" Husky fan.

Top issues:

1. Need to be AAU.

Uh, no, need to be a top tier like-minded research institution with AAU metrics. Please explain how UConn doesn't fit.

2. Waiting for the "right" school.

Really? You could have instituted that policy pre-Rutgers.

3. Need an even number for scheduling.

Didn't you just spend twenty-some years convincing me that scheduling an odd number, as in eleven, wasn't a problem? You supposedly have the best brains in the country--figure it out. Or invite MIT.

UConn. B1G. Now.

Reaction Score
Not sure what Cal-Berkely has to do with anything other than it isn't the flagship of the SUNY system either.

Cal-Berkeley is not the official flagship of Cal, but everyone still knows it's the flagship.

When you hear central administrators saying all the time that Buffalo is the flagship, it's the flagship.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Anger. Now I realize I'm angry, too, and I'm not even a "real" Husky fan.

Top issues:

1. Need to be AAU.

Uh, no, need to be a top tier like-minded research institution with AAU metrics. Please explain how UConn doesn't fit.

2. Waiting for the "right" school.

Really? You could have instituted that policy pre-Rutgers.

3. Need an even number for scheduling.

Didn't you just spend twenty-some years convincing me that scheduling an odd number, as in eleven, wasn't a problem? You supposedly have the best brains in the country--figure it out. Or invite MIT.

UConn. B1G. Now.
Now that I've calmed down a little, am I the only one just a little bit sorry to see Roadhunter go? I mean he was such an easy target and he was erased from history, Josef Stalin-style.

On the other hand, trolls must go down and they must go down hawd...Fair thee well, RH. One for me, One for my ho-...Wait no. Two for me. You don't get none.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Cal-Berkeley is not the official flagship of Cal, but everyone still knows it's the flagship.

When you hear central administrators saying all the time that Buffalo is the flagship, it's the flagship.

Buffalo isn't the flagship.

Sorry.

You can keep saying it, but it won't change things.

Reaction Score

The only folks who I have heard call Buffalo the flagship state U of New York are folks from Buffalo's Athletic Department. Academically, Stony Brook could raise a case it is better along with Binghamton; but Binghamton does not have the graduate schools (medicine, law, etc.) that Buffalo and Stony Brook have.

US News National Universities - #88) Binghamton & Stony Brook, #103) Buffalo, #126) Albany

Reaction Score

The headquarters for the the California University system are located on the Berkley campus.
It's called the University of California, without mention of location.
Seems like the flagship to the naked eye.

Reaction Score
Cal and UCLA are the two best universities in the Cal system. Cal is the flagship although UCLA could make a case but Cal is the #1 school here in CA.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The headquarters for the the California University system are located on the Berkley campus.
The headquarters are actually in Oakland. So was CAL when it was originally founded. Its definitely, officially, one of 2 flagships (UCLA is the other) but as the oldest, and most prestigious, most people would consider CAL the flagship of the UC system. Of course, I'm biased as I grew up about 15 minutes from campus and lots of friends and family went there. I wasn't smart enough to get in. :(

Reaction Score
The only folks who I have heard call Buffalo the flagship state U of New York are folks from Buffalo's Athletic Department. Academically, Stony Brook could raise a case it is better along with Binghamton; but Binghamton does not have the graduate schools (medicine, law, etc.) that Buffalo and Stony Brook have.

US News National Universities - #88) Binghamton & Stony Brook, #103) Buffalo, #126) Albany

OK, you made me do it.

No way.

You guys really dont have any clue what you're talking about. If you wanted to do this, you'd go by department rankings, college rankings, not USNWR, which is a joke. You'd look at the National Foundation rankings. You'd look at the research. I mean, Buffalo is 4x the size of the schools you mentioned.

But it doesn't matter anyway. Go on being wrong. I've heard the word coming out of the mouths of the people who matter at SUNY Central.

Reaction Score
The headquarters are actually in Oakland. So was CAL when it was originally founded. Its definitely, officially, one of 2 flagships (UCLA is the other) but as the oldest, and most prestigious, most people would consider CAL the flagship of the UC system. Of course, I'm biased as I grew up about 15 minutes from campus and lots of friends and family went there. I wasn't smart enough to get in. :(

No, it is not officially a flagship. When others complained about it, they were told to stop calling themselves the flagship. And they said, NO. And no one can do anything about it, because everyone thinks they are the flagship. But it's not official. And I can find you the evidence of the system Presidents saying this point blank a number of times.

But again, it doesn't matter.

Reaction Score

And the HQ of SUNY is even closer to U Albany than the Cal HQ is to Berkeley.

Berkeley was the 1st. But when they put through that plan in the 50s, SD, UCLA and Irvine were made equal.

Reaction Score
So I guess SUNY.edu will be updating everyone with this news soon! Looking forward to greeting our new Buffalo masters.

pj

Reaction Score
When they changed the names from SUNY to local names like Buffalo, Stony Book, and Albany, weren't they repudiating the idea of a state flagship?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think it's time for another subforum.

Question is: Does SUNY-Buffalo need a subforum? Or is a subforum for tedious discussions as to what the Flagship is in a given state? Maybe we could combine Flagship and Landgrant discussions?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
OK, you made me do it.

No way.

You guys really dont have any clue what you're talking about. If you wanted to do this, you'd go by department rankings, college rankings, not USNWR, which is a joke. You'd look at the National Foundation rankings. You'd look at the research. I mean, Buffalo is 4x the size of the schools you mentioned.

But it doesn't matter anyway. Go on being wrong. I've heard the word coming out of the mouths of the people who matter at SUNY Central.

Look, perception is everything. Buffalo is in Buffalo, which is one of the more depressed, terrible places in the entire United States. It's not a school anyone thinks of when they think of "New York". It's pretty clearly not perceived as a flagship. 90% of the country probably thinks its a glorified community college. They are wrong, but it doesn't mean anyone is running out to buy "Buffalo Bulls" sweatshirts.

Cal on the other hand is "Cal". It's the one school in the system that doesn't need it's place name. It's also the only one where the place name is enough to recognize it. "Berkeley" is easily recognized. I"m sure UCLA is almost its equal, just as Arizona State is almost the equal of Arizona. But UCLA is largely second to USC in its own home market. This is about athletics, and Buffalo doesn't rate and isn't on anybody's radar.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom