Non-Key Tweets | Page 185 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
"Other areas"???

Dantonio just got a $2 million retention bonus, bringing his salary $5.6 million. Izzo makes $3,893,954.

...any thus one of the key grievances of student athletes who get a good education (hopefully) at 30K a year to State U; but, can't afford anything else because State U is almost broke and can't work due to NCAA rules; but, the head coach makes $5 million a year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ACC Network won't happen - ACC Doomed
ACC Network does happen - it won't make any money, ACC Doomed
ACC Network makes money - it doesn't make enough money, ACC Doomed
ACC Network makes lots of money - ticket sales are too small, ACC Doomed

Every chapter in the Book of Kook always has the same ending.
Mmm, setting aside the conclusion which of those statements is the most accurate currently?

Reaction Score
That the ACC pulled in more money last year than any conference except the SEC...that is the current.

The future is what may be of concern.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2014/12/08/college-football-playoff-conference-payouts/

Those numbers were specific to last year.

Keep in mind that two of the contract bowls – the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl – are semifinal sites, meaning their contracts with the Big Ten/Pac-12 and SEC/Big XII, respectively, are not in play this year. In the years those games are played, each of those conferences will receive $40 million for playing in those games.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think it's a mix of both. Our best high school sports are probably in this order: basketball, then football or baseball, followed by hockey.

This, though, really isn't fair to hockey because more than in any other sport, the best players go to private high schools either in state or out of state that play in leagues akin to small college conferences, or they're playing juniors or even National Development Team and not playing in public high school.

But in terms of how many kids go pro relative to how many roster spots there are, we probably produce more NHLers than pros in any other sport.

Football is big here, but mostly to watch. The Giants and Patriots, and to a lesser extent, the Jets, are wildly popular but it seems more kids are finding success in baseball, basketball and hockey.

UConn's success in basketball I think has had a lot to do with a lot of basketball being played. Having had the Whalers way back when has led to a generation of kids coming into the NHL within the past decade or so, and baseball has always been huge here due to the proximity of the Yankees and Red Sox and their epic rivalry.

Soccer is strong (although CA is just dominant). I'd put soccer after basketball in terms of talent, and hockey is ahead of football and baseball in terms of D1 talent (I'm counting the prep kids, they are still CT high schools). But the state has certainly produced some football players over the years (nobody mentioned Steve Young).

Reaction Score

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
OoooooooooooOooooooooooOoooooo how cryptic.

Reaction Score
The Dude has been waiting for his "I told you so" moment for about 4 years. He's pretty much put every other possible CR scenario out there at one point or another, so when anything does happen...he's right, he can say I told you so.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 4h 4 hours ago
@Expansion_Crush Sure...but the economics is demanding expansion... If donors front the money. BTN has made hockey profitable. Hockey was...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 4h 4 hours ago
@Expansion_Crush ....always profitable for Minnesota and Wisconsin... But never for 95% of college hockey programs. But things have changed

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 3h 3 hours ago
@frankthetank111 @JGonStrib I think it's going happen. Arizona St Associate AD says they want to play like insututions.

Arizona St possibility of entering the Big Ten for hockey only had raised some other possibilities. Who would be team #8? We know NEB/NW/..

...would not be ready to join the Big Ten a Hockey even if they made the decision today to create D1 hockey. So who would join Arizona St?

It is interesting that the first 2 schools Arizona St had scheduled for next year adventure into D1 Independent Hockey is Wisconsin & UCONN

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 37m 37 minutes ago
I will probably lose over half of my followers in the next 10 minutes...but after talking to a contact for last 25 minutes...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 35m 35 minutes ago
...this Potential ASU to the Big Ten for hockey only is more fascinating than even I thought. Bear with me for a moment..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 32m 32 minutes ago
There are obvious reasons why FOX/PACN/BTN would want ASU to choose the big Ten in Hockey over the very viable NCHC. But having...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 31m 31 minutes ago
....the Big Ten actually accept ASU in the hockey league would be telling a story of big importance in future realignment landscape.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 30m 30 minutes ago
Arizona St in the B1G hockey league would be admitting a non AAU for partial membership. Now it's only for hockey..and will remain so....

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 27m 27 minutes ago
...but still. If Delany and FOX are talking with ASU for Hockey...like it was reported earlier today...what's to say Delany is not talking..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 26m 26 minutes ago
...with other non AAU hockey programs that would bring in another market for BTN/FOX to start monetizing. Although I have discussed in the..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 25m 25 minutes ago
...in the last year how UCONN has improved themselves with Big Ten metrics based upon increasing dedication to big research..I have never..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 24m 24 minutes ago
...given much credit to the UCONN hockey program to increasing its chances to receive a future full Big Ten invite. I may have been dead...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 23m 23 minutes ago
..wrong. The very fact that it's been confirmed ASU & Big Ten is talking... Makes it all very viable a UCONN can become school #8 in B1G hky

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 21m 21 minutes ago
If ASU becomes #7 in 2 yrs...#8 won't come from NEB/I'll/NW...there is no way they would be ready in 2 years to join with ASU. You need ...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 20m 20 minutes ago
...an even number of teams in a college hockey conf. So who would be #8? Follow this logic...it now doesn't have to be AAU. ASU won't be ..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 19m 19 minutes ago
...in the Big Ten hockey forever...that is not their goal...they want to build PAC hockey. So Delany wouldn't be looking for a western...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 18m 18 minutes ago
...travel partner. Right?....not for the ARizona St addition. So what current hockey program already running would be #8? North Dakota?...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 18m 18 minutes ago
....I don't think so. ND had brilliant hockey...great culture...but the addition of ASU bring in big market. Clear college hockey past..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 16m 16 minutes ago
...is not playing a factor in decision of bringing in Arizona St. I think #8 is all about...will be about bringing in new East Coast market.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 15m 15 minutes ago
That bring us to Boston College....Boston U....UCONN. Remember....FOX would be the great pusher...BC is out. So Boston U?....never leave BC

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 14m 14 minutes ago
So if you follow my twisted logic....an Arizona St to the Big Ten Hockey could very well lead to UCONzn in hockey? Follow me?....
1f603.png

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 13m 13 minutes ago
In conclusion: Arizona St in Big Ten hockey in 2 years will bring in a need for #8. Delany is making friends in the East. Just saying.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 11m 11 minutes ago
Calling Mrs Herbst....Calling Mrs Herbst Please answer the telephone. This scenario was brought to you by in place source.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 3m 3 minutes ago
@sully317 don't get me wrong...this is twisted logic...but it does have something to it. If ASU gets admitted it opens up possibilities

Reaction Score
A week or two ago, Flug was saying BU would leave BC. He's a bit off the deep end on this one. UConn has a better shot at being a full B1G member than a hockey-only B1G member. Team #8 far more likely to be an existing B1G school making the jump.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 22m 22 minutes ago
There is zero chance that a hockey program starting from the ground up would be ready in time (NEB/NW/ILL) to join Big Ten Hockey in 2017.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 21m 21 minutes ago
So if Arizona St would enter the Big Ten Hockey conf in 2017 ( 2017 is the plan to join a conference) #8 has to come from existing program

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 56m56 minutes ago
..wrong. The very fact that it's been confirmed ASU & Big Ten is talking... Makes it all very viable a UCONN can become school #8 in B1G hky

Ben Desrochers ‏@desrochers_ben · 12m12 minutes ago
@flugempire unless guarantee for all sports, why leave the best hockey conference and add lots more travel?

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire
@desrochers_ben Good question. But Big Ten is...and will broaden gap of how much profitable it is vs Hockey East. UCONN would yes...IMO...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 10m 10 minutes ago
@desrochers_ben ...and then work on the rest of what they need to do to get full admittance.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 8m 8 minutes ago
I've been asked... So will answer. I never said BU to the Big Ten in hockey. I brought it up for duscussion...in fact I said didn't think so

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 6m 6 minutes ago
I'm not saying UCONN to Big Ten Hockey either...but the posdibilty of it happening Has grown greatly. Please read my timeline on BU if ?

Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub · 6m6 minutes ago
@flugempire hockey and basketball area major reason why BTN will begin to dwarf the SEC network $. Live content that rates in the Northeast

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 5m 5 minutes ago
@NebGradDubDub Yep...exactly. I don't think many people understand BTN business model of adding content and eyeballs = >>>AD buys

@NebGradDubDub and 49% of those AD buys go into Big Ten school coffers...eventually. This is why Arizons St-UCONN for 2017 in hockey haslegs

@NebGradDubDub NEB/NW hockey will come later...in 2017 it will be Arizona St & ?. I think it will be east coast... Could be Uconn

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 4m 4 minutes ago
When I mentioned Big 12 wrestling was expanding a couple of weeks ago...only a few believed me. When I discussed how the success of ..

...of hockey on the BTN demanded big Ten hockey expansion and it was worth talking about BU...people on the east coast sneered at me.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 2m 2 minutes ago
The fact that Arizona St and Big Ten are truly talking about Big Ten expsnsion hockey...makes a UCONN to Big Ten hockey event more viable.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
UConn to B1G as hockey-ONLY is a nonstarter. Right now we will go to the first league to offer full membership.

Reaction Score
UConn to B1G as hockey-ONLY is a nonstarter. Right now we will go to the first league to offer full membership.
UConn to B1G for Hockey only doesn't make a lot of sense. IMO it would mean one of two things: i) We've been told that they need us for hockey now and we'll be added in all sports at some point in the near future; or ii) We are so desperate to get into the B1G that we decided it was worth added travel costs and a weaker league to get closer relationships with all of the schools. Unfortunately, we wouldn't really know which was true.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
If it gets my foot in the door, I would move the hockey to the B1G. It might also make joining the B1G down the road a little/lot easier. We would still have every other sport in the AAC and could jump at the first full invite. It's not like joining the ACC (Atlantic Cheating Conference?) would require us to move our hockey again.
I'm thinking we should rename this thread Blue Ball Tweets. Reading them gets me excited, but the money shot never arrives. I'm just left fragile and in pain the next day.

Reaction Score
1. Flugaur writes way too concisely and clearly to be HFD. But any chance he's HFD's smarter, nerdy half brother or something?

2. The thought that adding UConn hocket to the BTN is going to make a material difference to expanding the reach and cost of the BTN in New York and New England is so ridicuous that it makes me long for posters putting Rice on a list of possible schools that would go ahead of us in expansion. Our mens hoops programs would sell subscriptions. So would our women's hoops program. But the thought that anyone in NYC, or even more than a smidgen in Connecticut, would be happy to pay $5 a month for another sports network for an occasional UConn hockey game is absurd.

3. Absent backing up the truck and throwing UConn an amount of money that, after the added travel costs, is material to our athletic department as a whole, the thought of UConn wanting to move out of Hockey East to play in the Big Ten is equally absurd.

So if our hoops programs don't get us into the Big Ten, hockey certainly doesn't, and there is no realistic way we are worth enough money to the Big Ten just as a hockey program to generate being paid the silly money it would take to change a bus travel schedule to an airplane one.

But other than that, it's a great idea.

Reaction Score
A foot in the door is better than one in the a**
To make a move for Hockey only now would seem to signal some time table in place for full membership coming down the road, otherwise it doesn't make that much sense.

Reaction Score
If there is anything to it, it means we will be full members in the Big Ten for all sports soon. I don't think Delaney would be fooling anybody by inviting us for hockey only and then pretending that we weren't up for full membership. Biz is right, we wouldn't move hockey for the sake of moving hockey.

Reaction Score
There's no real requirement to keep the members balanced for Hockey.

Even if the ASU thing is true they can just stop at 7 members. There's no need to add an 8th program just to even out the numbers.

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
The only way it makes sense is if UConn is going to the B1G in all sports but hockey can leave earlier (short notice to Hockey East, 27 months to AAC) and they implement and announce the hockey move before the subsequent all-sports move.

Reaction Score
I have always been a proponent of a partial invite to the Big10 with a full invite to follow. UConn hoops and olympic sports to join in 2017 and football to follow in 2024.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom