Non-Key Tweets | Page 838 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I am pretty sure Memphis visit by Yormark is a backup plan just in case no PAC-12 teams are available.
I appreciate it's not a P5 add and from the B12 perspective it's not as good as Colorado, but I think from a pure UConn perspective a UConn/Memphis only add is a little more attractive

Reaction Score
I appreciate it's not a P5 add and from the B12 perspective it's not as good as Colorado, but I think from a pure UConn perspective a UConn/Memphis only add is a little more attractive.

Yes if we go with Memphis only it will just be a super AAC with much more money.

B12 will be much more attractive if they can get some of the Pac-12 teams.

Reaction Score
Yes if we go with Memphis only it will just be a super AAC with much more money.

I agree. I really like the idea of three flagships joining. Us, CO, and AZ. Been trying to think of a fourth. Could be Utah but BYU is there.
Don’t like the idea of Memphis at all.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score

It’s more preferable than SDSU

Reaction Score
Serious question:

Has anyone who is now overly concerned about Memphis ever performed due diligence? Do any of you understand what the term means?

If Memphis was on a list of candidates to consider (I believe they have been for as long as we have) there is no way Yormark can bring proposals back without having looked at all candidates.

Over a four decade career in corporate accounting/corporate finance I've worked on countless teams performing due diligence for potential deals, investments, loans, etc. In most cases the end result is the determination that it is not worth pursuing.
Louisville... ACC...

Reaction Score
I agree. I really like the idea of three flagships joining. Us, CO, and AZ. Been trying to think of a fourth. Could be Utah but BYU is there.
I too liked the idea of 3 or more flagships as i felt it would go a long way toward giving the Big12 an edge toward becoming the clear #3 P5 league, but honestly I'll take what we can get if its available. It would also have WVU, Cincinnati, UCF, UConn, and Memphis in kind of an Eastern wing.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
My gut sense was that it just means a Yormark visit isn't that serious

Doing due diligence sounds more of a courtesy call in that they were invited to come, but you know…. Rule #1.

Reaction Score
4th is SDSU... with that add they'd get 4 Top 25 MBB teams (current 2023/24 preseason rankings) in one swoop... in total that would give the Big 12, SEVEN projected Top 25 MBB teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SW AIM SHOW@GSw aim · 2h
#Big12 finally set a cutoff date, apparently at July 1st for #Pac12 teams to either move or stay, but this should be done one way or another by then. Thank goodness...I want my life back!!

SW AIM SHOW@GSw aim · 1h
I've always said that if I ever get old and sick enough that I don't want to live. So without #USC, #UCLA, #Ducks, #UDub, #Buffs and #BearDown, does the rest of the #Pac12 schools even want to survive at that point?!

SW AIM SHOW@GSw aim · 1h
Anyone else think Swarbrick chose now to bow out, so that when #NotreDame eventually joins the #B1G he won't be the one to make that move. Will the Irish even get what they want from
@NBCSports?

SW AIM SHOW@GSw aim · 1h
What caused the #Buffs to reschedule (date/time TBA) their meeting? Apparently the #B1G is having very serious talks with both the #Ducks and #UDub and that's causing consternation in the P12 world. #Shocked

Reaction Score
Memphis is not a threat. They're another so-so team in the central time zone. 10/14 of the current big 12 are in that time zone. Adding another central does not expand the footprint of your conference.

GG

Reaction Score
Memphis is not a threat. They're another so-so team in the central time zone. 10/14 of the current big 12 are in that time zone. Adding another central does not expand the footprint of your conference.
Agree. Flugar still does not have them in the PATC theatre. He says tbe order is CO, AZ, ASU, UTAH & then UCONN. Swaim says no Memphis this time around.

Reaction Score
It’s more preferable than SDSU
Aside from Memphis’ relative proximity to CT, what’s more preferable versus SDSU and San Diego?

Final 4 SDSU vs Hardaway
Football programs, toss up
Destination, nope
Academic rep, not close
?

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Aside from Memphis’ relative proximity to CT, what’s more preferable versus SDSU and San Diego?

Final 4 SDSU vs Hardaway
Football programs, toss up
Destination, nope
Academic rep, not close
?
Arguably better brand but basically it’s east of the Mississippi rather than on the west coast

Reaction Score
Arguably better brand but basically it’s east of the Mississippi rather than on the west coast
Noted relative proximity in previous question, but which university and athletic program potentially adds more value in Big XII, Yormark, consultants, university leaders/advisory calculations?

#30 San Diego market vs #52 Memphis? West coast school for late game broadcast. Possible alumni and other fans of other schools (e.g., military?, LDS? etc)? Relative SD vs Memphis socioeconomic spending potential? Don’t know, thought you might have and share some helpful insights.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

[Shrugs]. We go either way.

Reaction Score

So in retrospect, was the AAC worth more money? Did Aresco screw up? I’m not saying the AAC was worth 40M a year but it seems it was worth more than the deal he struck.

Reaction Score
Noted relative proximity in previous question, but which university and athletic program potentially adds more value in Big XII, Yormark, consultants, university leaders/advisory calculations?

#30 San Diego market vs #52 Memphis? West coast school for late game broadcast. Possible alumni and other fans of other schools (e.g., military?, LDS? etc)? Relative SD vs Memphis socioeconomic spending potential? Don’t know, thought you might have and share some helpful insights.
Just from experience I would say that Memphis alumni and those who attend sporting events in general don't live in the city limits of Memphis for the most part. They live in Germantown and Collierville which both have average household incomes north of 100,000. They also in DeSoto county Mississippi just South of the border. Memphis supports a pro basketball team which has something about disposable income and where it goes.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If the P12 holds together at 10 for a 5-6 year deal, it seemingly becomes a bridge to what?

1) for Oregon/Wash a bridge to the B1G
2) for CO, AZ, etc more time to evaluate a B12 future
3) for all the others, more time to look at an ACC-PAC dual coast conf.

Somehow we will get to a P2, P3 or P4 world by 2030...someone will fold/melt/dissolve/partner us down to 4.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If the P12 holds together at 10 for a 5-6 year deal, it seemingly becomes a bridge to what?

1) for Oregon/Wash a bridge to the B1G
2) for CO, AZ, etc more time to evaluate a B12 future
3) for all the others, more time to look at an ACC-PAC dual coast conf.

Somehow we will get to a P2, P3 or P4 world by 2030...someone will fold/melt/dissolve/partner us down to 4.
Their hope (basically what all members of the P-12, ACC & B-12 who know they won't have a home in the SEC or B1G hope) is that when the big two complete their final expansions, their current home will take members from one (or both) of the other two.

At the moment the B-12 is in a position to grab B-12 schools. The possibility exists that in 8-10 years the situation could reverse. This is what is keeping whoever plans on remaining in the P-12 long term are hoping for.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Their hope (basically what all members of the P-12, ACC & B-12 who know they won't have a home in the SEC or B1G hope) is that when the big two complete their final expansions, their current home will take members from one (or both) of the other two.

At the moment the B-12 is in a position to grab B-12 schools. The possibility exists that in 8-10 years the situation could reverse. This is what is keeping whoever plans on remaining in the P-12 long term are hoping for.
Yes, exactly.....there will be a short reprieve on CRA after this current situation settles....very short and then we will spend the balance of this decade on that three way battle of the P12-B12-ACC for who kills who to survive.

And you can see scenarios where BC, Washington St and Oregon State are left behind....

In banking parlance, the P12 is in "extend and pretend" mode.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom