Non-Key Tweets | Page 708 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Strong moonshine dis mornin.

I told you I just got back from Austin. Did you think I was just eating gas station BBQ at Rudy's or something?

Reaction Score
Read from bottom to top :
  1. MHver3 ‏@MHver3Protected Tweets 42m42 minutes ago
  2. Basically going as far as to say that even if we lose Oklahoma after GOR is up then we will be just fine as long as test stays together.
  3. 0 replies 0 retweets 4 likes

1. MHver3 ‏@MHver3Protected Tweets 43m43 minutes ago
  2. UT will support 4 additions of any combination of those still in the running.
  3. 0 replies 0 retweets 8 likes

1. MHver3 ‏@MHver3Protected Tweets 44m44 minutes ago
  2. And that B10 trend of smaller year contracts will be the way to go for the foreseeable future.
  3. 0 replies 0 retweets 1 like

1. MHver3 ‏@MHver3Protected Tweets 45m45 minutes ago
  2. Also UT is telling everyone that a GOR renewal is bad for the league long-term financially
  3. 0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes

1. MHver3 ‏@MHver3Protected Tweets 46m46 minutes ago
  2. Texas president has called every B12 member president today assuring them that they are in this conference long-term
  3. 0 replies 0 retweets 3 likes

Reaction Score
Not that these last couple tweets hold any weight, but 4 of any combination would surely include UConn, right? And the wording of "any combination" implies that they are alright if Houston isn't one of the 4?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Not that these last couple tweets hold any weight, but 4 of any combination would surely include UConn, right? And the wording of "any combination" implies that they are alright if Houston isn't one of the 4?

Ultimate kick in the nads....Tulane as #4 with UConn as the bridesmaid.

Reaction Score
UT doesn't really want Houston

The risk for UConn is if the go after the FL schools in some combination I would think

pj

Reaction Score
I look at this way, Tulane is in a better position than most to elevate their athletics program given they are in a state w/o a strong #2 school, they have a destination city in New Orleans, they have a respected national alumni base and with strong academics. It won't be easy, but Tulane has a better foundation to work with than many. University Presidents would much rather associate with Tulane than Boise St, Memphis or Coastal Carolina. It wont be easy and yes, they may be too late to start, but they do have better pieces to work with than others. Their position however is certainly not better than ours, Houston's, BYU's or Cincy's.

Boston College is in a better position than most to elevate their athletic program, as they are in a state without a strong #1 school, they have a destination city in Boston, they have a respected national alumni base and strong academics. It won't be easy, but I think they have a chance.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Boston College is in a better position than most to elevate their athletic program, as they are in a state without a strong #1 school, they have a destination city in Boston, they have a respected national alumni base and strong academics. It won't be easy, but I think they have a chance.

Touche!

But in every league there has to be a loser. Better the loser be a Vandy, NW or gulp Wake than a Memphis, UAB or Fresno.

The model after all is the B1G and their weak schools athletically can at least carry academic weight.

Reaction Score
If we aren't pressing right now, the administration deserves its fate. I will say it again, ESPN wants us in the American. We need to work hard to make sure we get in if we have any chance at all.

I feel like UConn was quick to tell the media B12 expansion seemed dead in June to manage expectations and then Benedict told fans at a tailgate that we were a long shot. It seems like we need an attitude adjustment and a marketing class.

Reaction Score
If we aren't pressing right now, the administration deserves its fate. I will say it again, ESPN wants us in the American. We need to work hard to make sure we get in if we have any chance at all.

I feel like UConn was quick to tell the media B12 expansion seemed dead in June to manage expectations and then Benedict told fans at a tailgate that we were a long shot. It seems like we need an attitude adjustment and a marketing class.

If public perception actually mattered at all, maybe you'd be right.

Reaction Score
If public perception actually mattered at all, maybe you'd be right.

It isn't just about public perception. We are single handedly making the AAC a huge winner for ESPN. ESPN is telling the B12 we have no significant value. They then proceed to broadcast all of our men's and women's basketball games and many of our football games. UConn basketball makes the AAC a cash cow for ESPN. The leaders in the B12 are not being told that.

It is the job of UConn brass to make our value known and do some marketing in the media and through back channels. Our leaders should exude confidence and should make statements in the press that push that agenda. Everyone thought UL was worth money. Why? Jurich sold it. He pushed the right buttons. Yes, they won some football games at the time but they were awful just a couple years prior. We just aren't getting it done in that department and there really is no excuse for it at this point. If I said to Susan Herbst, "Why haven't we turned the tide in public opinion and why doesn't anyone know our story for what it truly is?", her answer of "well we're trying" or "we're winners either way" should be considered unacceptable. Go on sports talk shows and preach the story, call AP writers offering an all access story, get involved in every way possible to control the narrative. It has never been done and I'm so tired of it.

Reaction Score
We just aren't getting it done in that department and there really is no excuse for it at this point. If I said to Susan Herbst, "Why haven't we turned the tide in public opinion and why doesn't anyone know our story for what it truly is?", her answer of "well we're trying" or "we're winners either way" should be considered unacceptable. Go on sports talk shows and preach the story, call AP writers offering an all access story, get involved in every way possible to control the narrative. It has never been done and I'm so tired of it.

This. Does. Not. Matter. Media narrative does not sway conference Presidents.

Louisville got in because the ACC schools wanted a better football program. Jurich didn't have to persuade anyone of that, they were (and are) that.

Reaction Score
Barring a miracle, both Bates and Adazzio are expected to be terminated after this season,I'm hearing from more than one reliable person that is in close contact with a couple of members of the Board of Trustees at BC. Leahy ultimately calls the shots there at BC, but Leahy does tend to rubber stamp what the Board wants.

Reaction Score
MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 4h4 hours ago
Gordon Gee is going to be backing expansion this weekend. He wants to add 4. UC, Uconn, BYU, and Tulane. At least 4 others

Tulane gets the required 8 out of 10 votes required for B12 admittance ? Over Houston ? I suppose anythings possible, but this sure would be a shocker. I thought we had already heard before that B12 expansion, without adding Houston, would be a non starter without Houston. The influential Texas State Legislators that vote on state monies for the current Texas schools already in the B12 , would not look too kindly on this, we've been told. Whats changed ? Oh well, guess we'll know soon enough on all this, one way or the other.

Reaction Score
Barring a miracle, both Bates and Adazzio are expected to be terminated after this season.

Rumors are Bates is already interviewing for other jobs... he knows his contract isn't being renewed. No secret.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UT will support 4 additions of any combination of those still in the running.
Waat? Good news if true.

Reaction Score

Louisville got in because the ACC schools wanted a better football program. Jurich didn't have to persuade anyone of that, they were (and are) that.

UL did the job I am describing perfectly. They did everything they could to appear strong. Jurich made the rounds on sports radio almost daily. The guy was everywhere, along with Oliver Luck for two years. UL football was abysmal just a year or two prior to them getting in the ACC. We beat them the week before they were invited. They sold that they were serious about success and a "southern football school". The ACC went that route because they needed strong football and perception was that UL was strong in football. How did UL accomplish that reputation in two seasons? They beat the drum and made sure everyone forgot how bad they were.

The idea that perception doesn't matter is laughable. Perception got UL into a P5 conference. They were good for two minutes and used it to their advantage masterfully. You can say, "well they've kept it up". Of course they have, they hired a guy that was radioactive to most schools to stay on top.

College presidents care about a lot of things. Among them are revenue, prestige, research and endowments. Showing them how UConn can create revenue for all members through exposure and how it can help them tap into great northeastern applicants from wealthy families through exposure and familiarity is critical.

Without strong public perception, you better be in New Jersey. If we had created strong public perception ahead of this, media would have us as a no brainer addition. The Big 12 needs a couple of no brainer additions. The fact we are so misunderstood is crazy at this point. Everyone should know how strong UConn is and when someone questions our football our AD should say, "Bob Diaco is going to win a lot of games here and if he doesn't, we'll get someone who will". Have some fire and some passion in the media. Be heard for once.

Reaction Score

At the very least major donors have an AD's or president's ear. UConn has let the media tell its story, and perception of UConn might be at its lowest today.

Reaction Score
UL did the job I am describing perfectly. They did everything they could to appear strong. Jurich made the rounds on sports radio almost daily. The guy was everywhere, along with Oliver Luck for two years. UL football was abysmal just a year or two prior to them getting in the ACC. We beat them the week before they were invited. They sold that they were serious about success and a "southern football school". The ACC went that route because they needed strong football and perception was that UL was strong in football. How did UL accomplish that reputation in two seasons? They beat the drum and made sure everyone forgot how bad they were.

The idea that perception doesn't matter is laughable. Perception got UL into a P5 conference. They were good for two minutes and used it to their advantage masterfully. You can say, "well they've kept it up". Of course they have, they hired a guy that was radioactive to most schools to stay on top.

Without strong public perception, you better be in New Jersey. If we had created strong public perception ahead of this, media would have us as a no brainer addition. The Big 12 needs a couple of no brainer additions. The fact we are so misunderstood is crazy at this point. Everyone should know how strong UConn is and when someone questions our football our AD should say, "Bob Diaco is going to win a lot of games here and if he doesn't, we'll get someone who will". Have some fire and some passion in the media. Be heard for once.

Louisville has made bowls 15/18 years. That's not perception. They were bad very briefly a few years before getting invited, but had winning seasons for 2 years in a row under new head coach and were 10-2 when they were invited. They had a bigger athletic budget than us at the time. That's not perception.

Considering the public perception at the time was that UConn was a shoe-in, I'm not sure how well Jurich did the job you claim he did anyways..

Perception. Does. Not. Matter.

College presidents care about a lot of things. Among them are revenue, prestige, research and endowments. Showing them how UConn can create revenue for all members through exposure and how it can help them tap into great northeastern applicants from wealthy families through exposure and familiarity is critical. .

I am 100% sure that UConn did this in their proposals and meetings. This has nothing to do with public perception.

Reaction Score
Louisville has made bowls 15/18 years. That's not perception. They were bad very briefly a few years before getting invited, but had winning seasons for 2 years in a row under new head coach and were 10-2 when they were invited. They had a bigger athletic budget than us at the time. That's not perception.

Considering the public perception at the time was that UConn was a shoe-in, I'm not sure how well Jurich did the job you claim he did anyways..

Perception. Does. Not. Matter.

I am 100% sure that UConn did this in their proposals and meetings. This has nothing to do with public perception.

People. Perceiving. UConn. As. Good. Enough. For. Admission. Won't. Help. Got. It.

Reaction Score
People. Perceiving. UConn. As. Good. Enough. For. Admission. Won't. Help. Got. It.

Public perception and media narrative won't help it, correct, which was what you were suggesting in your posts. You're suggesting that marketing is the solution and the failing of the administration. You suggested they haven't done the proper back-channeling also, but have no evidence to support this claim.

The Presidents perceiving UConn as good enough is the only thing that matters. but that comes from tangible market numbers, attendance figures, budgets, academic ranking, etc. It's laughable that you don't think the B12 knows UConn's value to ESPN in the AAC. They hired consultants to tell them the value of each school; UConn definitely told them that at our presentation.

Reaction Score
Public perception and media narrative won't help it, correct, which was what you were suggesting in your posts. You're suggesting that marketing is the solution and the failing of the administration. You suggested they haven't done the proper back-channeling also, but have no evidence to support this claim.

The Presidents perceiving UConn as good enough is the only thing that matters. but that comes from tangible market numbers, attendance figures, budgets, academic ranking, etc. It's laughable that you don't think the B12 knows UConn's value to ESPN in the AAC. They hired consultants to tell them the value of each school; UConn definitely told them that at our presentation.
No one knows what this administration has done behind the scenes. All we do know is that schools with less success, smaller markets or market presence, and comparable academic prestige such as Pitt, TCU, WVU, Louisville and Syracuse have all found a home in the P5. If you want to excuse the administration for this that is your choice, but I'm inclined to think they share major blame in this debacle.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
No one knows what this administration has done behind the scenes. All we do know is that schools with less success, smaller markets or market presence, and comparable academic prestige such as Pitt, TCU, WVU, Louisville and Syracuse have all found a home in the P5. If you want to excuse the administration for this that is your choice, but I'm inclined to think they share major blame in this debacle.
No offense muddler but stating the above five schools all have had less success than UConn illustrates a severe lack of understanding as to what this is all about. Football success (which to date we can claim a decent four year run) is more important than all other sports combined.

Reaction Score

The worst football school (in recent years) on that list is Syracuse, whose worst average football attendance ever at the carrier dome (32,000) occurred recently. It was 4,000 fans more than we averaged last year. It's just one metric, but illustrative of the gap in actual football value and success between us and those schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom