Non-Key Tweets | Page 602 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
As stupid as they are I don't see them committing the long-term suicide of adding four teams - fighting the pro-rata in the courts and hoping new bidders arrive by the time their deal ends.

The likelihood of any kind of promise or expected behavior (non-contractual) being honored 9-10 years in the future is slim-to-none. The networks are businesses, they will do what is best for the business (in their judgment, such as it is) at that point in time. It's entirely possible the entire landscape changes by then.

The Big XII needs to do what it feels is in the conferences best interest, but expecting some back room agreement with an executive at a network who may or may not be in the same position and with players that may or may not represent the best future partners in a changing landscape; would be foolish at best. It doesn't mean it's impossible that it happens, but thinking a hand-shake will carry the day a decade down the road is (IMO) a poor bet.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma and Texas(and the rest of the b12) are in a long term deal right now that they have whether or not they like it or not. In today's media world, 8 years is an eternity. Regardless of what the conference does now in terms of membership, the $'s are not really impacted by adding viewers, just teams. These are fickle and ever changing markets. They've got quite a bit of time to develop the content side of it regardless of where they go given the duration of that contract. However, the content is not always based on results on the field. A lot of the b10's success is due to having schools in large rural states whereby there is little else going on except to follow that team. That could change over time with demographics, delivery options etc. Some fan bases will continue to follow if the results on the field are not good, while some will not. It's not a simple decision on whom to go with, but i do think they have limits geographically on how spread out they want to be which in the case of the b12 hurts Uconn.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The likelihood of any kind of promise or expected behavior (non-contractual) being honored 9-10 years in the future is slim-to-none. The networks are businesses, they will do what is best for the business (in their judgment, such as it is) at that point in time. It's entirely possible the entire landscape changes by then.

The Big XII needs to do what it feels is in the conferences best interest, but expecting some back room agreement with an executive at a network who may or may not be in the same position and with players that may or may not represent the best future partners in a changing landscape; would be foolish at best. It doesn't mean it's impossible that it happens, but thinking a hand-shake will carry the day a decade down the road is (IMO) a poor bet.
bingo

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Matt Schonvisky ‏@MattSchonvisky 54s55 seconds ago
"I cannot comment on that" #UConn AD David Benedict when asked if he or Herbst have been to Texas or if Big 12 officials have been to Storrs
Way to go Matt.

home_page.jpg

Reaction Score
Again show your math - show the evidence of the invites or pipe down about it - because their actions show the exact opposite to be the case.

This is the kind of nonsense that people spew with no evidence or business case behind it.

Ok I'll bite on this one...the math is there.

Currently FOX/ESPN are paying a premium price for 10 Big12 schools of which only a handful are true national players. How many anchors schools would the Big12 need to lose to insure ESPN can start paying AAC rates to the remainder of the Big12? At a minimum I'd say UT needs to go, OU needs to go and a schools like Kansas and maybe even an OSU would insure it.

Here is the math....let's say Big12 teams currently get $30 million per team so $30m x 10 = $300 million. What if ESPN paid the BIG/SEC/ACC an extra $40 million per school to take on UT, OU and Kansas.? That would cost the network $120 million. But then on the next Big12 deal ESPN/Fox only paid the remaining 7 teams $10 million each. The math becomes $120 million for UT/OU/KU + $70 million for the remaining 7 Big12 schools = $190 million. This is opposed to the current $300 million the networks are paying. $300 million > $190 million so it could benefit the BIG/SEC/ACC/PAC to pay above market rates for an OU to insure the BIG12 either implodes or is relegated to the market position of the AAC.

Your argument that the best way to get a deal with ESPN is to keep them happy does not hold water. The BIG got its monster contract when it refused ESPN's initial offer and took the contract to open market. The ACC only got its ACCN when it enacted the $45 million penalty clause and financially compelled ESPN to build a network. The Big12 should take full advantage of the pro-rata clause now. If ESPN made a stupid deal that is on them. No one is saying ESPN should voluntarily pay the AAC more money cause ESPN made a great deal on the AAC.

If destroying/degrading the Big12 benefits ESPN/FOX they will do so and playing nice now won't change that....the math is there. Pittsburgh/Syracuse/Boston College may not be worth $30 million but the money being withheld to the AAC teams make up for the overpay BC is receiving. Paying BC/Pitt/Cuse was the cost of killing the Big East.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There is zero doubt there has been contact. It's the next question we all need answered, and he absolutely cannot comment on that one.

Reaction Score
Ok I'll bite on this one...the math is there.

Currently FOX/ESPN are paying a premium price for 10 Big12 schools of which only a handful are true national players. How many anchors schools would the Big12 need to lose to insure ESPN can start paying AAC rates to the remainder of the Big12? At a minimum I'd say UT needs to go, OU needs to go and a schools like Kansas and maybe even an OSU would insure it.

Here is the math....let's say Big12 teams currently get $30 million per team so $30m x 10 = $300 million. What if ESPN paid the BIG/SEC/ACC an extra $40 million per school to take on UT, OU and Kansas.? That would cost the network $120 million. But then on the next Big12 deal ESPN/Fox only paid the remaining 7 teams $10 million each. The math becomes $120 million for UT/OU/KU + $70 million for the remaining 7 Big12 schools = $190 million. This is opposed to the current $300 million the networks are paying. $300 million > $190 million so it could benefit the BIG/SEC/ACC/PAC to pay above market rates for an OU to insure the BIG12 either implodes or is relegated to the market position of the AAC.

Your argument that the best way to get a deal with ESPN is to keep them happy does not hold water. The BIG got its monster contract when it refused ESPN's initial offer and took the contract to open market. The ACC only got its ACCN when it enacted the $45 million penalty clause and financially compelled ESPN to build a network. The Big12 should take full advantage of the pro-rata clause now. If ESPN made a stupid deal that is on them. No one is saying ESPN should voluntarily pay the AAC more money cause ESPN made a great deal on the AAC.

If destroying/degrading the Big12 benefits ESPN/FOX they will do so and playing nice now won't change that....the math is there. Pittsburgh/Syracuse/Boston College may not be worth $30 million but the money being withheld to the AAC teams make up for the overpay BC is receiving. Paying BC/Pitt/Cuse was the cost of killing the Big East.
You nailed it! Nicely done.

Reaction Score
There is zero doubt there has been contact. It's the next question we all need answered, and he absolutely cannot comment on that one.
It would have been even more telling if each of the two parts of that question were asked separately. If we've been to Texas, that's good. If they've been to Storrs, that's even better.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
If they really have the contractual hammer and use it to add 4 schools they are taking a huge risk.
When their deal runs out:
Unless someone builds a better mousetrap there will downward pressure in the market.
They will have 4 more mouths to feed.
The two whales will spend the rest of the contract setting them up for less next go round.
That's a big leap to ask people who have a fiduciary responsibility to their schools to make.

I'd argue that it's probably just as big a leap for people who have a fiduciary responsibility to their school to leave $100s of millions on the table. ESPN and Fox are going to pay more. Either through expansion or some sort of compromise. I think it's probably a 50/50 proposition at this point. How many of these ADs and Presidents are going to be around in 8-9 years when the contract is renewed? The short term gain might be worth the long term risk, especially if Fox/ESPN don't bring an alternative to the table, if they're just rattling sabres, then the Big 12 is likely to expand.

Reaction Score
This is quite the improvement from "we have not met with the Big12." Of course it could be they said "thanks no thanks" but it's something.
You don't use the wording "I can't comment on that" if there was one phone call and nothing came of it.

Reaction Score
You don't use the wording "I can't comment on that" if there was one phone call and nothing came of it.
I just wish that they would tell us one way or the other so that we can get on with our lives.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I just wish that they would tell us one way or the other so that we can get on with our lives.
Who are you trying to kid? You'll still spend at least 4 hours and a minute (i.e. most of your work day) on the Boneyard...just like everyone else here.

Reaction Score
or at least give a smile and wink.

"hey are we in the big 12?"
"I couldn't possibly comment on that."

George-Costanza-Point-Wink-On-Seinfeld.gif

I think if there is one thing we have seen since Herbst's last go around with CR is that she operates "out of sight out of mind" and does everything in private. While it truly sucks and leaves us...the fan base wondering if they are even doing anything at all; it is about as professional as can be.

Reaction Score
. Paying BC/Pitt/Cuse was the cost of killing the Big East.[/QUOTE]

Not paying Miami, BC ( what the ACC would ) was what " killed the Big East ". That, and the BE being run out of Providence, R.I. by Basketball people that were impervious to the changing landscape and how Football, not Basketball, was increasingly driving the College Athletics money train. Had Uconn decided to upgrade their football program maybe 10 years earlier than they did, Uconn would probably be in a P5 Conference already, imo.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
It would have been even more telling if each of the two parts of that question were asked separately. If we've been to Texas, that's good. If they've been to Storrs, that's even better.

Supposedly they're not visiting any campuses, according to Dennis Dodd (I believe it was him). Apparently they don't need to. So if we've been to Texas, that's really the key. You're not going to Texas unless you're asked to come to Texas.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I think if there is one thing we have seen since Herbst's last go around with CR is that she operates "out of sight out of mind" and does everything in private. While it truly sucks and leaves us...the fan base wondering if they are even doing anything at all; it is about as professional as can be.
Agree, if we get a P5 home because of it. Otherwise...

Simpsons-angry-mob-pitchfork-torches.jpg

(I kid... sort of.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom