No XL games until Fall 2021 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No XL games until Fall 2021

Reaction Score
I think they will hang onto the seat donation and apply it towards next year, your 400 or your 800 or whatever. I think this will be an option for ticketholders as UConn tries to hang onto as much of it as they can until next year, invested somewhere and earning money for them.

The cost of the tickets themselves though I suspect will be returned to us.
They will probably do what they did with football. You can ask for a full refund, roll over to next year with 10% “bonus” or use as a donation. We will know tomorrow

Reaction Score
Yes. The civic center is awful.

I’m not opposed to the idea of playing in Hartford but no way should a program like UConn be playing in a building that is in the shape the XL is.
It’s time to implode the XL center. It’s outlived it’s usefulness.

Reaction Score
Well I totally agree a majority of the games should be played in storrs but I have season tickets to XL - plus it is a lot closer fir me and way more convenient. Getting out of that parking garage in storrs is a nightmare and unless u wanna be elbow to elbow with 20 yr olds at teds waiting an hour to get a drink before and after the game, Hartford is much easier and roomier. By no means am I saying the atmosphere in Hartford is better than storrs, but you do have to have some games in Hartford- Just way more convenient for the rest of the state and for. people over 30. Now if you don’t care about the drive , the traffic, and the nonsense getting in and out of Campus and really no place to catch a drink without tons of people , then storrs is definitely better- In addition, an already dead Hartford wud receive the proverbial nail in the coffin if they took uconn games away. you guys might laugh but the XL Center can get pretty loud when it wants to get crazy.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well I totally agree a majority of the games should be played in storrs but I have season tickets to XL - plus it is a lot closer fir me and way more convenient. Getting out of that parking garage in storrs is a nightmare and unless u wanna be elbow to elbow with 20 yr olds at teds waiting an hour to get a drink before and after the game, Hartford is much easier and roomier. By no means am I saying the atmosphere in Hartford is better than storrs, but you do have to have some games in Hartford- Just way more convenient for the rest of the state and for. people over 30. Now if you don’t care about the drive , the traffic, and the nonsense getting in and out of Campus and really no place to catch a drink without tons of people , then storrs is definitely better- In addition, an already dead Hartford wud reveive the nail in the coffin if they took uconn games away. you guys might laugh but the XL Center can get pretty loud when it wants to get crazy.
I think it is fine for a few big games scheduled when school is out of session. Other than that? Not so much. The problem is that it is hemorrhaging cash even with our supporting them. Without those games, it's over.

(Off the top of my head, I'm thinking three games men, 3 games woman, and 3 games hockey (after the rink is built, obviously). Can they get by on 9 games in total?

Reaction Score
From a financial standpoint when you take into account what UConn pays in rent vs what it gets with extra tickets I don’t see much. The arena is in piss poor shape. I gag when I am watching a game from the smell of the grease traps. The floor has condensation issues. The players unanimous hate it, coaches as well. We can always limit it to 1-3 games a year but half the games at XL needs to stop. We need to embrace Storrs. I never understood the argument that people won’t show up. People show up from all over to see penn state football in the middle of nowhere. If we are good, people will come. Especially in the Big East. We need to upgrade gampel, sure. It’s doable.
well said

Reaction Score
I’ve been to XL more than Gampel, surprisingly. I grew up going to games at XL. I can’t imagine UConn Basketball without the XL Center. Although I prefer Gampel like most of you, is the Civic Center really that bad?

it obviously needs to be totally redone but it’s not as bad as people here make it sound. Gampel isn’t the best facility either. Some of the best times I’ve had have been at the xl center

Reaction Score
I think it is fine for a few big games scheduled when school is out of session. Other than that? Not so much. The problem is that it is hemorrhaging cash even with our supporting them. Without those games, it's over.

(Off the top of my head, I'm thinking three games men, 3 games woman, and 3 games hockey (after the rink is built, obviously). Can they get by on 9 games in total?
Need more than 3 men’s games. At least 5, hockey and women’s hoops not gonna cut it

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
First year back in the Big East. Huge excitement. Major bummer.

Reaction Score
First year back in the Big East. Huge excitement. Major bummer.
Yeah man. I hear ya. Was so looking forward to heading to games with the fellas this year and throwing some drinks back. Probably won’t ever get to see bouknight live ever again Crazy when u think about it. Maybe by the miracle of God he’ll stay for his junior season

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
At the hockey rink on campus????

“Our teams love competing in downtown Hartford," UConn athletic director David Benedict said, "but the conditions brought about by COVID-19 have made that impractical. Our men’s hockey and basketball teams will compete in the Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum and Gampel Pavilion respectively. We look forward to playing at the XL Center during the 2021-22 season.”

Sorry, I consider that a glorified barn. I know it is better than it was in my day, but does it even meet HE requirements?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This could be interesting if the AD, Hurley and the Huskies decide they like having all games at Gampel.
ALL home games should be at Gampel
I would rather go to Mohegan than XL and I've had season tickets forever - the place (XL) is a pit

Reaction Score
thank the good lord every day i dont live in Hartford anymore

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
XL Center needs two things...a lot of gasoline and a match.

Reaction Score
Kind of crazy to think this will be the first time in probably 20 years that I will not be attending any UConn games at the Civic/XL Center. This is one of those situations where as much as we think the XL is a dump, we are going to miss showing up to that place for UConn games this year. Who knows what's going to happen with fans being able to attend Gampel?, but If I cannot attend any games this season, that will really be a huge void this winter. I understand that its for everyones health and safety, I just hope we can get through this soon.

Reaction Score
I don't understand all the hating on having games at the XL Center. Granted you get more students when they play at Gampel, and I went to 5 or 6 games there too last year, but I like going to Hartford and the XL Center as well, and depending on the game the crowds are just as good, bigger even. As far as the facility being a s==thole or something, I just don't see it. Bunch of prima donnas on here.

Reaction Score
ALL home games should be at Gampel
I would rather go to Mohegan than XL and I've had season tickets forever - the place (XL) is a pit
You would think Mohegan has probably lobbied UConn for at least one regular season basketball game per year, right? The Mohegan Sun Arena has taken a number of other events from Hartford, and you would think they have tried to get UConn basketball games there as well. I think that would be a good idea, and It would probably work out better than the Bridgeport experiment did.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom