No XL games until Fall 2021 | The Boneyard

No XL games until Fall 2021

Reaction Score
"Interesting" development given that I have XL season tix...
I am starting to call for a refund of my tickets. They won’t let fans on campus. They don’t want any risk of closing more than they need to

Reaction Score
Question for those who may know a lot more the finances of the XL. What does this do to the operating deficit and does it imperil it as an ongoing venue?

Reaction Score
This could be interesting if the AD, Hurley and the Huskies decide they like having all games at Gampel.
I am 100% in favor of limiting XL games to only a handful. Gampel should be our cathedral. Not the piss smelling hallways of XL. UConn pays way too much for it and this should be a wake up call.

I honestly don’t see XL existing after this

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Understandable for this season but games in Hartford are needed.
From a financial standpoint when you take into account what UConn pays in rent vs what it gets with extra tickets I don’t see much. The arena is in piss poor shape. I gag when I am watching a game from the smell of the grease traps. The floor has condensation issues. The players unanimous hate it, coaches as well. We can always limit it to 1-3 games a year but half the games at XL needs to stop. We need to embrace Storrs. I never understood the argument that people won’t show up. People show up from all over to see penn state football in the middle of nowhere. If we are good, people will come. Especially in the Big East. We need to upgrade gampel, sure. It’s doable.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Makes total sense to me. Why pay rent if we likely can't have fans, or very limited fans. Why travel if the team doesn't have to. Where is hockey going to play though?

Reaction Score
This could be interesting if the AD, Hurley and the Huskies decide they like having all games at Gampel.
Uconn has always preferred games at Gampel over XL Center. They had no choice but to play at the XL center because of politics.
Hartford bars and Restaurants will be really hurt by this decision.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Makes total sense to me. Why pay rent if we likely can't have fans, or very limited fans. Why travel if the team doesn't have to. Where is hockey going to play though?

At the hockey rink on campus????

“Our teams love competing in downtown Hartford," UConn athletic director David Benedict said, "but the conditions brought about by COVID-19 have made that impractical. Our men’s hockey and basketball teams will compete in the Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum and Gampel Pavilion respectively. We look forward to playing at the XL Center during the 2021-22 season.”

Reaction Score
From a financial standpoint when you take into account what UConn pays in rent vs what it gets with extra tickets I don’t see much. The arena is in piss poor shape. I gag when I am watching a game from the smell of the grease traps. The floor has condensation issues. The players unanimous hate it, coaches as well. We can always limit it to 1-3 games a year but half the games at XL needs to stop. We need to embrace Storrs. I never understood the argument that people won’t show up. People show up from all over to see penn state football in the middle of nowhere. If we are good, people will come. Especially in the Big East. We need to upgrade gampel, sure. It’s doable.

I live 5 minutes from the XL and have only XL tickets so maybe I'm biased.

Reaction Score
I am 100% in favor of limiting XL games to only a handful. Gampel should be our cathedral. Not the piss smelling hallways of XL. UConn pays way too much for it and this should be a wake up call.

I honestly don’t see XL existing after this
I’ve been to XL more than Gampel, surprisingly. I grew up going to games at XL. I can’t imagine UConn Basketball without the XL Center. Although I prefer Gampel like most of you, is the Civic Center really that bad?

Reaction Score
I’ve been to XL more than Gampel, surprisingly. I grew up going to games at XL. I can’t imagine UConn Basketball without the XL Center. Although I prefer Gampel like most of you, is the Civic Center really that bad?
Yes. The civic center is awful.

I’m not opposed to the idea of playing in Hartford but no way should a program like UConn be playing in a building that is in the shape the XL is.

Reaction Score
Uconn has always preferred games at Gampel over XL Center. They had no choice but to play at the XL center because of politics.
Hartford bars and Restaurants will be really hurt by this decision.

and imagine at not having the yardgoats play this summer.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The players unanimous hate it, coaches as well.
Not according to AD Dave - “Our teams love competing in downtown Hartford," UConn athletic director David Benedict said.

Pretty sure you are right and he is wrong.

Reaction Score
I think they will hang onto the seat donation and apply it towards next year, your 400 or your 800 or whatever. I think this will be an option for ticketholders as UConn tries to hang onto as much of it as they can until next year, invested somewhere and earning money for them.

The cost of the tickets themselves though I suspect will be returned to us.

Reaction Score
I think they will hang onto the seat donation and apply it towards next year, your 400 or your 800 or whatever. I think this will be an option for ticketholders as UConn tries to hang onto as much of it as they can until next year, invested somewhere and earning money for them.

The cost of the tickets themselves though I suspect will be returned to us.
It’s all refundable this year. But I’m sure they will try to force you to keep it.

Maybe give you 110% value.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom