No surprise. No counterpunch from coaching staff. | The Boneyard

No surprise. No counterpunch from coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Nothing surprising here. Never a counterpunch from Hurley.

Constantly out-coached and puts team in a position to lose any close games with a competent opposing coach. If you don’t realize you have to go zone or do something different in the second half then you are insane.

Building a good program but watching in-game coaching is insanely infuriating.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
idiotic response… didn’t have our main point guard at end of game and some bad turnovers for no reason during game. That’s no on Coaches. That was the difference. Plenty of counter punches. Sucks we lost but great game after nothing for past two weeks.

Reaction Score
idiotic response… didn’t have our main point guard at end of game and some bad turnovers for no reason during game. That’s no on Coaches. That was the difference. Plenty of counter punches. Sucks we lost but great game after nothing for past two weeks.

Is it his fault that Cole is the only competent guard we have?

Reaction Score

Constantly out-coached and puts team in a position to lose any close games with a competent opposing coach. If you don’t realize you have to go zone or do something different in the second half then you are insane.

I am a huge Hurley guy, but his absolute refusal to abandon his stock man to man for any reason hurt him today. Richmond carried Seton Hall for most of the second half. He did so by using his size and backing us down in one on one situations. 17 straight points? You have to go to a zone at that point. You have to. I am not saying that you have to do it for the rest of the game, but when you are essentially getting the s*** kicked out of you by a player who scores 8 and 1/2 points a game and who is doing the same thing, possession in and possession out, you have to do something else. Nobody (including Whaley at the end) could stop him. You had to double him, trap him on the catch, or play a zone.

These guys really do play hard. Today, their coach didn't give them their best chance to win.

Reaction Score

100% accurate. Continuing theme. Better get fixed soon.

Reaction Score
Shake my head. People act like coaches are playing 2k or an RPG or something.

Hurley and good 3 point shooting put us in a position to win the game on the road against a top 25 team.

We didn't make the plays down the stretch. The last play call didn't work. The one before did. Nobody bats 1.000.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
UConn allowed Richmond and Aiken to their right hand over and over. Defense is about taking away what the offense wants to do. Make them go left until they prove us wrong.

Last edited:

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Given the circumstances, the staff did an amazing job at getting the team ready to battle today.

Thought in game coaching was fine. Richmond wasn't going to miss during that stretch with 5 guys on him.

Our guys were in good offensive position most of the game and made the open looks drawn up for them. Would have liked to see a little more Akok for Whaley in the second half.

But like usual, struggled to get the team quality shots at critical points. Same old late game issues the staff has failed to correct.

End of the day, it was a 3 point OT loss on the road to a top 25 team. Hard to really crucify anyone for the loss all factors considered. Same issues still present and need attention.

Reaction Score
I am a huge Hurley guy, but his absolute refusal to abandon his stock man to man for any reason hurt him today. Richmond carried Seton Hall for most of the second half. He did so by using his size and backing us down in one on one situations. 17 straight points? You have to go to a zone at that point. You have to. I am not saying that you have to do it for the rest of the game, but when you are essentially getting the s*** kicked out of you by a player who scores 8 and 1/2 points a game and who is doing the same thing, possession in and possession out, you have to do something else. Nobody (including Whaley at the end) could stop him. You had to double him, trap him on the catch, or play a zone.

These guys really do play hard. Today, their coach didn't give them their best chance to win.
Gillespie going to do what he did last year against us. If we adjust and slow it down it would be looked at as a victory but then Jay Wright will adjust. I have zero confidence Hurley will make the counter move.

Reaction Score
Gillespie going to do what he did last year against us. If we adjust and slow it down it would be looked at as a victory but then Jay Wright will adjust. I have zero confidence Hurley will make the counter move.
This exactly.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score

Their practices are so frenetic that practicing zone would be a buzz kill.

Reaction Score
Gillespie will back Cole down 20 times

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Also, grave dig for Hurley all you want. Tyrese Martin stunk up New Jersey today. And that saying something.

Reaction Score

Maybe you can jump on some other team's bandwagon. I wouldn't be offended.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

You are correct.

But wasting timeouts for no reason so we didnt have any is certainly on him.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Also, grave dig for Hurley all you want. Tyrese Martin stunk up New Jersey today. And that saying something.

Not the best game for Martin or Whaley.

The bigs had stone hands on quite a few passes and boards.

Just some rust.

Reaction Score
Is it his fault that Cole is the only competent guard we have?
Yes, and this leads to a lot of the scoring droughts and end of game problems. Without players that can initiate and create, you rely on perfect execution from players that quite frankly are easy to defend and don't really threaten the defense. Poor roster construction with the lack of effective guards is on Hurley. I suspect his end of coaching will improve as the backcourt talent improves. My beef is he has had ample time to do it already and hasn't addressed it nearly enough. Not sure if his loyalty is hurting him here or what but it's an issue. Seton Hall just had more weapons and more ways to beat you on offense. Not ignoring the coaching but having multiple versatile options matter. At the end of the day it's a guards game.

Reaction Score
Shake my head. People act like coaches are playing 2k or an RPG or something.

Hurley and good 3 point shooting put us in a position to win the game on the road against a top 25 team.

We didn't make the plays down the stretch. The last play call didn't work. The one before did. Nobody bats 1.000.
I agree with this, but there has to be an option other than to force the ball to Sanogo. No movement/ball movement isn’t the answer and we’ve looked terrible in crunch time in our close games.

I do attribute a lot of it to Cole being the only person who can handle the ball in those spots, but we’re not getting creative/improving in those situations at all. And we choose to allow the timer to become a 6th defender too.

Definitely a tough situation without an easy solution, but one we need to overcome. Hawkins taking a step forward would be huge IMO, but I’m not sure how realistic that is this year. Plenty of time left in the season to figure it out, but it’s a clearly big mental hurdle.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
And once again we can't even get a shot off at the end of regulation...was that a shot clock violation?

Reaction Score
We had the chance to close this one out in both regulation and OT.

That's 4 losses this season with end game possession problems - a disturbing pattern that is most definitely on coaching

Reaction Score
I agree with this, but there has to be an option other than to force the ball to Sanogo. No movement/ball movement isn’t the answer and we’ve looked terrible in crunch time in our close games.

I do attribute a lot of it to Cole being the only person who can handle the ball in those spots, but we’re not getting creative/improving in those situations at all. And we choose to allow the timer to become a 6th defender too.

Definitely a tough situation without an easy solution, but one we need to overcome. Hawkins taking a step forward would be huge IMO, but I’m not sure how realistic that is this year. Plenty of time left in the season to figure it out, but it’s a clearly big mental hurdle.
Yeah, what is that 2nd option in the half court against a set defense? As you mentioned, Cole was fouled out, so really we're talking about a secondary action utilizing our 3rd scoring option.

Martin had brain fog all day and had tough defenders on him (and we saw the actual result when he tried to create). Jackson can't finish at the rim or shoot. Gaffney would be the last option to most on this board. We tried Polley off a pick at end of 1st half and he was blocked. Whaley wasn't healthy. Akok isn't strong enough against a set D. Hawkins isn't ready and that's the killer. That's what would have made this team top 15 good, but he's not ready and so we're probably top 30 good.

On the actual play, Martin should probably have driven right into the help and kicked out to wide open Jackson. But the problem is that it's Jackson and they're able to help off him for a reason. It's a handicap to have Jackson in the game at those moments. The defense was able to front Sanogo because Jackson's man was basically standing in the paint ready to help.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom