No SNY, just ESPN3? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

No SNY, just ESPN3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Question: if you sign up for WatchESPN (like the app for your phone or tablet, don't know if it's also available for a computer), can you get access to these ESPN3 games? I think that app pays ESPN directly for access.

It's not a problem for me, I get ESPN3 with my tv/internet package, but it might be worth looking into.

Reaction Score
This is good news for me. I think I'll get the package. Does Comcast have ESPN3?
Yes, I have watched games via Comcast/ESPN3. Works reasonably well.

Reaction Score
Yeah the ESPN3 thing isn't terrible, and really it's probably the way of the future. Once old people that have spent their entire lives with TV and cable die off, broadcasters will have to adapt to the majority that get their content on phones, tables, and computers instead of TVs. You already see it with some channels really investing in their online channels with some shows now exclusively available on the 'net which would have been unheard of 5 years ago.

Reaction Score
Sending a production crew all the way to Cal would probably have been a big money loser for SNY.
Agree. They would have to increase their infomercials from 18 hours a day to 20 hours a day.

Reaction Score
We're spoiled, that's really it. No other school has what we have, or have had for two decades, in terms of WCBB coverage of our team. I imagine the only way to see most WCBB teams is you either go in person or you read about it, but very few will have every game televised. Last year UConn had about half of its 40 games not just televised, but broadcast on a national network.

Ya think ??? That was underling part of my point but you do not address the fact that it is not Aresco or Warde's fault as you stated. But hey you're on a roll, only on The Boneyard can one make back to back contradicting statements and pick up three likes for doing so. LOL :)
Also never forget all the games are on the radio and they (WTIC) verbally paint a very good picture...

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
According to the watch espn site, the UC Davis game doesn't have the little "key" symbol
with it.

Can I take that to mean that you don't need an approved cable provider to watch the
game on espn3?

Well... I just checked Watch ESPN out and it does have the little key...

We're screwed... I say, we're screwed!!!!!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Yeah the ESPN3 thing isn't terrible, and really it's probably the way of the future. Once old people that have spent their entire lives with TV and cable die off, broadcasters will have to adapt to the majority that get their content on phones, tables, and computers instead of TVs. You already see it with some channels really investing in their online channels with some shows now exclusively available on the 'net which would have been unheard of 5 years ago.

Thanks for reminding me I have one foot in the grave....... :(

Reaction Score
According to the watch espn site, the UC Davis game doesn't have the little "key" symbol
with it.

Can I take that to mean that you don't need an approved cable provider to watch the
game on espn3?
Well... I just checked Watch ESPN out and it does have the little key...

We're screwed... I say, we're screwed!!!!!

The Uconn-UC Davis game listed on Watch ESPN upcoming events is streamed on ESPN 3 and is free, no sign in required. I have been watching ESPN streaming events for several years and ESPN 3 never requires a sign in. For ESPN, and ESPN2 events you can watch for free if your IP is listed in their sign in drop down list, mine is Comcast listed as Xfinity. For the remaining channels like ESPN U, Pac12, SEC, etc, you need to be subscribed to a sports package.

Reaction Score
Look, watching a WCBB game on a computer screen cannot compare with a 40 or 50 inch HDTV. But, with the Watch ESPN app, accessing the game cast will not be difficult and it beats missing the game.

Reaction Score
Look, watching a WCBB game on a computer screen cannot compare with a 40 or 50 inch HDTV. But, with the Watch ESPN app, accessing the game cast will not be difficult and it beats missing the game.

Just get yourself a Roku for 100 bucks, download the WatchESPN app, and you can watch the game on your 40 or 50 inch HDTV subject to your cable provider carrying it.

Reaction Score
The Uconn-UC Davis game listed on Watch ESPN upcoming events is streamed on ESPN 3 and is free, no sign in required. I have been watching ESPN streaming events for several years and ESPN 3 never requires a sign in. For ESPN, and ESPN2 events you can watch for free if your IP is listed in their sign in drop down list, mine is Comcast listed as Xfinity. For the remaining channels like ESPN U, Pac12, SEC, etc, you need to be subscribed to a sports package.
I wish! I just tried it with the current ESPN3 event. It still wants a participating IP provider.

CTyankee

Reaction Score
Just before 8PM last night after reading this thread I wrote to Neal Eskin about the lack of TV for this game... I had a response from him by a little after 10PM. My guess he wasn't up late reading fan mail...

"
Dear.......

Thank you for your email and for your support of our UConn women's basketball team. Please allow me to share with you some insights so that you may better understand the television landscape.

Throughout the country, major college athletic conferences control the television rights for their member institutions. The same holds true in UConn's conference, The American. ESPN currently manages the television rights for all of the schools in our league, and as such, determines the television outlets for all intra-conference and home non-conference football, men's basketball and women's basketball games.

As specifically related to UConn women's basketball, ESPN, in conjunction with the Conference office, coordinates the TV outlets for our games. ESPN first selects those games which it wishes to show on its own family of networks (like ESPN, ESPN2, etc.). CBS Sports Network will then receive a small number of games. And SNY is provided with 17 games annually, the most of any TV outlet.

When it comes to non-conference games which occur "on the road", the home team and its conference generally control the television rights. This is the case with the UC-Davis game. The conference in which UC-Davis participates, the Big West, along with its TV partners, control the TV rights for this game. UConn cannot dictate who can broadcast the game because the TV rights for this game do not belong to UConn or our conference. You should know that UConn did make a concerted effort to explore the possibility of television for this game --- even though we don't control the TV rights --- but unfortunately, we were not successful. (For the record, over the past several years, there have been other occasions where certain games have not been available on television in our area.)

We are pleased that there is an outlet to watch the UC-Davis game (as opposed to none at all). ESPN3 is ESPN's 24/7 online network and available in more than 92 million homes nationally. It is accessible online through www.WatchESPN.com. The network is widely available through major cable companies like Comcast, Charter, Cox and Cablevision. You can check with your online provider to determine whether you receive ESPN3.

While not meant to minimize your feelings about the UC-Davis game, I think it's important to recognize that UConn is extremely fortunate to enjoy the most comprehensive game coverage of any women's basketball program in the country. Fans communicate with us every year and tell us how thankful they are that so many UConn games are on television. This year, 29 of our 30 regular season games are being televised. Only one is not. Having all but one game on TV is something to feel good about.

Please know that we want our loyal fans (like you!) to have the opportunity to consume UConn women's basketball in every possible way --- whether it's being at our arenas cheering in person (such as the game in Fairfield County at Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport on December 19) or rooting for the Huskies in front of the television. We work very hard to protect the interests of our fans and do all we can (that is in our control) to ensure that as many games as possible are televised.

While you still may be disappointed, I hope that my explanation has provided you some information of which you may not have been aware. We sincerely appreciate your continuing support of UConn Women's Basketball. All of us are looking forward to another exciting season as Coach Auriemma and our Huskies pursue UConn's 10th national championship.

Neal

Neal Eskin
Senior Associate Athletic Director
University of Connecticut

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Just before 8PM last night after reading this thread I wrote to Neal Eskin about the lack of TV for this game... I had a response from him by a little after 10PM. My guess he wasn't up late reading fan mail...

"
Dear..

Thank you for your email and for your support of our UConn women's basketball team. Please allow me to share with you some insights so that you may better understand the television landscape.

Throughout the country, major college athletic conferences control the television rights for their member institutions. The same holds true in UConn's conference, The American. ESPN currently manages the television rights for all of the schools in our league, and as such, determines the television outlets for all intra-conference and home non-conference football, men's basketball and women's basketball games.

As specifically related to UConn women's basketball, ESPN, in conjunction with the Conference office, coordinates the TV outlets for our games. ESPN first selects those games which it wishes to show on its own family of networks (like ESPN, ESPN2, etc.). CBS Sports Network will then receive a small number of games. And SNY is provided with 17 games annually, the most of any TV outlet.

When it comes to non-conference games which occur "on the road", the home team and its conference generally control the television rights. This is the case with the UC-Davis game. The conference in which UC-Davis participates, the Big West, along with its TV partners, control the TV rights for this game. UConn cannot dictate who can broadcast the game because the TV rights for this game do not belong to UConn or our conference. You should know that UConn did make a concerted effort to explore the possibility of television for this game --- even though we don't control the TV rights --- but unfortunately, we were not successful. (For the record, over the past several years, there have been other occasions where certain games have not been available on television in our area.)

We are pleased that there is an outlet to watch the UC-Davis game (as opposed to none at all). ESPN3 is ESPN's 24/7 online network and available in more than 92 million homes nationally. It is accessible online through www.WatchESPN.com. The network is widely available through major cable companies like Comcast, Charter, Cox and Cablevision. You can check with your online provider to determine whether you receive ESPN3.

While not meant to minimize your feelings about the UC-Davis game, I think it's important to recognize that UConn is extremely fortunate to enjoy the most comprehensive game coverage of any women's basketball program in the country. Fans communicate with us every year and tell us how thankful they are that so many UConn games are on television. This year, 29 of our 30 regular season games are being televised. Only one is not. Having all but one game on TV is something to feel good about.

Please know that we want our loyal fans (like you!) to have the opportunity to consume UConn women's basketball in every possible way --- whether it's being at our arenas cheering in person (such as the game in Fairfield County at Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport on December 19) or rooting for the Huskies in front of the television. We work very hard to protect the interests of our fans and do all we can (that is in our control) to ensure that as many games as possible are televised.

While you still may be disappointed, I hope that my explanation has provided you some information of which you may not have been aware. We sincerely appreciate your continuing support of UConn Women's Basketball. All of us are looking forward to another exciting season as Coach Auriemma and our Huskies pursue UConn's 10th national championship.

Neal

Neal Eskin
Senior Associate Athletic Director
University of Connecticut

While this seems like a very complete answer, I can't help but think there's more to this story. Why on earth would The Big West Conference and/or Cal Davis feel the need NOT to share the TV rights to this game? Does it have more to do with how much they wanted in compensation to share this game for our broadcasters? My understanding was and still is that they ARE sharing the rights to it but ESPN still has first dibs and THEY have elected to show it ONLY on ESPN3. They have a big investment in ESPN3 and they need to promote that service. In their eyes certainly this game does not merit being on Regular ESPN or ESPN2. The response above from Neal Eskin is accurate in terms of a few unavailable games over the past few years. Usually those games are against weaker opponents. Can't help but think there is a monetary reason for broadcasters to not want to fork out out cash to get those games. Unfortunately this is the first game of the season for us so it's got a bigger spotlight on it. Would really like to hear Cal Davis and/or the Big West weigh in on this from their perspective.

CTyankee

Reaction Score
It was very surprising to me to receive an answer at 10PM at night. I had the feeling that this was a set "canned" response to any questions pertaining to a lack of coverage. I certainly think there is more to this than anyone at UConn will tell us, such as ESPN wanting to promote their Watch ESPN web coverage...

Reaction Score
It was very surprising to me to receive an answer at 10PM at night. I had the feeling that this was a set "canned" response to any questions pertaining to a lack of coverage. I certainly think there is more to this than anyone at UConn will tell us, such as ESPN wanting to promote their Watch ESPN web coverage...

Thanks for contacting the UConn athletic department regarding the UC-Davis game. I thought the response whether "canned" or not was informative. I don't think there is some sort hidden agenda on UConn or ESPN's part. Let's just enjoy the ability to watch 29 of the 30 regular season games on TV.

CTyankee

Reaction Score
Thanks for contacting the UConn athletic department regarding the UC-Davis game. I thought the response whether "canned" or not was informative. I don't think there is some sort hidden agenda on UConn or ESPN's part. Let's just enjoy the ability to watch 29 of the 30 regular season games on TV.

Someone is holding many average fans hostage to "network" coverage. If the game was available, as a stand alone pay-for-view item thru ESPN or another network, I would gladly pay the $9.99 to see the game. ESPN makes it impossible so that it can promote their Watch ESPN network by trying to force TV providers to subscribe to their service. We, the fans, are the losers.

Reaction Score
Someone is holding many average fans hostage to "network" coverage. If the game was available, as a stand alone pay-for-view item thru ESPN or another network, I would gladly pay the $9.99 to see the game. ESPN makes it impossible so that it can promote their Watch ESPN network by trying to force TV providers to subscribe to their service. We, the fans, are the losers.
It costs money to put something on cable where there is a finite number of channels and time slots. It costs nothing (or close to it) to put it online where there is unlimited bandwidth. Plus the ads can be targeted and personalized to your exact demographic since they pretty much know exactly who you are. Yes we should be able to watch any game any time we want, and by gosh the networks should bend to our demands, but in the real world it's not going to work that way unfortunately. Let's face it, it's still women's basketball, and it's a game with a known outcome, won't be an exciting game that's for sure, it's a Friday night when the least amount of people watch TV, and it's on in a time slot considered late night. Do you honestly think it's fair to expect them to use their expensive cable bandwidth to broadcast something that maybe 10 people will watch?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I just checked and it appears that Fox Sports owns the Big West broadcasting rights - no idea how they work with WatchESPN which happens to be the largest web sports video service but obviously they have some agreement in place for the UC-Davis game. ESPN does not I am sure have the broadcast (as opposed to web-broadcast) rights. I am not aware of any time that Uconn/SNY has negotiated a broadcast agreement with Fox Sports in the past, but suspect it may not have come up before at least in terms of WCBB. Other times when we have been 'blacked out' I think have been related to conference broadcast networks and not national ones but am not sure. Generally we have been lucky when a non-conference away game has allowed CPTV or SNY to use their feed for what I presume was basically the cost they would have incurred to produce their own feed. I don't think they have paid much of a premium because realistically the profit margins in their deals are probably not conducive to serious added expenses.

The SNY contract is probably not a serious moneymaker and its value to SNY is as much in the leverage it gives SNY with local cable companies as it is for profit on the broadcasts themselves. That is borne out by the specific web-broadcast deal they made with ESPN which includes blacking out the feed in the local market - WatchESPN gets the national web-broadcast rights to the SNY content in return for SNY getting the national broadcast rights and exclusivity in the home market.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Fox Sports may own the rights - but I have never seen a Big West women's game on DirecTV, and I get most of the regional Fox sports channels.

Since I don't watch game on the internet (except a very few RU and AZ, and not many of them) I have no idea what kind of exposure Big West WBB normally gets. Of course, the teams are all in California except for Hawai'i, if I am thinking of the right conference.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Fox Sports may own the rights - but I have never seen a Big West women's game on DirecTV, and I get most of the regional Fox sports channels.

Since I don't watch game on the internet (except a very few RU and AZ, and not many of them) I have no idea what kind of exposure Big West WBB normally gets. Of course, the teams are all in California except for Hawai'i, if I am thinking of the right conference.
Yes, all teams in California and I think all are State or UC schools, except Hawaii. Pacific, a private school, left 2 years ago to be part of the WCC.
I also have never seen a Big West WBB game on any Fox Sports Channel, unless they were the road team and it was being shown as the home teams feed.

Reaction Score
Your high speed internet. Connection may carry espn 3 can transfer to your tv with connection cable from your local electronic store. Good luck:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Frontier has taken over our AT&T Uverse, and I just found out that ESPN3 is no longer available to us :mad: Is there any alternative way to view this game online? Unfortunately, I think I already know the answer...
WatchESPN (formerly ESPN3) is available on Roku.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom