No Senior Night on TV | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No Senior Night on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am actually trying to remember how many times it has actually been broadcast live - and I am not sure it ever has. CPTV was to busy raising money before the games and SNY hasn't done it either. It happens I think before warm-ups since you can't ask the other team to sit around and wait for 30 minutes while the process gets done so that means 45 minutes before tip-off?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I am actually trying to remember how many times it has actually been broadcast live - and I am not sure it ever has. CPTV was to busy raising money before the games and SNY hasn't done it either. It happens I think before warm-ups since you can't ask the other team to sit around and wait for 30 minutes while the process gets done so that means 45 minutes before tip-off?
The senior night festivities were broadcast live, before the game, for several years by CPTV.
They would usually repeat the broadcast after the game along with other special material they prepared for the night.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Sorry, I still don't miss CPTV, never will.

I liked CPTV up to a point. Without them I never would have become a UConn women's basketball fan. But now that I'm in New Mexico, I'm very happy that the games are on SNY because, as I've said before, I can get SNY and all the games shown on SNY via Directv.

Reaction Score
Every Senior Night previously has been on CPTV or last year on SNY! About 6 years ago Senior Night was at the XL Center on a week night and the seniors complained their parents had to miss 3 days of work to get there so it went back to the last game at Gampel on a Saturday night! The lack of planning by the UCONN Athletic Dept. to make sure the Senior Night would be able to be televised pregame is just another example of how disrespected their fans are by the UCONN powers that be!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The lack of planning by the UCONN Athletic Dept. to make sure the Senior Night would be able to be televised pregame is just another example of how disrespected their fans are by the UCONN powers that be!

I think the seniors are the ones really getting dissed.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Every Senior Night previously has been on CPTV or last year on SNY! About 6 years ago Senior Night was at the XL Center on a week night and the seniors complained their parents had to miss 3 days of work to get there so it went back to the last game at Gampel on a Saturday night! The lack of planning by the UCONN Athletic Dept. to make sure the Senior Night would be able to be televised pregame is just another example of how disrespected their fans are by the UCONN powers that be!
Thanks - but that last sentence is just wrong - Uconn has 1. No control over the conference schedule, and 2. No control over the network choices for games. So how they could have 'planned' not to have Rutgers be the last Gampel game or to not have CBSSN claim that game is beyond me.

Reaction Score
Thanks - but that last sentence is just wrong - Uconn has 1. No control over the conference schedule, and 2. No control over the network choices for games. So how they could have 'planned' not to have Rutgers be the last Gampel game or to not have CBSSN claim that game is beyond me.
I think some are just upset about not having something that was regularly provided in the past. In reality most senior days/nights in any of the big college sports that are televised are not shown.

Reaction Score
Definitely. As much as I was rooting for CPTV to get the new contract and very disappointed when they didn't, you can't fault SNY for the quality of their broadcasts. it's so enjoyable to watch that HD on the widescreen. I enjoy the pre-game and post-game too and do not miss the incessant CPTV fund raising (although I certainly know and agree with their need to do so).
Hopefully there will be some type of broadcast for the Senior Night festivities. For all the diehards that cannot attend in person it's a great moment and so bittersweet!

don't seem to be able to get SNY in HD. what am i doing wrong? i have comcast.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
don't seem to be able to get SNY in HD. what am i doing wrong? i have comcast.
SNY may have two channels for SNY the standard def and the HD. Make sure you find the correct one.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
I could be wrong about this, but I believe UConn scheduled the game at the XL center because they said it would be easier for the players' relatives to get there and so more fans could see it live. I guess it didn't work out.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

I believe you remember this wrongly.

The Senior night was at the XL that year because the Seniors requested it. The XL game was on a weekend so it made it easier for family to travel to the event. The last game at Gampel that year was on a weeknight and would have been more inconvenient for Family attendance. Many on the Boneyard railed at the choice by the university to have the XL as the host for Senior night before it was revealed that the Seniors wanted it that way.

Reaction Score
SNY may have two channels for SNY the standard def and the HD. Make sure you find the correct one.
thanks. i considered that, but haven't been able to find an hd channel.

Reaction Score
It's not that hard to add CBS Sports station. Heck, I live in SD and was able to add SNY to my network so i can catch every game they carry. I also happen to have the sports package that covers the CBS Sports Stations as well. Additionally, my dad, who lives in Colchester and has whatever local cable company is out there, also was able to add it.
Fortunately I will be at the game because CBS Sports is not available from my cable company.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
most cable boxes jump to the HD channel even if you press the SD numbers, well atleast on Comcast X1 format it does

Reaction Score
RU at UCONN on CBS College Sports Network ( ch 143 for Cablevision ) 3/1/14 at 4pm

Reaction Score
I believe you remember this wrongly.

The Senior night was at the XL that year because the Seniors requested it. The XL game was on a weekend so it made it easier for family to travel to the event. The last game at Gampel that year was on a weeknight and would have been more inconvenient for Family attendance. Many on the Boneyard railed at the choice by the university to have the XL as the host for Senior night before it was revealed that the Seniors wanted it that way.

They pretty much have to hold Senior Night at Gampel this year, not just because the last game there is on a weekend, but because Gampel is where the Huskies of Honor flags are, and both Stef and Bria will be honored on their Senior Night.

Reaction Score
I liked CPTV up to a point. Without them I never would have become a UConn women's basketball fan. But now that I'm in New Mexico, I'm very happy that the games are on SNY because, as I've said before, I can get SNY and all the games shown on SNY via Directv.

While out of state I gota say SNY rocks (except for the crappy Peoples Union Bank Commercials, Bleh). Direct TV has been very kind to us.

Reaction Score
I tweeted Kerith Burke if her and this is her answer....

@talagrace: @KerithBurke do u know if u guys will airing a special seniors night episode for SNY?

@KerithBurke: @talagrace SNY will have a camera crew there for the seniors, but not our usual in-depth coverage because CBSSN is airing the game, not SNY

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A little off topic, but I love what SNY has done for Uconn. The production values on the games are first class - often better than their big brothers at ESPN and light years ahead of BTN, Pac network and anyone else who is broadcasting women's basketball. I think Kerith is one of the best sideline reporters working in basketball and especially in women's basketball - and her questioning and repartee with Geno is really good. And while I am not that enamored with either Meghan or Kara partly from overexposure, the pre/post/halftime coverage is also better than what is generally available for women's basketball and actually focused on women's basketball rather than whatever the network is broadcasting on other channels or later.
And the quality, depth, and frequency of the Geno, Geno's Legacy, and All Access shows is better than anything I have seen for any college team in ANY sport. These are first class productions equal in production value to anything produced on ESPN or other networks for professional sports or produced by NBC for the Olympics in my opinion. That they are produced for a women's college basketball team is truly remarkable and I don't think people quite appreciate how extraordinary that is.
Add to above, that while not as widely distributed nor included with most basic service levels, that this programming is available in all 50 states and on most TV services and the value to Uconn and to the women's basketball program cannot easily be measured. This has to be a huge bonus to recruiting. Any HS player and their family that is contemplating Uconn as a possible school gets insights into the program, and the knowledge that even if their family and friends will not be at most of their games, they will be able to see them all with only a little effort.
I certainly hope there will be complete video of the senior night festivities but even if there isn't any (and really SNY not getting the game sort of absolves them) it is a small trade-off for everything we do get.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
thanks. i considered that, but haven't been able to find an hd channel.
I live in MA, get Comcast (Xfinity) but we don't have SNY in HD. Don't get the Fox Regional channels in HD either. Maybe someday they will all be HD and it won't matter.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I am glad SNY will have a crew there, and that we will at least get to see some of the ceremony on the postgame or the Geno show. Since SNY didn't have to do it at all, because CBS had the game, I appreciate their effort! Carl Adamec will probably post the videos on the SNY site as soon as possible.

And I am sure that Kerith will do her usual excellent job. Small victories!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom