No Secret Cincy Wants Out of AAC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No Secret Cincy Wants Out of AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The infrastructure argument just does not hold water. Have you ever been to a game at Clemson? There are countless venues that have more than double the capacity of what we'd require on campus with similar infrastructure. Yeah, traffic sucks. But it sucks getting out of Gampel games as well. Deal with it.

I'm not saying that it can't be done with the current infrastructure in place. I'm just saying that would probably be the biggest problem with having the stadium in or around the Storrs campus. Obviously there's going to be traffic regardless of where you go, I mean The Rent even has a ton of traffic and that has a lot of room for cars to drive. I just think if UCONN seriously wants to build an on-campus stadium, they should at least look into trying to ease the congestion that can happen.

That being said, I love The Rent and hope UCONN stays there for a while.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying that it can't be done with the current infrastructure in place. I'm just saying that would probably be the biggest problem with having the stadium in or around the Storrs campus. Obviously there's going to be traffic regardless of where you go, I mean The Rent even has a ton of traffic and that has a lot of room for cars to drive. I just think if UCONN seriously wants to build an on-campus stadium, they should at least look into trying to ease the congestion that can happen.

That being said, I love The Rent and hope UCONN stays there for a while.

I don't know that I've ever sat in traffic for more than 10 minutes getting out of the Rent. Most of the time I leave without stopping.

Reaction Score
It's difficult but not impossible. I-84 is six miles from that intersection, and I-384 is seven miles from that intersection. With about a 50,000 seat stadium, only 40,000-42,000 would need to drive in and out (the other 8,000 to 10,000 being students), six times a year.

Gillette Stadium is about four miles south and about five miles north of I-95 on Route 1. 68,000 fans manage to pull that off 10-12 times each year.

Then again, Foxboro isn't in the People's Republic of Mansfield.

As improbable as it may seem, it's definitely possible. As anyone knows from going to Gampel or been to UCONN on move in day. I just think it would be in th e best interests of everyone to ease the traffic that's going to occur.

Reaction Score
I don't know that I've ever sat in traffic for more than 10 minutes getting out of the Rent. Most of the time I leave without stopping.

I usually show up 30 to 45 minutes before kick off (never had enough people to tailgate). So I usually park at the end of the runway making me one of the last people out of the lot. I don't know if that changes anything, but I'm usually in traffic for 20-25 minutes back there. I guess I just need to learn your tricks.

Reaction Score
UConn makes less in TV money for all its sports than Depaul. A lot less. I could care less about some small time bowl game that will cost the school a net loss of a few hundred thousand when attendance has fallen off a cliff and there is no TV revenue coming in. I believe that SNY would pay as much for football alone as UConn makes for all sports through ESPN. Boise got something like $5MM for its home games, in freaking Boise.
Who would you play? How do you plan on getting in on any BCS/P5 discussions?

Do you think UConn Football belongs in this list:

Notre Dame
Army
Navy
BYU

Navy, who has much better footing to survive as an independent, is going to a conference. Notre Dame gave up some of it's scheduling independence for conference security. BYU has it's own network and a national footprint. Army has a built in fan base in every collegiate market in the country. UConn has a strong alumni base in Connecticut and NY. Hmmm.

Reaction Score
"President Susan Herbst? The AD? You'd sooner get them to talk about the man in the moon than the ACC or Big 10."

We're next in line for the ACC or the B1G, is my guess.

Reaction Score
I thought that on campus was doable until I waited 45 minutes to get out of X Lot after the Louisville game. Then the traffic snarl all the way up 44. You would have to put in some access roads which can get you to 84 or 384 quickly.

We had our chance back in the late late 90's. Ain't happening. Expand the Rent to 50K. Upgrade it. It should be enough.

Reaction Score
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2014/02/07/Colleges/Bohn.aspx

Bohns first order of business is to get out of AAC. The competition is on to see who gets out of the ACC. Cincy has similar non-impressive attendance figures as UCONN - 30K per game for football. Who will repair their image first and begin some real positive momentum and get fans in the seats.

It should be interesting. For now I'll enjoy the AAC. After yesterday's hoop game I am beginning to think that it will not be as bad as I thought.

Jacobs weighs in as well.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-jacobs-column-0216-20140215,0,4872463.column
Doesn't every body who wants to be relevant in college sports want out of the AAC?

Reaction Score
Doesn't every body who wants to be relevant in college sports want out of the AAC?
Yes but I will say that things have gone much better than I thought, especially given that UCF won the Bowl game. I am getting used to the Basketball rivalry stuff. If you asked me is it better or worse than I thought I would say much better. It's not the B1G but not the MAC.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
UConn makes less in TV money for all its sports than Depaul. A lot less. I could care less about some small time bowl game that will cost the school a net loss of a few hundred thousand when attendance has fallen off a cliff and there is no TV revenue coming in. I believe that SNY would pay as much for football alone as UConn makes for all sports through ESPN. Boise got something like $5MM for its home games, in freaking Boise.

Your problem though Nelson is that SNY does not get us exposure at all. Money is great but kids are not coming to UConn unless they see them on the TV.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Your problem though Nelson is that SNY does not get us exposure at all. Money is great but kids are not coming to UConn unless they see them on the TV.

Your problem is that the program is DEAD in its current situation. We will be UMass in 5, maybe 10, years if we do not do something. The revenue is more important than the exposure, and the reality is that SNY would sell the rights to a national syndicator so we would be on somewhere. We had several football games this year that were not on TV anywhere but the Internet. How is that for exposure?

$2MM a year in TV revenue is a death sentence, it is that simple. Move heaven and earth to get that number up. Or maybe you think UConn is only worth $2MM a year, in which case it is time to get rid of Auriemma, Ollie and Diaco and get coaches we can afford.

Reaction Score
Your problem is that the program is DEAD in its current situation. We will be UMass in 5, maybe 10, years if we do not do something. The revenue is more important than the exposure, and the reality is that SNY would sell the rights to a national syndicator so we would be on somewhere. We had several football games this year that were not on TV anywhere but the Internet. How is that for exposure?

$2MM a year in TV revenue is a death sentence, it is that simple. Move heaven and earth to get that number up. Or maybe you think UConn is only worth $2MM a year, in which case it is time to get rid of Auriemma, Ollie and Diaco and get coaches we can afford.
I don't agree with a lot things you post, but this IMO is spot on. No way in hell the current predicament is sustainable past the exit fee money running out. That appears to be the lifeline for now, after that we will be watching schools like Rutgers offering Diaco and Ollie money, we simply won't be able to afford. That is the cold, hard truth of our future, barring a miracle.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't agree with a lot things you post, but this IMO is spot on. No way in hell the current predicament is sustainable past the exit fee money running out. That appears to be the lifeline for now, after that we will be watching schools like Rutgers offering Diaco and Ollie money, we simply won't be able to afford. That is the cold, hard truth of our future, barring a miracle.
I don't think anyone denies that the current state of affairs is less than ideal, to say the least, but The AAC is the only option until the Rutgers experiment (hopefully) proves to be a failure.

Independence is not a solution. It's cutting of one's nose to spite their face...just like the New Big East did. UConn went 9-3 in 2003 and no bowl. UConn's revenue may be less than DePaul's but UConn's is not capped like Depaul's and technically, ESPN3 is an international outlet, where SNY is super-regional at best.

Winning, exposure, and what Pres. Herbst is doing on the academic side really is the name of the game now.

Reaction Score
noeynox said:

It's not going to take a miracle. I think some of us are so frustrated we lose touch with reality. We are probably going to a P5 conference. It may be to a diluted ACC, it may be the B1G or even the B12, but we won't likely be left out. We have too much to offer and networks need content. It sure does seem like a long wait though.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Are there any actual drawings of what the expanded Rent would look like?

I've seen some of the artwork people here on the board have done but I haven't been able to find any drawings of a proposed 50K-60K Rent.

Husky25

Reaction Score

I've seen some of the artwork people here on the board have done but I haven't been able to find any drawings of a proposed 50K-60K Rent.

Probably not dissimilar to what the Michigan game actually looked like.

Reaction Score

I have been told by my friend who works for the DOT over seeing construction projects that it basically puts another level on from the right of the press box/sky box/club seating level all the way around and adds some seats by the score board

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have been told by my friend who works for the DOT over seeing construction projects that it basically puts another level on from the right of the press box/sky box/club seating level all the way around and adds some seats by the score board

That's my understanding as well, I just was curious if there were any drawings laying around.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score

If in the next three years we are still in the AAC I would agree the money will be gone from the settlement and we may havee start to think about independence. But tell me a team who can survive without a conference in the meantime. Leaving now would be impossible to schedule games for football and basketball. Try finding games in February and March. Negotiating a bowl tie in will be next to impossible (hell N Dame had the Big East tied into their bowl opportunities). No automatic berth in baseball, basketball, soccer, and if you think that a conference of any worth will take in out non revenue sports with the chance of us taking off you are mistaken. We are lucky that some of out girl sports are in the Big East right now.

Reaction Score
Don't forget about the conference championship game which if they make it should bring in some $$ hopefully

Reaction Score
That's my understanding as well, I just was curious if there were any drawings laying around.
The plans/drawings according to my friend are on file and approved with/by the DOT...all they need is the $$$

Reaction Score
The plans/drawings according to my friend are on file and approved with/by the DOT...all they need is the $
The Deparment of Transportation would oversee expansion of The Rent????

Reaction Score
The Deparment of Transportation would oversee expansion of The Rent????
My bad...the agency my friend works for (Division of Construction Services) was moved under the Division of Administrative Services during the reorganization by Malloy. This is where the plans are filed.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone denies that the current state of affairs is less than ideal, to say the least, but The AAC is the only option until the Rutgers experiment (hopefully) proves to be a failure.

Independence is not a solution. It's cutting of one's nose to spite their face...just like the New Big East did. UConn went 9-3 in 2003 and no bowl. UConn's revenue may be less than DePaul's but UConn's is not capped like Depaul's and technically, ESPN3 is an international outlet, where SNY is super-regional at best.

Winning, exposure, and what Pres. Herbst is doing on the academic side really is the name of the game now.

We do not want the Rutgers experiment to fail IMO. If it fails Delany and other conferences will look at it and say that the Northeast is a waste of time trying to chase.

We need the Rutgers experiment to work in NJ and somewhat in NYC. This will demonstrate that there are people in this market that want to watch the BTN. The next step would be to add us to gain all of Connecticut and more of NYC

Husky25

Reaction Score
We do not want the Rutgers experiment to fail IMO. If it fails Delany and other conferences will look at it and say that the Northeast is a waste of time trying to chase.

We need the Rutgers experiment to work in NJ and somewhat in NYC. This will demonstrate that there are people in this market that want to watch the BTN. The next step would be to add us to gain all of Connecticut and more of NYC

That's what I meant. Fail in terms of Rutgers not delivering NYC to the Big Ten's satisfaction, but enough to try and complete coverage of the DMA.

Didn't Time Warner (or was it CableVision) hold Yankee fans hostage by not agreeing to carriage fees for the YES Network? They could do the same for the BTNs chances of getting on to a non-specialized sports tier. I'm very interested to see what the merger between Comcast and Time Warner does in this regard. I kinda hope it falls apart at the last minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom