No Secret Cincy Wants Out of AAC | The Boneyard

No Secret Cincy Wants Out of AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2014/02/07/Colleges/Bohn.aspx

Bohns first order of business is to get out of AAC. The competition is on to see who gets out of the ACC. Cincy has similar non-impressive attendance figures as UCONN - 30K per game for football. Who will repair their image first and begin some real positive momentum and get fans in the seats.

It should be interesting. For now I'll enjoy the AAC. After yesterday's hoop game I am beginning to think that it will not be as bad as I thought.

Jacobs weighs in as well.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-jacobs-column-0216-20140215,0,4872463.column

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Their stadium only seats 15k. How the hell they get 30k in there?

Reaction Score
Their stadium only seats 15k. How the hell they get 30k in there?

Nippert Stadium capacity is a little over 35,000. Why do people post things such as the above without knowing what they are talking about? It shouldn't be to difficult to Google Nippert Stadium.

Reaction Score
If our stadium only seats 25k, as Rich always points out, theirs only seats 15k, irregardless of what the official capacity is.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Waiting for the first yahoo to blame Warde for not saying he wants out of this conference ASAP. We're obviously losing the PR war in conference realignment.

Reaction Score
Lol. You guy are fast. Only took 300 hits. All the MENSA guys stand right up.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
We're 1st then them sorry we've suffered enough

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think the AAC is disastrous for the UConn, and I would prefer independence to our current situation. That said, saying things like Bohn said publicly are counterproductive.

Reaction Score
I think the AAC is disastrous for the UConn, and I would prefer independence to our current situation. That said, saying things like Bohn said publicly are counterproductive.

Sorry, but UCONN being independant would be a bigger disaster than playing in the AAC. UCONN does not have the national following like schools like ND, BYU or Army has. This means UCONN does not get any TV deal even remotely close to what it has now with ESPN (yes the deal sucks, but it's better than getting nothing). This would basically just shoot a torpedo into the life raft we are in now.

Not to mention UCONN has a tough time scheduling 4 quality OOC games now. I can almost guarantee you if UCONN went independant the schedule would be mostly MAC and C-USA teams with, at best, an away game or two per season against a bottom feeder to middle of the road power 5 conference. UCONN's only course of action is to sit tight and improve the quality of the entire atheltic department and academics.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cincy to add 5k - capacity 40k. Upgrade luxury boxes and press boxes. Spending $70 million. Serious stuff.

http://magazine.uc.edu/issues/0413/nippert_upgrade.html

7409203.jpeg

Reaction Score
Agreed not good but what is the alternative? We lose in football revenue nd women's BB is not competitive. The baseball and soccer schedules are competitive. Some rivalries developing in in Men's BB. Honestly this is nowhere near as bad as I thought. If we can get 3 or 4 football teams in the Top 20 we can survive here for awhile.

Reaction Score
The other way to look at this......... is that Cincinnati is spending $70 million to expand their existing stadium to seat 40,000 max capacity and upgrade luxury boxes and press boxes. Seriously.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Cincy to add 5k - capacity 40k. Upgrade luxury boxes and press boxes. Spending $70 million. Serious stuff.

http://magazine.uc.edu/issues/0413/nippert_upgrade.html

7409203.jpeg
I would love to see what we could do at the Rent with $70 million. Outfit the stadium with chairbacks, close in the end zone with seats, add a deck across from the press boxes, complete the ribbon boards around the stadium and you'd still have enough to give a free beer/soda/hotdog to everyone in attendance at the grand reopening.

Reaction Score
I would love to see what we could do at the Rent with $70 million. Outfit the stadium with chairbacks, close in the end zone with seats, add a deck across from the press boxes, complete the ribbon boards around the stadium and you'd still have enough to give a free beer/soda/hotdog to everyone in attendance at the grand reopening.
It's an aggressive move nonetheless to modernize. Our new scoreboard is a step in the right direction. I liked the end zone seats, because it forced everybody who stands there to get back to their seats. If you are nor going forward you are going backward.

Reaction Score
Remember when we couldn't get into a bowl game mainly because we didn't have conference affiliation or any pull? Yeah, it would be much worse now.

Reaction Score

This is a minority view, but I'd like to use $70 million as a 20% down payment on a new on/near-campus stadium, viz., to the north as part of the tech park, nearer the intersection of U.S. Route 44 and Route 195.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8216135,-72.2691541,2743m/data=!3m1!1e3

Reaction Score
This is a minority view, but I'd like to use $70 million as a 20% down payment on a new on/near-campus stadium, viz., to the north as part of the tech park, nearer the intersection of U.S. Route 44 and Route 195.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8216135,-72.2691541,2743m/data=!3m1!1e3

I think the biggest problem with a stadium anywhere near campus will be traffic. 195 and 44 would definitely need to be widened to accomodate all that added flow. Or else it would look like the tunnel in Hartford around 5 every afternoon.

Reaction Score
I think the biggest problem with a stadium anywhere near campus will be traffic. 195 and 44 would definitely need to be widened to accomodate all that added flow. Or else it would look like the tunnel in Hartford around 5 every afternoon.

It's difficult but not impossible. I-84 is six miles from that intersection, and I-384 is seven miles from that intersection. With about a 50,000 seat stadium, only 40,000-42,000 would need to drive in and out (the other 8,000 to 10,000 being students), six times a year.

Gillette Stadium is about four miles south and about five miles north of I-95 on Route 1. 68,000 fans manage to pull that off 10-12 times each year.

Then again, Foxboro isn't in the People's Republic of Mansfield.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Remember when we couldn't get into a bowl game mainly because we didn't have conference affiliation or any pull? Yeah, it would be much worse now.

UConn makes less in TV money for all its sports than Depaul. A lot less. I could care less about some small time bowl game that will cost the school a net loss of a few hundred thousand when attendance has fallen off a cliff and there is no TV revenue coming in. I believe that SNY would pay as much for football alone as UConn makes for all sports through ESPN. Boise got something like $5MM for its home games, in freaking Boise.

Reaction Score

The infrastructure argument just does not hold water. Have you ever been to a game at Clemson? There are countless venues that have more than double the capacity of what we'd require on campus with similar infrastructure. Yeah, traffic sucks. But it sucks getting out of Gampel games as well. Deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom