NO SATs or ACTs???? | The Boneyard

NO SATs or ACTs????

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Just heard that those seeking undergrad admissions to UConn won't have to be required to take the SATs or ACTs over next 3 years. Those damn SATs stopped me from getting into 2 or 3 schools (I'm a math idiot) in the early 70s. Confused as to why can't students take these tests under some type of controlled environment. Wish I had this opportunity.
Just wondering how that will impact overall enrollment in terms of numbers and quality.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Just heard that those seeking undergrad admissions to UConn won't have to be required to take the SATs or ACTs over next 3 years. Those damn SATs stopped me from getting into 2 or 3 schools (I'm a math idiot) in the early 70s. Confused as to why can't students take these tests under some type of controlled environment. Wish I had this opportunity.
Just wondering how that will impact overall enrollment in terms of numbers and quality.
That's a good thing. SATs and ACTs were already dying. They're a better test of privilege than intelligence. Now it's accelerated.

Reaction Score
Many schools have done this already. And many schools were already test optional (FairTest | The National Center for Fair and Open Testing). Some colleges have been saying that they don't need a standardized test to assess a student's credentials and that the scores on these tests are not a great predictor of success in college. I expect you'll continue to see these standardized tests become less utilized in the future.

Reaction Score
The state of Connecticut gives the SAT for free now, once per year for juniors. I doubt it’s going away. Public schools have basically kept SAT alive.

Reaction Score
Did Lori Laughlin's kid ever get into USC? or anywhere?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That's a good thing. SATs and ACTs were already dying. They're a better test of privilege than intelligence. Now it's accelerated.

Eh, it's just gonna shift things more to the privileged. Those kids from 'good' schools (ie wealthy people) will be even more favored now, as there's not balance for the 'lesser' kids to prove themselves.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Did Lori Laughlin's kid ever get into USC? or anywhere?

Why bother? This whole thing made her famous on her own. She now has 1.3 million insta followers and probably clears $250-500k per year

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Eh, it's just gonna shift things more to the privileged. Those kids from 'good' schools (ie wealthy people) will be even more favored now, as there's not balance for the 'lesser' kids to prove themselves.

It is going to be this, on steroids. How can getting rid of SAT's possibly help those from disadvantaged or even middle class backgrounds?

Reaction Score
I'm a teacher and do a lot of SAT/ACT tutoring in a privileged CT community so I will feel the pinch. Kids with borderline grades will still take take it to put them over the top. Kids who kill it in the classroom will pass.

Reaction Score
I won't pretend to know which way favors the privileged more, what I do know is that this would have been very bad news for me going through the College application process. My standardized test scores carried my overall applicant portfolio and, frankly, I think they were a very strong indicator of my success as collegiate student. As a student I was built to succeed in collegiate class structures (less emphasis on busy-work/homework and greater emphasis on tests/projects) and I feel like my standardized test scores exhibited that potential to College Admissions offices.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I won't pretend to know which way favors the privileged more, what I do know is that this would have been very bad news for me going through the College application process. My standardized test scores carried my overall applicant portfolio and, frankly, I think they were a very strong indicator of my success as collegiate student. As a student I was built to succeed in collegiate class structures (less emphasis on busy-work/homework and greater emphasis on tests/projects) and I feel like my standardized test scores exhibited that potential to College Admissions offices.

There are several ways this plays out and all of them end up with those having money and access ending up better than those without.

As far as underprivileged kids being disaffected some state schools are going to a straight top 5 percent get in to first tier, the second 5 or 10 percent go second tier and the rest go to directional schools.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Yeah, my daughter had two SAT tests cancelled without notice. Looks like almost every school will have to be test optional next year. That will help some and hurt others. I certainly wish we hadn't spent a bunch of money on a prep course.

The main concerns I have are that we really now have very poor ability to know where a 2020-21 senior will get in. Even guidance counselors will be guessing as it will be new at most schools. Also, visits, will they happen at all? I hope so. Committing to go somewhere for four years without visiting isn't something I think they should have to do.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The state of Connecticut gives the SAT for free now, once per year for juniors. I doubt it’s going away. Public schools have basically kept SAT alive.

They aren't letting them take it. No mass gatherings.

Reaction Score
Hard Take: Shift in UConn population from thinkers to drinkers. How Covid19 moved UConn from a top 25 public institution to the #1 party school in the nation. UConn is back to the Big East.

Reaction Score
So every priveleged kid does well on std tests? Didn’t know that. Figured there would be a range of scores. Is the correlation linear between level of privilege and scores? So the top 1% $$ Are all in the top 1% of test scores?

Reaction Score
Yeah, my daughter had two SAT tests cancelled without notice. Looks like almost every school will have to be test optional next year. That will help some and hurt others. I certainly wish we hadn't spent a bunch of money on a prep course.

The main concerns I have are that we really now have very poor ability to know where a 2020-21 senior will get in. Even guidance counselors will be guessing as it will be new at most schools. Also, visits, will they happen at all? I hope so. Committing to go somewhere for four years without visiting isn't something I think they should have to do.
Is this the first child of yours going through the college search? I've gone through this process (and it is a big process these days!) with both of my sons and was extensively involved. The SAT/ACT isn't as important as you would think. Other things a student has are much more important. Although my sons mostly looked at small liberal arts colleges and I will admit the bigger schools did place more emphasis on standardized test scores than the LACs.

I know when using Naviance the only quantitative data sets they can put on the graph are GPA and standardized test scores. It's impossible to analyze the extra curriculars and a student's involvement/leadership in those activities but they are just as important, if not more important, than standardized test scores.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Is this the first child of yours going through the college search? I've gone through this process (and it is a big process these days!) with both of my sons and was extensively involved. The SAT/ACT isn't as important as you would think. Other things a student has are much more important. Although my sons mostly looked at small liberal arts colleges and I will admit the bigger schools did place more emphasis on standardized test scores than the LACs.

I know when using Naviance the only quantitative data sets they can put on the graph are GPA and standardized test scores. It's impossible to analyze the extra curriculars and a student's involvement/leadership in those activities but they are just as important, if not more important, than standardized test scores.

First and only. I am glad we started looking in the fall. She has good grades in all honors/AP classes at a private HS. So a good weighted GPA. Extracurricular are so-so, nothing great. No SAT may help her, or hurt her. We really don't know.

I am hoping we get some opportunity to visit colleges by late summer/fall. That was supposed to be a big activity for the family this summer (canceled a trip over April break).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom