No Polley? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

No Polley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
People benching 225 lbs. at commercial gyms isn't all that common. Here is a list of like 25 players at the NBA combine who couldn't bench 185 lbs.

First of all the fact that Durant couldn't bench 185, proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that if you are a guy putting up numbers on the court, your bench doesn't matter. Not one little bit.

Second of all the people comparing Akok Akok's body type to KD's may be under the influence of hallucinogenic substances. Both are tall & skinny & had achilles injuries, one is among the best scorers in NBA history making 30MM++ /year with access to the best healthcare, trainers, nutritionists etc in the world. The other is a promising reserve in college with a cool name.

Third I looked at that list (since 2000) and there have to be a ton of guys missing. Scrolling thru 7 years I''ll take the under on: 2001 - Desagna Diop, Joe Forte, Sam Dalembert, 2002 - Dunleavy, 2003 - Darko, Marcus Banks, 2004 - Robert Smith, 2005 - Gerald Green, Hakim Warrick, 2006 - Adam Morrison, Renaldo Balkman
2007 - Yi Jianilin, Bellineli. Lot of Celtics or almost Celtics on the list so I think Danny Ainge might do the same thing as those comparing Akok to Durant, find two/100 similar traits (weak & play basketball) & assume this will create similar players.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
People benching 225 lbs. at commercial gyms isn't all that common. Here is a list of like 25 players at the NBA combine who couldn't bench 185 lbs.

that's crazy - an athlete should be able to train to bench 185 relatively quickly if they can't already.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
that's crazy - an athlete should be able to train to bench 185 relatively quickly if they can't already.

I am no expert, but my understanding is that long arms make bench presses much more difficult. Long legs the same with squats.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I am no expert, but my understanding is that long arms make bench presses much more difficult. Long legs the same with squats.

Doing multiple reps sure. Doing 1 single rep at likely less than your body weight? After having at least a month to train?

That’s concerning about simply work ethic at some level.

Reaction Score
Doing multiple reps sure. Doing 1 single rep at likely less than your body weight? After having at least a month to train?

Maybe they worry about it affecting their shot, or the injury risk. Seems rational to me, assuming they've already demonstrated they have the speed, hops, and basketball IQ necessary.

Reaction Score
Tyler is moving very slowly on defense which is why he had 4 fouls in 4 minutes. He has been wide open on a bunch of shots and can't seem to make them. I hope he can come around,we really need the shooting.
I was hoping he'd look like the guy he did in his last game last year... the one that rebounded and scored... but it might be too soon.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Once he’s able to play he needs to be out there with Bouknight to both open lanes/create space for Bouk and to hit drive and kick/in and out threes, that shot will always be open with Bouk on the court

Reaction Score

I'd bet a lot of money that Durant never performed one rep of a bench press prior to the combine. He was the number 2 pick by a mile and may have been number 1 if several different teams had that pick.

IIRC his vertical sucked also but again that didn't really matter either.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was hoping he'd look like the guy he did in his last game last year... the one that rebounded and scored... but it might be too soon.

I was hoping but not expecting that. It was really the only game I can recall him playing that way in four years. I think he’s mostly a one dimensional catch and shoot player, with decent perimeter D and poor interior D and rebounding. Still useful, but he needs people to get him those shots.

Reaction Score
People say that but I don't really think there's truth to it. If you're tall and really skinny you are at a disadvantage but same if you're short and skinny. The bench press is all about mass, more than probably any other lift if you gain bodyweight your press will go up. The best bench presser ever is 6'6 but he's a house.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I'd bet a lot of money that Durant never performed one rep of a bench press prior to the combine. He was the number 2 pick by a mile and may have been number 1 if several different teams had that pick.

IIRC his vertical sucked also but again that didn't really matter either.

Kevin Durant has the height and length of a center, and and the skills of a point guard.

He literally shoots over everyone who can stay in front of him.

But yeah his combine was bad. But perhaps just a matter of preparation than anything else

Reaction Score
Hamidou being on that list makes me laugh. I go to Putnam for work all the time and he had nothing else to do except train. If I remember correctly his HS coach says there were work ethic issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom