No Polley? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No Polley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whatever the reason he's being held out today, I'm always amazed at how fast these kids are rushed back from ACL and achilles tears compared to the pros. It's hella reckless.

The incentives are absurdly different for both the player and the organization.

NBA player: gets paid regardless
NCAA player: gets nothing, needs to play in order to get drafted

NBA org.: building a super team with a small window, better to get 3 superstar years than 4 compromised years; long season and resting for playoffs is a thing
NCAA org.: short season means if you don't integrate a player early, it's a lost year; limited years of eligibility

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
So, 700 guys cover the team, but nothing yesterday (or today) about this?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So, 700 guys cover the team, but nothing yesterday (or today) about this?
I read in the Register this morning that he was held out related to the COVID protocol.

Reaction Score
Not so much that bench press even matters, but I mean. It’s 185 pounds (nfl is 225) and he had like 6 weeks to train for it.

The weight room is a whole different world when you've got a 7'5" wingspan.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The weight room is a whole different world when you've got a 7'5" wingspan.

Sure. But we are talking about one.

A single rep.

Less than his body weight

Reaction Score
I don't understand the "Polley wasn't ready to return" people. He was literally cleared by doctors and has looked good physically. We could have used a shooter and a versatile 4 yesterday...

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
A lot of NBA players can't bench 185 lbs.
That's bonkers. I'm not very in shape and when I was lifting 3x a week I could bench 225. If someone in the NBA can't bench 185 that's a problem lol

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I don't understand the "Polley wasn't ready to return" people. He was literally cleared by doctors and has looked good physically. We could have used a shooter and a versatile 4 yesterday...
Cleared by doctors and looking good physically is a whole different animal than playing defense, shooting and otherwise being the versatile 4 you are looking for.

Reaction Score
Also he was literally not cleared by the doctors to play yesterday, which is why he sat out

Reaction Score
I think UConn athletics is bumping in to the stringent state regulations… And naturally some friction, so Hurley needs to play the politics, which is why he is slow to answer those questions to media

Reaction Score
Polley did test positive but 3 days later he was already negative. Maybe he wasn’t able to practice though? Similar to Springs earlier in the season.

Maybe they found some sort of Covid related irregularity and they are trying to prevent another Keyontae Johnson scenario? I hope that's not the case but I understand why the medical staff would want to be extra cautious.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I assume he didn't get his final negative test in time.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Maybe they found some sort of Covid related irregularity and they are trying to prevent another Keyontae Johnson scenario? I hope that's not the case but I understand why the medical staff would want to be extra cautious.
Good to hear Keyontae is continuing to improve, but still remains unclear why he collapsed

Reaction Score
Back to Polley, need him in the line up and get him some shots. I wasn't sure because depth seemed like a gift this year but early on, he and Akok will be welcomed back for so many reasons. Maybe we will even have 2 guys over 6'3 occasionally on the court again beginning in 2021.

By the way while I'm thinking of it, Whaley did such a great job of avoiding foul trouble last year when he realized we had no depth at the bigs - he needs to get back there. His 3rd foul was plain ol stupid for him, he's smarter than that and once again needs to realize we need him on the court more than on the bench!!!!

Reaction Score
That's bonkers. I'm not very in shape and when I was lifting 3x a week I could bench 225. If someone in the NBA can't bench 185 that's a problem lol
People benching 225 lbs. at commercial gyms isn't all that common. Here is a list of like 25 players at the NBA combine who couldn't bench 185 lbs.

Reaction Score
Back to Polley, need him in the line up and get him some shots. I wasn't sure because depth seemed like a gift this year but early on, he and Akok will be welcomed back for so many reasons. Maybe we will even have 2 guys over 6'3 occasionally on the court again beginning in 2021.

By the way while I'm thinking of it, Whaley did such a great job of avoiding foul trouble last year when he realized we had no depth at the bigs - he needs to get back there. His 3rd foul was plain ol stupid for him, he's smarter than that and once again needs to realize we need him on the court more than on the bench!!!!
Tyler is moving very slowly on defense which is why he had 4 fouls in 4 minutes. He has been wide open on a bunch of shots and can't seem to make them. I hope he can come around,we really need the shooting.

Reaction Score
On Polly's return, it appears that heart testing is done only after everything else. Time frames are unclear to me but here is a quote from Jay Wright that appeared in yesterday's Philly Inquirer “When you hear like a 14-day quarantine, it’s not. It was 23 days, with the heart test."

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
People benching 225 lbs. at commercial gyms isn't all that common. Here is a list of like 25 players at the NBA combine who couldn't bench 185 lbs.

Some of those are really surprising.

Others are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member