No, not TJ | The Boneyard

No, not TJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry, not wetting myself because of victories over Rutgers and Temple. If that's the criteria for hiring a coach we could have kept P.

We need someone to come in and change the culture. Let TJ learn his head coaching lessons somewhere else. Let's bring in someone with the heft to make that happen.

Reaction Score
LOL - my thougths exactly nelson. However, Palatine, in response to the 'we need someone to come in and change the culture,' the culture has changed, even if a number of people here fail to notice it.

Reaction Score
The culture hasn't changed a bit.

It won't happen over night. It has to do with recruiting, perception and self imagine.

We need a whole new crew to change the culture.

BTW, all the other threads are "hire TJ" threads.

Reaction Score
actually agree with palatine here. I'm sure TJW is a good guy, and would get the program going in the right direction, but I just don't think he is the right guy at this time. Bottom line is we just got excited about beating temple (coming from behind) and a under achieving rutgers team. Once upon a time didn't we expect to eat these teams every year? Now we want to promote someone for doing it?

Reaction Score
actually agree with palatine here. I'm sure TJW is a good guy, and would get the program going in the right direction, but I just don't think he is the right guy at this time. Bottom line is we just got excited about beating temple (coming from behind) and a under achieving rutgers team. Once upon a time didn't we expect to eat these teams every year? Now we want to promote someone for doing it?
Actually, your post identifies why TJ might not get a look...the over inflated view people here have of UConn football history. "...expect to eat these teams every year..". Yes, some expect that, but reality has not backed that up. Last 10 yrs against Rutty...they are 6-4 against us (not just HCPP era). I have no idea if TJ is the guy, but what he has done keeping this team together, reversing the damage done by the previous regime, putting out the dumpster fire, and actually having them stay in the game when they could have choked (and would have over the last couple of years, see Temple last year) absolutely makes him qualified. He has clearly made some mistakes and is learning on the job, but the folks who though he had any chance of winning 5 games after HCPP was fired were self medicating. It was NEVER possible for ANY coach to step in and do that. With limited practice time you cannot reverse two years in two months...and TJ has actually started it sooner than I expected.
I'm a grad, my wife is a grad, and I have never threatened to throw my season tickets away, but I am a realist.

Reaction Score
Is it his fault there are no teams left on the schedule that would impress u guys. There just isnt a competituve team left on the schedule that will suffice as a good evaluation of the teams improvemnt. All the tough teams were played during the transition and no coach would have change over that fast

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Srqhusky said:
Is it his fault there are no teams left on the schedule that would impress u guys. There just isnt a competituve team left on the schedule that will suffice as a good evaluation of the teams improvemnt. All the tough teams were played during the transition and no coach would have change over that fast

Well he could have been competitive against UCF, Louisville, Cincinnati or SMU then right?

Guess all those blow outs were just bad timing.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
Well he could have been competitive against UCF, Louisville, Cincinnati or SMU then right?

Or they are huge product of a new head coach trying to find their/his identity. I'm anticipating your blessing on the next head coach at UCONN as I'm sure Warde has your number on speed dial.

Reaction Score

Actually we were competitive against SMU, if Cochran had played against Louisville that game probably would have been competitive, most of the team played well vs Ville but Boyle just wasn't ready this year. It's unfortunate the staff didn't discover Cochran sooner.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Because there is never a transition period when a new coach comes in. He has already won as many games as edsall in his whole first year. You should be impressed. He has a good chance to pass him sat for most wins since taking over a program.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Srqhusky said:
Because there is never a transition period when a new coach comes in. He has already won as many games as edsall in his whole first year. You should be impressed. He has a good chance to pass him sat for most wins since taking over a program.

You could play internet tough guy making challenging statements if you hadn't spent every last bit credibility on supporting Pasqualoni.

Another fact that might help your credibility is that Edsall won 4 games his first year at UConn - so guess what you managed to be wrong again.

Reaction Score
You could play internet tough guy making challenging statements if you hadn't spent every last bit credibility on supporting Pasqualoni.

Another fact that might help your credibility is that Edsall won 4 games his first year at UConn - so guess what you managed to be wrong again.

Just because he doesn't make 400K a year like you and your wife doesn't mean he's not as smart as you.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
sportsart said:
Just because he doesn't make 400K a year like you and your wife doesn't mean he's not as smart as you.

I guess that is plausible. Good thing we have his posts so we can be sure.

Reaction Score
Lets see what happens next week. I think you have to look at how the team is progressing in various phases of the game. From what I see, there is vast improvement which is borne out by numbers. That speaks volumes. While a quicker turn around was hoped for, I think it just shows how bad the team was. They were literally at the bottom of college football in all major offensive categories. The last game was greatly different in character from all others. There was a credible, reasonable well executing team on the field. If anything, the D left a lot to be desired.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Of course it's not TJ's fault the schedule ends on a limp note. But life ain't fair. And I'm just not willing to give him a pass based on the supposed toughness of the AAC conference. Manuel said it simply when someone asked at the press conference what Weist had to do - 'win" was the answer. And Louisville/Cincy/UCF aren't bad but they aren't exactly the SEC West either.

Even against lesser competition, the team did not appear any more prepared for the USF game than they did under P, and Weist had two weeks to prepare. USF is a bad team, period. Rutgers was the first game where UConn came out of the gate looking prepared. And they're a bad team too.

Reaction Score

Another fact that might help your credibility is that Edsall won 4 games his first year at UConn - so guess what you managed
Not if i was referring to edsall taking over at maryland. I will be hapoy with whoever we get and support them. Are u going to be able to handle it or are u going to whine for three more years. I suggest u start your prozac now

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

If they hire another loser like Paul Pasqualoni yes I'll complain about it because it's unacceptable.

If they do hire another loser do us a favor and stay out of the way when those of us with a clue push for a change.

Reaction Score
If they hire another loser like Paul Pasqualoni yes I'll complain about it because it's unacceptable.

If they do hire another loser do us a favor and stay out of the way when those of us with a clue push for a change.

With 400K a year you can buy a lot of clues yes?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
With 400K a year you can buy a lot of clues yes?

Best part is that actually knowing Pasqualoni was a bad hire on day 1 was free! Pointing out I make a lot is a great insult!

Reaction Score
Best part is that actually knowing Pasqualoni was a bad hire on day 1 was free! Pointing out I make a lot is a great insult!

Maybe we should have a thread where people can tell everyone how much they make. Why don't you get it going.

$400K a year and your hanging here? Fool....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe we should have a thread where people can tell everyone how much they make. Why don't you get it going.

$400K a year and your hanging here? Fool....

That would actually be interesting. And when you saw some of the big numbers you could tell them to stop posting.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
LMAO at Art going full psycho exgf.

Even HFD didn't crash and burn this hard.

Reaction Score
And if TJ beats Memphis? It still means nothing.

Warde has a chance to make a clean break. Give the Huskies a fresh start. Day one all over again. And what the new coach says will be important.

Keep TJ and the signal is clear. Same old. Same old.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
And if TJ beats Memphis? It still means nothing.

Warde has a chance to make a clean break. Give the Huskies a fresh start. Day one all over again. And what the new coach says will be important.

Keep TJ and the signal is clear. Same old. Same old.

not sure I agree… I think that if we have a clean interview period, and when all candidates layout their plans for managing the enterprise, Warde chooses based upon that. The goals, the organization skills the feedback on past leadership, and the plan to post academic and on field success.

If TJ can out-interview, then he will be successful and the coach, not a hold-over. Basically, he's able to assemble his plan in this interim role and present it. He may not have had the opportunity in the previous roles as position coach, but now he has a bit of credibility to qualify for the interview.

I don't think he gets any leeway from Warde in the process. He will need to out-interview to get this job.

I like him and hope he does well wherever he lands, and I wouldn't mind seeing him land here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom