No Moxie | The Boneyard

No Moxie

Reaction Score
This team does not a person with a dominating personality on the court. I thought C. Williams had it or showed flashes of having some moxie at times last year but it has not translated into this year. Everyone seems on edge like Geno is rattling their confidence. In the past some players can hear Geno but still play their game. The one thing that Paige B. has is that moxie to hear Geno but still play her game and in turn keep everyone relaxed on the court. No knock on Crystal its not just her, this will be a much different team with her at the point guard position.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
1579336194275.png

Reaction Score
I may be way off and have absolutely no insight into the team, coaches, etc. FWIW, this is an opinion gleamed from TV observations and the application of what I “think” I know from a lifetime of being addicted to the game. I would start Makurat and give her the ball, with Williams assisting setting up the offense. I would move Dangerfield into a wing and let her focus on attacking and scoring.
Reasons, it will somewhat reduce Dangerfield’s work load, simplify her role on offense and let her focus on what clearly (to me at least) is her greatest offensive strength.
I believe it will also take advantage of Makurat‘s maturity, which up to now, seems to be manifesting as a negative as she struggles to fit in and carve out a “role” within the team, too often deferring to others. She appears to me to not be remotely “afraid of the moment”, and IMO that is what this team needs the most, as reflected in the post introducing this thread.
IMO, the solution to this team realizing its potential is not physical but rather developing chemistry and on court leadership, so again, from afar, that is my suggestion as the best way to get there.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I may be way off and have absolutely no insight into the team, coaches, etc. FWIW, this is an opinion gleamed from TV observations and the application of what I “think” I know from a lifetime of being addicted to the game. I would start Makurat and give her the ball, with Williams assisting setting up the offense. I would move Dangerfield into a wing and let her focus on attacking and scoring.
Reasons, it will somewhat reduce Dangerfield’s work load, simplify her role on offense and let her focus on what clearly (to me at least) is her greatest offensive strength.
I believe it will also take advantage of Makurat‘s maturity, which up to now, seems to be manifesting as a negative as she struggles to fit in and carve out a “role” within the team, too often deferring to others. She appears to me to not be remotely “afraid of the moment”, and IMO that is what this team needs the most, as reflected in the post introducing this thread.
IMO, the solution to this team realizing its potential is not physical but rather developing chemistry and on court leadership, so again, from afar, that is my suggestion as the best way to get there.
Christyn played some point at UCF. I don’t remember what the effect was on Crystal that night but CW was more than capable

Reaction Score
CD is more of a scorer & spot shooter than a traditional PG & floor general. Her assist to TO ratio is not what you want from a PG. That's fine, but it's just another example of how confusing this offense is to the players & they are unclear on their roles.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The beagle is Moxie, she is the smallest of my 3 dogs, but Moxie rules.

Attachments

• 2019-12-21_16-12-23_089.jpg
    2019-12-21_16-12-23_089.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 112
Reaction Score
I think what you say is absolutely right on. I haven't thought that Dangerfield looked like a point guard from day 1. She really is looking to get herself into position to shoot, whereas Makurat , at this point, is a pass-first player. and she is an effective passer with good court vision. free up Crystal to penetrate with that nasty short jumper, and take her threes. I also don't see Makurat afraid to take over the point.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
That's thinking outside the box, with much validity. Personally, I am torn between what I want to see happen and what I think will happen. I think Dangerfield will continue as "floor leader," but with two handicaps. One is that she is an injured 5'5" pg. Her A/T ratio and confidence is going to suffer simply because it's tough for her to look over the defense. Meanwhile, Irwin is out there telling people what to do, and even signalling where to pass, which hints at another Dangerfield handicap. Not sure precisely what that handicap is, I only know that some of her leadership should not be administered by the fifth option in the line-up, even if she is a senior. Thus, I suspect Irwin will continue to start, at least until someone else fills that void or the offense as a whole clicks.

Personally, I liked that Irwin got a good run as a starter; she earned it. I also will be OK with Makurat taking that over by the tournaments for a similar reason I am cheering for Irwin now. I suspect Makurat continues to play a role in the team's success in the future, but with Bueckers, Muhl, Williams and Westbrook available I do not see how she will start again after this year, even if Fudd does not come aboard, but particularly if she does. I think I mentioned elsewhere I actually think Griffin's chances as a future starter are greater, even though her value to the team is less right now. I am fully behind your (Littlemin's) vision. However, Makurat will have to not only be confident but instinctive as to her leadership within the context of this offense. Perhaps that can happen by tournament time; that is what I would like to see happen.

Reaction Score

from my observations AM is not quick enough nor a good enough ball handler to bring the ball up court especially under pressure.............don't confuse being a good passer with being a good point guard................CD could certainly use a break now and again but she's proven herself to be more then competent at the point guard position the past three and a half years...........let's get the other four players involved moving/cutting as they've been trained and take it from there................

Reaction Score
from my observations AM is not quick enough nor a good enough ball handler to bring the ball up court especially under pressure.............don't confuse being a good passer with being a good point guard................CD could certainly use a break now and again but she's proven herself to be more then competent at the point guard position the past three and a half years...........let's get the other four players involved moving/cutting as they've been trained and take it from there................
Understand but I disagree; against real pressure the pass is always a better option than the dribble anyway. As for Dangerfield as a point guard, my argument is not that she is not better than competent there but rather that I see her skills more suited to this team off the ball creating offense. Obviously that was not needed with Collier and Samuelson previously.

Reaction Score
A better balance between inside-outside and around-the-circle ball movement complemented with a shoot-pass-dribble priority is what the coach has been asking for. Team is not attacking the basket. I have done some cursory math and the statisticians can verify (or disagree) - we take far fewer shots than most leading teams.

Reaction Score
AM is already frequently involved in bringing ball up the court. We are used to short fast point guards at UConn and perhaps the necessarily higher dribble of a 6’ 1” point guard is more open to disruption but a quick passing PG can make up for it. Also height gives her court vision as height gives quarterbacks field vision. As to whether or not she makes starting lineup next year, I don’t count her out. There will be two openings, three if you think Christyn might be pushed or Meg sees dollar signs.

First, we are assuming incoming freshmen will actually live up to their hype. Second, AM has possibilities on both wing and guard. Next year UConn will still be without a bruiser at post so it will need special skills at 1-4. If Anna starts averaging 17-25 points a game—a definite possibility, especially since you know Paige, if she’s a starter, won’t hesitate to pass to Anna. Finally, Anna is a freshman who sees her role to this point as deferring to older players. With the core mostly out of the game, it forced her to take charge, to do everything they did, so the assists, the rebounds were collected, the treys dropped and more importantly the drives to the basket and remarkable body control were on display. I could see a starting five of Paige, Meg (assuming she doesn’t opt for WNBA), Ono, Anna and either Christyn or Aubrey, though more likely Aubrey and Edwards sharing 6th man duties depending on formations.

Reaction Score
With the new WNBA pay increases and longer proposed season I fear Megan will forgo her senior season...good for her not so good for us but she deserves a good future...

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I could see a starting five of Paige, Meg (assuming she doesn’t opt for WNBA), Ono, Anna and either Christyn or Aubrey, though more likely Aubrey and Edwards sharing 6th man duties depending on formations.

Evina doesn’t even get the nod as at least number 7? Goodness.

With the new WNBA pay increases and longer proposed season I fear Megan will forgo her senior season...good for her not so good for us but she deserves a good future...

I can’t see Megan leaving Evina considering their friendship is likely a big part of why she landed in Storrs, and I don’t see Evina leaving without playing at least a season for UConn.

Reaction Score
AM is already frequently involved in bringing ball up the court. We are used to short fast point guards at UConn and perhaps the necessarily higher dribble of a 6’ 1” point guard is more open to disruption but a quick passing PG can make up for it. Also height gives her court vision as height gives quarterbacks field vision. As to whether or not she makes starting lineup next year, I don’t count her out. There will be two openings, three if you think Christyn might be pushed or Meg sees dollar signs.

First, we are assuming incoming freshmen will actually live up to their hype. Second, AM has possibilities on both wing and guard. Next year UConn will still be without a bruiser at post so it will need special skills at 1-4. If Anna starts averaging 17-25 points a game—a definite possibility, especially since you know Paige, if she’s a starter, won’t hesitate to pass to Anna. Finally, Anna is a freshman who sees her role to this point as deferring to older players. With the core mostly out of the game, it forced her to take charge, to do everything they did, so the assists, the rebounds were collected, the treys dropped and more importantly the drives to the basket and remarkable body control were on display. I could see a starting five of Paige, Meg (assuming she doesn’t opt for WNBA), Ono, Anna and either Christyn or Aubrey, though more likely Aubrey and Edwards sharing 6th man duties depending on formations.

I'm not saying AM shouldn't be handling the ball at times, it's just I don't see CD having point guard responsibilities being taken away at this point in her career..................if AM can consistently score 14 points plus per game along with her passing and rebounding abilities it will be hard to leave her out of the lineup.............that said it's one thing to score points in a no pressure situation against Tulsa, let's see those shots go in against Tennessee and Oregon.............

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Maria Conlon or AM? Im
Not saying that she should become the lead guard and have CD move off the ball, and I know the game is evolving since non-speed burner Maria handled the ball with steadiness. , but speed is not an issue that I see with AM. She uses change of pace well-maybe more important than pure speed, is quite court aware, and is learning when to drive.

Reaction Score
Good for her just as she was starting to come into her own. I worry more about what the new agreement will not only do to UConn but the entire landscape of women’s college basketball. I would hate to see it turn out to be a one and done like the men’s game,

Reaction Score
Evina doesn’t even get the nod as at least number 7? Goodness.

I can’t see Megan leaving Evina considering their friendship is likely a big part of why she landed in Storrs, and I don’t see Evina leaving without playing at least a season for UConn.
Forgive me for leaving Evina out of the equation. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess. Still....who knows how she performs in UConn uniform. We are seeing how Anna could develop.

Reaction Score
Forgive me for leaving Evina out of the equation. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess. Still....who knows how she performs in UConn uniform. We are seeing how Anna could develop.

a really good and deep roster will be a nice problem to have for a change................

Reaction Score
I'm not saying AM shouldn't be handling the ball at times, it's just I don't see CD having point guard responsibilities being taken away at this point in her career..................if AM can consistently score 14 points plus per game along with her passing and rebounding abilities it will be hard to leave her out of the lineup.............that said it's one thing to score points in a no pressure situation against Tulsa, let's see those shots go in against Tennessee and Oregon.............
Agreed. Anna’s real problem, as shown in Tulsa game, is she defers to her “elders.” She owned the fourth quarter when they were on bench and she was free to play her game. The core four are going to remain on floor. Anna needs the confidence to say, “I belong with you.” That is an incredible hurdle for any freshman but especially so for a young girl coming from Poland. I really don’t expect her to score 21 points every night with this line-up but 12-16 is a distinct possibility and 12-16 could mean the Final Four.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom