No more small ball | The Boneyard

No more small ball

Reaction Score
Ollie has to trust his 2 guards 3 forwards lineup:

These guards need rest and the media timeouts isn’t enough.. we should always have one guard on the bench, so we can sub in and out these guys can’t play 50 mins and expect them to be at their best ...

We have at least 3 scorers on the court with vital Adams Larrier now we put Mamadou n Carlton or Whaley we should be in good shape

We go small with 3 guards n 2 forwards and were not getting anything from our 3rd guard with AA and that’s hurting us, he giving us nothing for the mins he plays , so why is he in there

Reaction Score
Anderson should never see the court again.
Who should spell Adams? Vital is barely viable as a ball handler. Cobb may be our third best dribbler after Anderson. So Cobb should be our back up point guard. I like how you think. That will cause issues.

Reaction Score

These guards need rest and the media timeouts isn’t enough.. we should always have one guard on the bench, so we can sub in and out these guys can’t play 50 mins and expect them to be at their best ...

We have at least 3 scorers on the court with vital Adams Larrier now we put Mamadou n Carlton or Whaley we should be in good shape

We go small with 3 guards n 2 forwards and were not getting anything from our 3rd guard with AA and that’s hurting us, he giving us nothing for the mins he plays , so why is he in there
Ideally yes but their overall decision making remains suspect specifically shot selection and taking are of the ball consistently. This includes getting through screens and related rotations on defense. Progress is the goal at this point. Growth as a team and a winning season is probably the most we can ask for at this point. This conference is a solid basketball conference.

Reaction Score
Who should spell Adams? Vital is barely viable as a ball handler. Cobb may be our third best dribbler after Anderson. So Cobb should be our back up point guard. I like how you think. That will cause issues.

Give the walk ons a chance.

Reaction Score
3 guard lineup kills us cause Larrier is essentially a guard himself. Not enough toughness to block out and rebound. Not enough explosiveness in the group either.

Reaction Score
3 guard lineup kills us cause Larrier is essentially a guard himself. Not enough toughness to block out and rebound. Not enough explosiveness in the group either.
Exactly we need those big guys and I really need to see what Polley can do with 10-12 mins a game giving Larrier a breather , give kwintin 8-10 mins , I mean you brought them here why not play them , especially with Sid having to sit this year out

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There aren’t a lot of “right” answers with a roster this bad.

There is no one in the front court ready to contribute on an every game basis and some of them will achieve competence about three years after they graduate college.

None of the guards are above-average ball handlers, none of them are point guards, one of them will happily shoot us out of games and another, while trying really hard, just cannot do much against the teams we’re playing.

The constant juggling of lineups reeks of scapegoating to me - at best, it’s a frightening display of indecision.

I’d like to see Polley, Diarra and Carlton play if for no other reason than I’m worried about what happens at the end of the year if they don’t. Whaley’s fine in a ‘ he runs around a lot and seems to be trying’ sort of way. Williams, DO...eh.

Reaction Score
There aren’t a lot of “right” answers with a roster this bard.

There is no one in the front court ready to contribute on an every game basis and some of them will achieve competence about three years after they graduate college.

None of the guards are above-average ball handlers, none of them are point guards, one of them will happily shoot us out of games and another, while trying really hard, just cannot do much against the teams we’re playing.

The constant juggling of lineups reeks of scapegoating to me - at best, it’s a frightening display of indecision.

I’d like to see Polley, Diarra and Carlton play if for no other reason than I’m worried about what happens at the end of the year if they don’t. Whaley’s fine in a ‘ he runs around a lot and seems to be trying’ sort of way. Williams, DO...eh.

As far as "what happens end of the year" Polley seems puzzled by his inability to win minutes (as am I, one of the few with a one mistake rope) and Diarra was not very engaged during a couple of TO's actually looking to walk around the outside to get further away from the huddle, guessing he would've liked more than 17 minutes in a 50 minute game and I can't blame him as 29 for Anderson meant too much 3 guard offense for me. Whaley falls in on need the to see him the rest of the year very active kid does a nice job on the offensive boards, not rebounds alone but keeping balls alive. And while not being a great defender has that ability with some time, great fee, quickness and length although he does seem at times to just be running around like a chicken with his head cut off.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Just go with an 8 man rotation like this:

Adams as many minutes as possible, backed up by Anderson;

Larrier, Vital, and Polley share the time at the 2/3, with Larrier getting the most minutes and the other two splitting what's left;

Diarra, Whaley, and Carlton share the minutes at the 4/5 equally, with Cobb filling in when there's foul trouble (and there will be).

That's it. And run sets for everyone on the floor, because we need to progress as a team a hell of a lot more than we need to try to grind out wins by grinding Adams into dust.

Reaction Score
What is Anderson’s height and weight? He looks to be 5’9” 160. If you add that to the fact that Jalen and Vital (6’1”) are not that big our lineup always looks tiny compared to who we play.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Our stat line looked ok until I looked at free throws. UC 9-14 UT 25-36. I know we are a sub average defense but the disparity speaks more to our offense to me. We are a jump shooting team. Jump shooters don't draw fouls. JA can get to the line but at the same time he is also throwing up some wild runners and not getting fouled. BTW, yes, Anderson needs to play. About 15 minutes a game spelling JA and CV. Look at his stat line AGAIN last night. He should not be on the floor for 30 minutes a night.

Reaction Score
Tulsa a jump shooting team too lol 41 attempts from 3 and shot a season high 36 free throws .. crazy ... I know Jalen can be a lil wild at times but him only getting 9 free throws in 50 mins when I saw four times he get his arm swiped or getting bodied at the rim go uncalled .. he easily should be at the line 13-15 times a game and he only took 4 3’s outta 25 field attempts

Reaction Score

I agree especially on defense. I thought having 3 guards on that last play of regulation was strange, Anderson could barely get his hand in his face. I guess he thinks that his forward would have been standing in the paint and the shot wouldn't even be contested?I don't know. But on the offensive side you would hope it would help but Anderson really can't shoot at all and vital I like his energy but how can you be a guard and have such a lack of respect for the importance of decision making. I hope he gets better!

Reaction Score
When games on the line Ollie gets nervous and goes right back to the 3 guard line up with Larrier and he stayed that way almost all of OT and end of regulation. That lineup is an offense killer. I'm not sure we have a lineup that will score points or play well but I know that lineup is not it. That lineup just hangs out at the three point line and goes one on one.

Reaction Score
AA is only effective when he’s able to get into the lane then he becomes a dangerous passer either lob or good dish for an dunk or easy layup

QDOG5

Reaction Score
We have 18 assists against 7 TO's. We hold their best player to 3-15 and 1-10 from 3 and we lose. Dang.

C

Chief00

Magic Cobb!

QDOG5

Reaction Score
I don't mean to pile on AA but who is to blame for the pass with 12 seconds left in the first OT. I'll start with KO because once again he didn't screen anyone on the play. He might also be blamed for having the shortest player on the roster inbound the ball. We all know our big men are useless to KO but maybe having TL inbounds might have made sense. In the end it was AA who passed to a double teamed JA right under the opposition basket. He could have thrown a pass and led CV into our end of the court but that would have been too risky. Whatever

Reaction Score
I would like to see more of Polley. I think he has real upside. You could tell he really wanted to be in there down the stretch. I see something in the kid.

Reaction Score
We have 18 assists against 7 TO's. We hold their best player to 3-15 and 1-10 from 3 and we lose. Dang.
Still can’t believe it... I just want them to focus on perimeter defense no more guys going off on us from 3 for the rest of this season

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom